NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When'z he going to be weaned?

Greytness

At 13 weeks old he is still a baby. He should be getting 60cc each feeding or until he stops taking it at this age. Most greys are not fully weaned until 16 to 20 weeks. Keep your grey on 2 feeds a day and of course offer seeds, nut's, pellets, mashes etc. all times. Many greys will still enjoy a nice hot formula feeding in the morning or evening even when they are fully weaned. We kept offering Dayo formula until he decided he no longer wanted it at all. That was around 5 months of age.

Thank you for your reply. The breeder told me he was almost weaned, and that he was down to one feeding a day. He sent me home with a bag of formula mix to give him whenever he needed or wanted it. However, it became clear to me that he actually needed, and wanted, two feeds per day. We'd had the discussion of abundance feeding before I got him, but clearly he wasn't adhering to this particular philosophy for his weaning clutches.

I've been giving him 40cc's per feed, so I guess that I'm not giving him enough then. I'll bump it up today. He's doing great eating a variety of fresh veggies, fruits, pellets, and seeds, although I'm trying to wean him off those dyed Zupreem fruity pellets he came home on and onto the Harrison's. So far he's still noshing on the Zupreem ones. I'm also trying to get him off the large bill seeds, as I've been told they're not good for him over time. I'm offering him nuts as treats, and have placed a few inside his foraging toy.

I'm also trying to get him off the large bill seeds, as I've been told they're not good for him over time.

Seed mixes are prefectly fine for your grey. I would never reccomend cutting them personally. It is a part of the abundance menu. They will eat a little of everything and enjoy a well rounded and healthy diet. Just mix the nuts in with the seed mix or keep them as special treats for good behavior, training etc. :)

When I brought my Cag home he was still eating evening formula, but he ate other foods also. He was 5 months old. He is a big guy and after about 3 days just refused any formula. So as long as your grey wants formula I would provide it. Abundance feeding is always the best way to go. When you grey starts refusing formula/a feeding. That's when to stop.

I will add my 2 cents worth. My Peanut wasn't fully weaned until almost 5 months too. The last month was just an evening feeding - which my 2 year old Sun Conure shared. They still both enjoy an occasional bowl of oatmeal and cinnamon every once in a while - esp. in cold weather. They are now 8 and 10 yrs.