NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help! We have fowl-mouthed bird!

My partner and I purchased a 10 yr old African grey parrot named Buffet from a newspaper ad two weeks ago. The previous owner told us that she had an extensive vocabulary and even sang nursery rhymes. She never uttered a word until a few days ago when in the waiting rm at the vet's office, an elderly woman came near the cage and remarked at how pretty Buffet was. Buffet then exclaimed, "You b?#ch!" We were shocked, as was the woman. We didn't know if the woman reminded Buffet of someone. To make matters worse, since that day- she has started speaking in our home, unfortunately the most frequent word she says is the "F" word and some other things that mainly sound like muttering. No signs of nursery rhymes anywhere. We never use vulgarity in our home and have young children. Have we been duped as we paid a large sum of money for this parrot? We are trying to remain calm around her and speak in soft tones in the hopes that she will start repeating "nice things." Will the nasty language end if she learned it quite some time ago? Any suggestions/ advice appreciated.

Hi & Welcome Buffet12. The good news here is that as long as Buffet doesn't hear the words & has no reason to use them, eventually she might very well get bored & quit saying them entirely. Greys tend to practice until they're ready to debut something. Then, like young children repeat it over & over & over & over again. Until the next greyt fascination comes along.

The bad news is that the biggest reason Buffet would probably have to continue w/any sound, word or phrase is to get a reaction from her audience. The reason that's the bad news is because there is no fooling a grey. You cannot pretend it doesn't bother you. They read body language far too well.

Buffet has only been home for a couple of weeks. She would probably not have shown you even a fraction of her vocabulary because she's likely still not comfortable. Since Greys are renown for using language appropriately, or in this case inappropriately, in context, Buffet may be cussing up a storm because she's afraid of many things in her new environment. Hopefully as her new flock makes her feel less fearful, her vocabulary will start to reflect it.

It's important to avoid being shocked, angry or embarrassed because Buffet will either find that quite amusing or else feel threatened by the negative emotion. Either way, she's likely to continue w/the potty mouth. You need to ignore her & really mean it so that she'll move on as soon as possible.

In the meantime, singing to a new rehome is one way to help acclimate them to their new flock. So you could try singing Buffet nursery rhymes & hope for the best. You can also try Baby Einstein DVDs, children's TV, play whistling games or anything else you can think of.

I wish there was a quick easy fix. But w/some patience & genuine tolerance, she should improve & there's a realistic possibility that she will come around. Hope this helps. Good luck.

She may or may not lose the nasty language. And, yes, you were duped. Responsible parrot guardians will warn prospective buyers of any bad behaviors, language, and problems. She may know nursery rhymes, but, she's probably had a better reaction, like laughing, to the bad language, and continued to use it. Try not to react to what you don't want her to say, and make a big deal when she says something you like. Remember, those words, to her, are just sounds that humans make, and really mean very little to her. So, try to replace those words with better choices. Plus, I doubt it would serve any purpose, other than your own satisfaction, but, I'd call whoever you bought her from, and give them a piece of my mind. For misrepresenting the bird, for teaching her those words, and for selling it to you, knowing you have young children.

I have a grey named Smokey that is almost 3 years old , me and hubby are his 3rd home and boy did he swear big time when we first got him but he has slowed down on the swearing now I still hear a F--er every now and them but not near as much as I use to , I have been teaching him new words to say and playing nursery ryme songs for him to listen to ,don't worry it will pass in time , when he says bad words don't react , act like you have not even heard what he said

I can't help it.. I find it a bit funny..:P (I have no problems with swearing tho) Its just like with kids.. they say things they get reactions on.. I find Sweaing parrots cool tho.. (mine don't, I do:P) The parrot at the shop here say.. "uuughhh, grumpy customers" hahaha.. og well.. not much help from me, my parrots still say things that they have learned at their previous homes.. She more that him.. he is in a "peekabooo" and singing period:P anyways, good luck.. =)

Welcome to our forum. :)

The others have given very good input on this. Things said with gusto and emotion are picked up almost instantly by a grey as others have said. I would suggest using replacement sound a like words such as FUDGE! said with gusto when something bad happens for example. My grey picked up some foul words when our son and daughter in-law would come over and hang out at our home while we were at work and let their child swim in our pool outside. Needless to say I shocked the first time I strated hearing them come out. Anyway they were successfully replaced with sound a likes said with gusto like SHOOT!, GodDangit! etc. I will admit, once in a blue moon the others will come out. But, we normally don't hear them now for months at a time.

What the others are saying is what I experienced when we brought home a little character with a checkered past. Miss Gilbert had some unpleasant things in her vocabulary at first. I would ignore those things and as Dan says I would give her other things to replace those words. Just for instance, if she said "shut up you idiot", I would say "hush" or "quiet". When she said "idiot" with great emphasis, I would call out as if to a friend "Elliot". Slowly those things became less common. As time goes on, she has continued to say the sweet things that we reinforce and praise her for "night night, sweet dreams" "bye bye, see ya later" but we infrequently hear the other words. But, when she gets overwrought, she may come up with a word with great emotion behind it. One thing about soft tones, it is good while you are getting to know her and keeping her feel safe. Later when you are wanting her to pick up certain words as you snuff out the nasty language, a higher pitch and excited tone catches their attention and they will want to repeat those things said with emphasis and emotion. Good luck while you get to know her, you will make a difference in her life.

What is that old saying? "Live your life in such a way that you would be unafraid to give your parrot to the town gossip." or something like that, hahaha! We've wondered a bit about Inara's former people as she has clearly said F#$% You! and "You @ss!!" This has only been a few times, and since we've been working on "Thank you," I'm hoping that the first will extinguish eventually. The, "You Ass!" actually I think is a bit funny, and am considering trying to teach her to insert the word 'horse's' between 'the' and 'ass.' However, I only consider it, as what is funny once or twice is not so funny over the course of a lifetime with a feathered fowl-mouthed friend. LOLz :D

You've gotten some great advice, and if there is an upnote, at least you're assured that your bird is a talker. You can always make up a story that it was a bosun's mate on a submarine.....

In think the advice about replacement with similar sounding words is the way forward as well and ignoring the bad language. I know it is embarrassing and worrisome, but (duped or not), you are now sharing your life with a wonderful amazing new family member who will become a part of your heart. I look forward to hearing more about the other aspects of your grey soon.