NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Siblings

sbriesh

A friend found out I was researching birds with the intention of getting one for my family, and she wants to GIVE me her two greys. In all honesty, they were her mothers, but her mother passed away and my friend is in the military and doesn't have the time or inclination to keep them. Also, they remind her of her deceased mother, which is another heartache in itself.

Which leads me to my current situation - I have not owned a Grey before and have heard they can be a little more intense than some birds. Is getting a PAIR of them a disaster waiting to happen? Can they be kept together in the same cage? Also, she SAYS her mother bought 1 male and 1 female (siblings) but I am wondering if I need to worry about them breeding?? Also, as far as anyone can tell, there has been no DNA-backup to this gender claim. If they truly do bond to one human, what happens if we have 2? I will be the primary caregiver (though my children will help) - but does this mean they will both bond to ME? They are 8 months old, and from what I can tell are very "well behaved" (not sure what the appropriate term is in reference to birds). They aren't overly nervous, feathers are beautiful and intact (no stress plucking), they have no problems around my children or myself...

HELP! What would you do??

A friend found out I was researching birds with the intention of getting one for my family, and she wants to GIVE me her two greys. In all honesty, they were her mothers, but her mother passed away and my friend is in the military and doesn't have the time or inclination to keep them. Also, they remind her of her deceased mother, which is another heartache in itself.

Which leads me to my current situation - I have not owned a Grey before and have heard they can be a little more intense than some birds. Is getting a PAIR of them a disaster waiting to happen? Can they be kept together in the same cage? Also, she SAYS her mother bought 1 male and 1 female (siblings) but I am wondering if I need to worry about them breeding?? Also, as far as anyone can tell, there has been no DNA-backup to this gender claim. If they truly do bond to one human, what happens if we have 2? I will be the primary caregiver (though my children will help) - but does this mean they will both bond to ME? They are 8 months old, and from what I can tell are very "well behaved" (not sure what the appropriate term is in reference to birds). They aren't overly nervous, feathers are beautiful and intact (no stress plucking), they have no problems around my children or myself...

HELP! What would you do??

Well, you have good things going on here.First off, age---those birds are considered baby birds who can be easily trained.

Yes, they each need their own cage because each bird has theitr own unique personlity which needs to develop. AS they get older If both birds wind up being bullies, that problem will spread to each and fights may occur.

The next thing is family---if your whole family gets involved with the birds, favoritism lessens. Yes, a bird may like a certain person a little more than another person but lets face it, so do you. You like everyone equally??

The next thing is information---personalized information can be had on a board like this and ou can also buy reading material. Many people here have just brought home new young birds---8 mts is NOT old.

DNA====That's up to you. A person decides whether they wanna know if a bird/birds is male or female. Many people just don't care. BUT, both birds should get a very basic health check from an avian vet.

Loads and loads and loads of people here have adopted or rescued all types of birds. Almost all are adults who already have an established personality. Many are biters, pluckers, aggressive and sometimes unmanageable. Your birds dont.

Edited by Dave007

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you. These babies are so young they still have silver irises. In the wild a Congo African grey fledgling doesn't leave the clutch until they are about twice the age of your prospects. Dave has good advice. Its a good plan to have separate cages because you can open them and allow them togetherness as much as they like and allow them to sleep in their own place. Another consideration is the expense of vet visits which will be double. Check with a local avian vet and ask for the cost estimates in your area to give you a better insight on that. Good luck to you as you make the decision to enrich your life with a grey and all the love and hard work that naturally come with it.

Two greys can equal.

1. twice the work.

2. twice the time.

3. twice the fun and.

4. twice the rewords

The amount of work and time you put into your greys will effect the out come of number 3 & 4.

They sound like two very nice young greys,

If you think you have the time and willing to take on the job than go for it.