NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to stop your parrot from SCREAMING for attention...

lovethatgrey

I read that link in the email from her this morning from her blogs. I personally did not think it was all that informative other than just how she worked with a parrot she rehomed for a short while and a few others. I guess I was looking for something more substantial. One thing about screaming and contact calling over and over. It is a natural behavior for a parrot that has become separated from the flock. You can try and reduce it or replace an irritating scream or sound affect with something more pleasant like a nice whistle or phrase like I hear you. But, stopping it completely is very rare. Even Barbara did a replacement rather than totally stopping it. She did recommend ear plugs or the like to help ignore it. :)

Edited by danmcq

Personally, I found the article to be quite helpful and a good refresher for knowledge I already knew. :)

I hope readers are able to recognize the distinctions. There's a big difference between normal happy loud vocalizations and *incessant* SCREAMING. My parrots can be extremely LOUD at certain times of the day just for the sheer pleasure of it.

I don't consider that to be screaming.

I also own hearing protection. Helps me to have a live and let live attitude when it comes to parrot NOISE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My CAG, Kaleah, has just started doing this. She's always been a quieter bird. She makes happy sounds, whistles her made-up songs, and uses the few words she knows...but recently she started making this chirping sound that is so loud and shrill it goes right through me. She mostly does it when I'm out of view, but will occasionally make this shrill chirp when I'm in the same room as her. It has a very demanding or urgent edge to it, but the second I move to where she can see me, or I tell her that's enough, she tells me 'hello' and the noise stops -at least until she loses sight of me again. I don't want to encourage this kind of behavior, but seeing as I live in an apartment I find myself doing as she pleases just to keep her quiet.

UhOh! Time to meet your neighbors, and hope none of them work the night shift! Explain your bird is in " training", offer a dish for forgiveness. Let them know she is going to be very vocal during the training. The training will consist of.... ignoring her screaming. Tell her a firm " NO!" Ignore her when she screams, but pick her up when she is quiet.It will work. Nancy

Tyson used to scream constantly, to the point where I was considering rehoming him. I couldn't understand why all he was doing was screaming when he knows how to make so many other sounds. But after reading posts here and doing research online I realized that the screaming was my own fault. The screams were hurting my ears, and I would immediately respond with anger by yelling at Tyson or even spraying him with a squirt bottle if it got really bad. If he was quiet or made whistling or speaking sounds I'd ignore him. By doing those things I was making the screaming worse. I think parrots can be like attention-starved children - any kind of attention, even negative, is better than no attention at all.

I started to use ear plugs and ignore the screams. If he makes piercing sounds that hurt my ears I completely ignore him, I won't even look at him. If he whistles, speaks or makes other desirable sounds, I reply with a similar noise. It only took a few days for Tyson's screaming to almost disappear. I realize that parrots scream naturally and I will hear a few screams, but the key is to only reply to the sounds I want to hear. I've started singing to Tyson and he seems to enjoy that, and has been trying to sing back. Sometimes he will scream, then when I ignore him he switches immediately to whistling or speaking. I find I don't have to use the ear plugs much anymore.

• Haha 1

Just this morning I rearranged my living room, and then moved my desk and computer in there, so that I am now always where Kaleah can see me. And the noise continues. Yes, I realize parrots make noise, and I want her to be vocal, but this screaming for attention is almost more than I can take. It honestly is to the point where I am (sadly) considering rehoming her if she does not stop soon. I will not raise my voice to her, as she is a rescue and her former owners had been abusive...at least from what I was told. Because of whatever she experienced before me, Kaleah is a plucker and feather chewer.

Aside from that, she's also very bonded to me. Any time spent perched on my shoulder she just regurgitates on me...almost non stop. Her wings droop and she whimpers. Because of this, I limit the time she spends on my shoulder.

I do spend a lot of time with her, playing with toys with her (out of the cage of course), and even when I'm not in the same room I sing and talk to her, and mimic the songs she makes up. It doesn't seem like it's enough for her, though.

Tyson has a lot in common with Kaleah, he's a plucker too and he's extremely bonded to me. He has also had other homes before he came to me. I know where you're coming from re the rehoming, the screaming can really drive you nuts! That's where the earplugs come in.

Tyson still screams a few times a day, even when I'm sitting in the living room a few feet from his cage. That's when I put the earplugs in. You can get foam ones at most drug stores. They don't totally cancel out all noise, but they sure take the edge off of the screaming, and make it easier to ignore. I completely ignore Tyson when he screams - I don't even turn my head towards him. If I'm whistling or talking to him and he starts screaming, I stop, or even leave the room. I think it's also important to remember to reply in some way every time Kaleah makes the kind of noise you're OK with. It could be a whistle, a few words or even a small food treat. That reinforces the good noises and gives her a reason to make an acceptable noise, when she's in the mood to make noise. I also make sounds to Tyson when he's being quiet.

I don't allow Tyson on my shoulder. I'm afraid he'll bite my ear or face, even though he's never bitten me hard. He is cage aggressive, though. He sits in my lap and bugs me for head rubs for the whole time he's out of his cage. In spring and summer he regurgitates as well. Now that there's less light he's stopped doing it. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with him out of his cage, so I posted another thread asking about it. He only plays with toys inside his cage.

Try the earplugs if you can, or leave the room. I live in a small apartment so I can't go too far, that's why I got the earplugs. Hopefully if you follow the strict rule "scream = no attention, good noise/quiet = reply" Kaleah will start to get better.

I'm not sure if I should tackle this one on but I will try. Take my advice or leave it. It worked for us. If baby is trusting you, encourage the relationship. As far as regurg... I am okay with it, just encourage it to be done in my hand. Its not always sexual, but a bird letting you know they love you. Sophie now, will regurg to me after having a fun day of bonding. I always thank her. As far as bird that has not had a forever home... but has chosen you to be part of his family.... LOVE your bird, make them feel safe. They are more than willing to accept your expectations. They have no idea what " rules" mean. NO shoulder status for sure. When you are in their vicinity... cage door MUST be opened. Wrist status only. When they scream... say firmly NO! Return the bird in a " timeout cage". Pick them up again in five minutes. Discuss the screaming. If they do it again.... back into " timeout cage", for five minutes. Remember to pick your battles. Greys need to scream at times.Sophie, a decade later, hasn't been in timeout for a long time. She is allowed to scream her heart out at times. If it gets annoying, I quickly tell her " Sophie... shhhh!" She stops her nonsense. I distract her with books, toys, or a game. If that doesn't work, she gets a warning. Haven't gotten past the warning in a long time. They are truly like kids. Tempt you to the end! Nancy