NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

St. John's Wort

ajlinva

Just wondering if anyone has used St. John's Wort in their birds water to help with feather plucking. Someone told me about it for a plucking Eclectus that they have and it has helped temendously. I also have a male Eclectus that was plucking when we got him (about 5 years ago) and he continues to. We now are putting "sock buddies" on him and that is helping, since he tears up the sweater instead of his feathers. Wanted to know your thoughts on the St. John's Wort, if it is safe. Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has used St. John's Wort in their birds water to help with feather plucking. Someone told me about it for a plucking Eclectus that they have and it has helped temendously. I also have a male Eclectus that was plucking when we got him (about 5 years ago) and he continues to. We now are putting "sock buddies" on him and that is helping, since he tears up the sweater instead of his feathers. Wanted to know your thoughts on the St. John's Wort, if it is safe. Thanks

That type of herb is used by people. We advise you to go to your vet and inquire about it. There are no vets here and any info given out by members concerning drugs that aren't used for birds can cause problems both for you, your bird and this board.

I would not use that on my bird or in its water. There are plenty of safer stuff you can buy. I personally have had a lot of success with pluck no more from Kings cages. My greenwing is on the cover page of there website. Also someone has shared a secret with me and i was also doing the hormone shots i think is what its called. If your bird has been vet checked and is fine as far as any health issue, the best and cheapest thing to do is make sure you thoroughly soak your bird daily. You all wont believe the results i am getting from this. Whether it be let him take his shower daily or just you spray him really good once a day. I could not believe this when a friend told me this. Here i am spending a fortune on potions and vet bills and this is all it takes. Birds need water and a good soaking daily if you can try it and let me no. Ofcourse dont do this when its cold. I usually do it and then take them outside in the sun to dry and pick and preen themselves. Hope this helps.

I agree with carolz7 St. John's wort can be toxic, I would use Rescue Remedy on his food instead it is much safer.

St. John's Wort Overdose

"If you take too much St. John's wort, overdose symptoms may include fever, difficulty walking, hallucinations, and a rapid heart rate. This dangerous group of symptoms is called serotonin syndrome, which can be life-threatening. If you think you have overdosed on St. John's wort, seek immediate medical attention. Treatment may include pumping the stomach, inducing vomiting, or providing supportive care."

Just my two cents, and the Avian vet I have talked to. I know there is ALOT of feather plucking info here on this board, and different publications by notable folks that deal with this kind of thing.

In my opinion, as stated here before , parrots do not pluck in the wild unless it is a damaged feather.

So you have to figure out what is different from the domestic situation then the wild in your particular environment.

For us a humidifier, Avian light and spending more quality time fixed the problem.

The Vet said he could prescribe a drug to relax him and make it stop, however, it would start again when the drug was stopped.

In my previous career, I hold a degree in Emergency medical sciences, besides chronic illnesses, drugs are only good when, if not used in the situation of issues dealing with incompatibility with the life function are not going to do any good.

You have to find the cause.... in humans you have nail biting, and hair twisting and all sorts of nervous habits.....when under stress.

I cant imagine Parrots are that much different.

Hope I did not offend.

K

Edited by KevinD

Kevin yes you are right and the problem with these birds are that in the wild they are constantly working and looking for food and having to stay safe etc etc. Just had a talk with my vet last month and it is so complicated with these birds. I too have done the birdie Prozac, cant even spell it sorry. But like you said as soon as we stop the drugs the problem comes back. Also ever thing is provided for them, so they get bored just like we would if we sat around 24/7. I always say whomever finds the cure will be a millionaire instantly. We all try and read so much from lighting, to air quality to food to who knows what. I just wish there was a way we could resolve the plucking. Every time my guy starts plucking i feel like a failure and blame myself. And we all no that is not the problem also.

Thanks to all for the input, I have not given my bird any of it and I certainly won't now. I did speak with my vet today and she does not recommend it either. He has had a complete blood panel done and physically, he is fine. We have tried everything possible over the years, including pluck no more, didn't help. We are now using the sock buddy and he is growing feathers, but I feel like if we stop he will probably start plucking the feathers out again. But, at least he is warm, he is such a sweetie and his plucking does not change the way we feel about him. I just heard about this and thought I would ask you guys, guess I should have asked the vet first.

ajlinva - Thats what this forum is all about, asking questions, bouncing things off of others and trying to provide the best home for our greys as possible. :)

I think perhaps you took Dave's post wrong. When we do not know or suspect something may not be good or possibly even harmful to our greys, we always defer to asking an avian vet. We would never want to give advice off the cuff that we really have no clue about and end up harming anothers much loved grey by our incorrect and bad advice.

You've explored all avenues in trying to stop the plucking and kudo's to you for that! The sock your using now is sometimes necessary to stop the plucking of that area to give that irritated area time to heal and regrow feathers. You can take it off and mist with 100 percent Aloe Juice. let it dry and put the sock back on immediately. Perhaps if the re-feathering is accomplished using the sock, once taken off and the irritation from the previous plucking is gone, the plucking may just stop. You just never know until you have tried it. :)

I saw your request to be removed from membership. But, I believe somehow we may have offended you without any intention of doing so. Sometimes our words and intentions are misunderstood and taken the wrong way. You've been a member here since 2008 and I certainly hope you continue to be.

The only goal of this forum is to share information with each other and enjoy hearing about others greys and helping if we can. :)

ajlinva - Thats what this forum is all about, asking questions, bouncing things off of others and trying to provide the best home for our greys as possible. :)

I think perhaps you took Dave's post wrong. When we do not know or suspect something may not be good or possibly even harmful to our greys, we always defer to asking an avian vet. We would never want to give advice off the cuff that we really have no clue about and end up harming anothers much loved grey by our incorrect and bad advice.

You've explored all avenues in trying to stop the plucking and kudo's to you for that! The sock your using now is sometimes necessary to stop the plucking of that area to give that irritated area time to heal and regrow feathers. You can take it off and mist with 100 percent Aloe Juice. let it dry and put the sock back on immediately. Perhaps if the re-feathering is accomplished using the sock, once taken off and the irritation from the previous plucking is gone, the plucking may just stop. You just never know until you have tried it. :)

I saw your request to be removed from membership. But, I believe somehow we may have offended you without any intention of doing so. Sometimes our words and intentions are misunderstood and taken the wrong way. You've been a member here since 2008 and I certainly hope you continue to be.

The only goal of this forum is to share information with each other and enjoy hearing about others greys and helping if we can. :)

I don't know how a person could possibly misunderstand or misinterpt what I said. What I said was the shortest, simplest and correct reply that was put in the thread and others eventually repeated what I said.

Edited by Dave007

I don't know how a person could possibly misunderstand or misinterpt what I said. What I said was the shortest, simplest and correct reply that was put in the thread and others eventually repeated what I said.

Sorry Dave, was just trying to figure out what made this member want to leave all of a sudden. I personally saw nothing wrong with your post either. It was the most complete reply in this thread. :)