NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing my B&G Koko :)

KatieG17

I have a 27 year old B&G that was given too me by my uncle. He has had her for the last 10 years, His wife and him are retired, they sold their home and bought an RV, where they will spend the rest of their time traveling! Which would be the reason why he had given her too me. Before my uncle had taken her in, he found her at a Pet shop, where she was COMPLETELY bald!!! :( The owner told him, an elderly couple had kept her locked up in a cage for who knows how long, because they could not handle her or take care of her... Over the 10 years my Uncle had koko she grew back almost all of her feathers minus some spots where there was such damage they will never grow back, her neck, under her wings, and her legs... Shes our bald neck birdy.. My uncle was the only one who ever handled her. So shes man bird.. and sad to say she just doesnt like me that much, but I still try! She is now in love with my fiance, that is her new man and he is all she wants. She is one Very very fiesty bird, she can be sweet, funny, but then her darkside can also come out at times... Which includes sometimes when I walk by and she flexs the steel cage bars, just to show me how tough she can be, then gives me this evil look like "yea thats right i can break your fingers off" haha. So, shes not good with strangers or people she does not know, and rarely shows affection. She is the queen of the castle! We have had her going on 2 years now, and she has laid eggs 3 times with in 2 months!!! My uncle said she has NEVER laid an egg for him before, so we were quite impressed!... Thats all for now though :) Must get back to work, and will continue about the life of Koko when I get home and post a pic so you can all see :);)

Aww, she is so pretty. Also has more feathers than my 2 b&g's put together! It is opposite here, they give hubby the tude. They tried to with me but i just laughed at them and then scooped em up anyway. Took a few bites but they ended up knowing i wasn't going to give up. Vet days are still intimidating for me when i try to get them in a carrier though.

She is beautiful. Is she sitting on the eggs or just ignoring them? :)

Koko had her eggs while up on a perch.. all three dropped and broke at the bottom of the cage! She doesn't give much notice before she lays them. I've been told if she can't get to the egg that she would keep producing them. The first time she layer, before hand she got very very nasty, wouldn't go in her cage, not even to sleep which is rare, she kept taking her rag and bunching it up in the corner and laying on it. You couldn't come 3ft from her cage with out her charging at you, beak and wings open. We knew something was up, but since she's never laid before we didn't know. We took the rag away to see if it helped her behavior. She went back to her cage when we took it away and 3 days later she pops out an egg. Like I said it broke, and we didn't want her to keep laying so we immediately replaced it with a ping pong ball. Which she claimed as her egg. We were told after a short amount of time shed realize it was a dud and forget about it.... Not!! She sat on it for a good month!! Rotating it, sitting on it. She started not eating because she was so obsessed over this "egg" eventually we took it away because she was getting nasty over it. And then she went back to behaving normally. She laid the 2nd one about 3 weeks later without any signs of nesting, the same thing with the 3rd about a month later

Also I'm not too sure where all this hatred has came towards me. We got her while I was pregnant with my son. And every once in a while shed Want to step up on me, and shed let me hold her. But her attitudes just started changing towards me and was becoming more affectionate with my fiance. My son is 9 months old, I have not held her since before he was born, and I think maybe she doesn't like me because of the time I spend with him? Not sure, my fiance spends just as much time with him too, but I think she just loves him more, and sees him as my uncles (former owner) replacement. Funny story though! My son 9mo now in a walker and everything, bell be zooming across the floor and hit her cage while she's on her perch, not enough to knock her off, but shakes the cage a good amount, and koko will yell OWW!! Everytime Haha its the funniest thing. Now if I mess with stuff on her cage she gets mad at me. But if my son touches stuff on it (never out of my supervision) she could care less! She just looks at him and is like eh whatever

And another mini story: Koko knows how to ag on a crying baby also! If my son is crying about something and not stopping, she'll let out clear as day "shut up!!" "knock it off!!" "stop it!!!" Koko does not appreciate crying LOL. And all I can say is, Koko your not making this matter any better!!

I'm sure KoKo doesn't hate you. This is just how many parrots are--they love one and tend to be a rival or cold to others. I'm sure a peaceful productive relationship can still develop between you two. I have a soft spot for macaws, and although I will not ever likely share life with one, I enjoy hearing about them. Thank you for sharing.