NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bonded parrots in Rescues

VStar Mama

Although I am mostly firmly set on not adding a Grey to my life until things have become more stable and predictable, it doesn't stop me from window browsing at various rescue organizations.

One of the trends I've been noticing is that there are often pairs that are bonded and the organizations won't allow one to be adopted without the other. I admit I feel a bit ambivalent about this. On one hand I believe that it is a good thing for organizations to keep these birds together as they provide a sense of flock and stability to one another. Possibly minimizing transition stresses that lead to problem behaviors like screaming, plucking, or biting.

On the other hand, there aren't many people who have the resources to add two new birds at the same time. It is an immediate doubling of all the expenses involved in parrot ownership; cages, playstands, initial vet visits, toys, adoption fees. To an extent, adopting a "bonded" pair also means that the birds themselves have that much less incentive to bond to one of the new human caretakers.

On a personal level and as a potential future owner, I want the chance to work on building a bond with the adopted. I feel that my chance of developing a bond with two rescues would be diminished because the pair would already have each other.

I've been watching the adoptable parrot lists for organizations like The Gabriel Foundation for a long time. Some of the adoptable African Grey's have been there for as long as I've been watching (who know how much longer they've been on those lists) and it seems that being part of a "pair" contributes to the longevity in organizations instead of with a family.

So on to the debate. Pair bonded parrots. Should keeping them together be standard policy? Should they be considered un-adoptable due to the difficulty of finding homes capable of taking on two parrots and sent to live out their lives together in a Sanctuary setting? Should they be separated in the event that a suitable family wants to adopt one of the pair? Should rescue organizations separate parrot pairs upon admittance in order to facilitate the adoption of the individual parrots down the road?

So many questions and so much food for thought. I'd love to hear more opinions on the topic. There has to be more alternatives and considerations that haven't occurred to me.

My very first thought when reading this was this. So it is time for you and your spouse to move move out of your daughters home and to an assisted living facility but there isn't room for you both. Although your daughter is fine with the two of you there, should you move into one home while your other half moves to a home in a different town? You don't drive anymore so you know you will never see each other again. Uh, no, you stay with your daughter until a room becomes available.

I am sorry but thoughts like that are why there are so many unhappy birds. To even think of seperating them would be cruel, unless it is for their own safety.

I have Rescue experience and there are families who when they surrender their birds request that they remain together. Now to think from the birds viewpoint-they have lost the family they were a part of, they have lost the home they felt safe in, their diets, caging, surroundings, sounds and schedules are all different and require getting used to. To loose a valued flock mate on top of all the other other changes would only add to the stress load they are all ready carrying. Remember these birds are a food source for predators in the wild so they have that instinct to look out for each other and the need to avoid scary new things. People do adopt more than one bird at a time, not common but it is done. You may not have that understanding of the Grey psyche - they are sensitive to change, they can read body language better than we can (it is a survival skill) and can be very slow to adapt to a new location even in the same house. Each bird is unique and has their own fears and joys just like us. The right bird will come along and you have time to be really ready for your Grey companion.

• 4 weeks later...

I think VStar asked a very valid question, and one that will generate many points of view. As for claiming it to be "cruel" to THINK of separating bonded birds, what becomes of birds that are turned away for lack of room?

I personally agree that bonded birds should be rehomed together whenever possible, but the OP raises valid concerns that I'm sure are shared by many responsible potential adopters.

I personally would not separate the "bonded" pair. If they can't take both then look elsewhere for a single parrot. I worked with human adoptions years ago. In one case there were identical twins that the mother unable to decide which family to let adopt them, decided to separate them and give them to two separate homes, one each. I refused to work on the case as I did not believe in that kind of separation. Fortunately the young lady changed her mind and they went to a sole family together. This is my feeling and belief and I can be a stubborn so and so if I get the chance.

Edited by luvparrots

• 9 months later...

I realize this is an old topic, but one that bears revisiting. Our eventual goal is to have a veterinarian as part of the rescue. Birds would be fully vetted (labs, baseline weight, etc.) before leaving the facility. We do a full vet check near the end of quarantine. The reason we wait is because I like to see the bird and observe for any signs or symptoms of illness so I can report anything to the vet that might be missed by seeing the bird too soon when neither myself nor the vet knows much about them. In our future plans, our on-site vet would do a work-up on the bird after adoption proceedings begin but before leaving to join their new family. In the case of bonded pairs, I assure you will will bend over backwards to make it more affordable as far as adoption fees and possibly even sending a 'kit' home with adopters with new bird essentials. In lieu of high fees, a substantial screening process including home visits and follow up visits would be mandatory. I have done rescue with other animals and have found time and time again - high "rehoming" or "adoption" fees absolutely DO NOT mean the animal will get good care. Look how many people pay pet store or breeder prices for animals only to neglect and abuse them. Charging them several hundred dollars to adopt is not going to buy you any happiness-insurance.

I think part of being a rescue is not just warehousing birds, but working with both families that need to surrender (yes, even abusive or neglectful ones - as hard as that is) and families that want to provide a home. And the old excuse that "well if they can't afford a thousand dollar adoption fee, how are they going to afford vet care, or proper diet?" does not sit well with me. The answer is, they can better afford both if they aren't spending a thousand dollars.

That said, we do plan to do more work as a refuge for the ones nobody wants then a rescue that is constantly playing matchmaker with parrots. If one comes in that is just not happy in a flock setting, then they may be more a candidate for integration with a human family. But there are some birds that don't do well in home settings (mainly ex-wild caught birds that are fearful or angry with humans). Those are the kind of birds we would like to strive to save. There are all kinds of rescues geared towards "pet" parrots and not so many who will take the "un- handle-able" ones. Many of these are pair bonded if they are surrendered together as ex-breeders and I would never break that bond. Even pet birds bond to 'mates' and yes, separating them is cruel. Even for the reason of getting them each into a home. I love Murfchck's example of putting the parents in two nursing homes. It's very appropriate and spot on.

I can definitely see both sides to this issue and I am certain that there are as many scenarios as there are individual greys and humans. When I see the many successful adoptions by our members, in singles and in multiples it really does depend on the particular parrot(s) and human(s) involved. Gilbert, as a single parrot has had unsuccessful adoptions prior to me and its a long road to recovery even though I had parrot experience, time and other resources to devote solely to her. If per chance we were to adopt another Timneh and she had a dramatic transformation into a fearless, docile parrot with no barbering or other self destructive habits it would be obvious to those who know her that keeping that balance may be far more beneficial than the relationship she has with me. Only the caretakers who have witnessed the distress of two or more flock members upon separation can make the assessment that they will be better off together. Whether a parrot is adopted as a single or a multiple, the new home must be carefully matched for experience, temperament of a specific species or individual parrot. For example an Amazon may fit with a confident extrovert in general but a specific Amazon may do better in a home where the solitary keeper works all day and creates a quiet, predictable atmosphere. It's a commonly accepted anecdote that a parrot with a parrot friend will not create a human bond. From our own members, I don't see evidence that is written in stone. If someone brought a second TAG to my home and I saw a positive change in Gilbert's behavior around that parrot, I would accept her having a chance at living her life in confidence even if it excluded any possible opportunity for me to create a blissful relationship between Gilbert and myself. VStar Mama, I do believe the right parrot is out there waiting for your right moment to adopt. It's painful to be ready in most ways but the financial or preparedness to take on multiples. Keep looking, visit rescues and any other place you find bird owners. Someone will see you and the best match and help bring you together.

I can definitely see both sides to this issue and I am certain that there are as many scenarios as there are individual greys and humans. When I see the many successful adoptions by our members, in singles and in multiples it really does depend on the particular parrot(s) and human(s) involved. Gilbert, as a single parrot has had unsuccessful adoptions prior to me and its a long road to recovery even though I had parrot experience, time and other resources to devote solely to her. If per chance we were to adopt another Timneh and she had a dramatic transformation into a fearless, docile parrot with no barbering or other self destructive habits it would be obvious to those who know her that keeping that balance may be far more beneficial than the relationship she has with me. Only the caretakers who have witnessed the distress of two or more flock members upon separation can make the assessment that they will be better off together. Whether a parrot is adopted as a single or a multiple, the new home must be carefully matched for experience, temperament of a specific species or individual parrot. For example an Amazon may fit with a confident extrovert in general but a specific Amazon may do better in a home where the solitary keeper works all day and creates a quiet, predictable atmosphere. It's a commonly accepted anecdote that a parrot with a parrot friend will not create a human bond. From our own members, I don't see evidence that is written in stone. If someone brought a second TAG to my home and I saw a positive change in Gilbert's behavior around that parrot, I would accept her having a chance at living her life in confidence even if it excluded any possible opportunity for me to create a blissful relationship between Gilbert and myself. VStar Mama, I do believe the right parrot is out there waiting for your right moment to adopt. It's painful to be ready in most ways but the financial or preparedness to take on multiples. Keep looking, visit rescues and any other place you find bird owners. Someone will see you and the best match and help bring you together.

I don't buy that myth about not bonding to humans if they have another bird one bit. Our Greybies had each other for three years and were definitely bonded as 'mates' (at least in Marden's mind) and yet they were VERY bonded to their daddy and Marden was very bonded to me. I think they all have a capacity to form lasting relationships (plural) with those they feel they can have a relationship with. Alex has Maks and Maks has Alex and they sound as if they are dying if you separate them, but both of them are mama's boys to no end - very bonded to me. I don't think love is limited to one person or bird per bird. Just my observation here.

I had an abused budgie. Truth be told I would never end up being much more than his caretaker. So at some point, I got another budgie for him. It took quite a while but they did eventually bond. They were both males. They lived in separate cages by choice. But the difference in Buzzard was unmistakable.

A couple of years later unfortunately, my landlord accidentally let Teal escape. Buzzard was completely unreachable & there was nothing I could do for him. He shut down, stopped eating & died about 2 wks later. I didn't have him autopsied. It could have been a coincidence. But it surely looked like he literally died of a broken heart.

I think the key is distinguishing between "normal" relationships & whatever goes on in a slightly (or very) dented psyche. I also think that especially in any species who mate for life, there can be "the one" who can change them for keeps.

I also think for birds, the term "Rescue" may conjure images of the city pound for some people. They may be doing the best they can w/what they've got. But it's not a great place to visit & you wouldn't want to live there.

Maybe "Sanctuary" is better word. "Sanctuary" in a Sci Fi kind of way. Escaping the apocalypse to find a much needed safe haven.

Whatever you want to call them, they're most all privately funded & tend to be powered by one or more gynormously hearted people. It may be more of a group home than the conventional image of home sweet home. But it's a place w/people who are much better equipped & more likely to understand the special needs of these fids.

I'm sure like anything else, there are better & worse places. But a good bird sanctuary isn't a bad place to live. In fact, I placed one of my fosters in one.

I'd asked the owner for help working w/this particular bird & they just fell in love. He ended up in her own personal flock w/6 others of his kind, in a world of happy screamers & days of endless pandering. I honestly couldn't begin to imagine any better forever home for this guy!

Edited by birdhouse

I wouldn't have the heart to break up a bonded pair. There is always someone out there for someone else. There are plenty of people who would take these bonded birds and just let them be who they are. As far as breaking them up to go to homes to free up space for other rescues? Well, if you freed up two spaces there would still be six more birds wanting for those spaces. You can't save the whole world. You can only do what you can with what you have and personally, I would try to do right by the ones that I was in charge of.

One of the trends I've been noticing is that there are often pairs that are bonded and the organizations won't allow one to be adopted without the other. I admit I feel a bit ambivalent about this. On one hand I believe that it is a good thing for organizations to keep these birds together as they provide a sense of flock and stability to one another. Possibly minimizing transition stresses that lead to problem behaviors like screaming, plucking, or biting.

On the other hand, there aren't many people who have the resources to add two new birds at the same time. It is an immediate doubling of all the expenses involved in parrot ownership; cages, playstands, initial vet visits, toys, adoption fees. To an extent, adopting a "bonded" pair also means that the birds themselves have that much less incentive to bond to one of the new human caretakers.

On a personal level and as a potential future owner, I want the chance to work on building a bond with the adopted. I feel that my chance of developing a bond with two rescues would be diminished because the pair would already have each other.

I've been watching the adoptable parrot lists for organizations like The Gabriel Foundation for a long time. Some of the adoptable African Grey's have been there for as long as I've been watching (who know how much longer they've been on those lists) and it seems that being part of a "pair" contributes to the longevity in organizations instead of with a family.

So on to the debate. Pair bonded parrots. Should keeping them together be standard policy? Should they be considered un-adoptable due to the difficulty of finding homes capable of taking on two parrots and sent to live out their lives together in a Sanctuary setting? Should they be separated in the event that a suitable family wants to adopt one of the pair? Should rescue organizations separate parrot pairs upon admittance in order to facilitate the adoption of the individual parrots down the road?

So many questions and so much food for thought. I'd love to hear more opinions on the topic. There has to be more alternatives and considerations that haven't occurred to me.

Yeh, this is and old post but situations concerning homes in shelters don't change with time. Most legitimite orgs know the personalities of certain birds long before the general public even sees them. Most of those birds that are in the shelters come from strange situations. The orgs know about their history and decide on the bird's future fate before adopting them out. They've been told all the facts about these birds before taking them on. There's birds in these orgs that will never be adopted because of personality, phycological, and medical problems and the orgs know that. Most of the people seeing them can't handle problem birds even though they think they can. If the org says they should be adopted as a bonded pair so be it. If a person wants a chance to create bond with an adult bird, then they should simply find an adult bird that's up for adoption or sale. Orgs have a good reason for setting the rules. Bonded birds arrived with loads of problems and the last thing that should be created is another problem by *unbonding* them. That's crazy. There's people out there that can't even take on 1 pre owned bird and have success. I've seen that loads of time. I think about these people having 2 birds that are bonded and alike and that's just a future time and the birds will wind up back at the shelter. Most of the birds in these shelters have lived in 2 or 3 or even 4 previous homes.

There are people out there that can take on a pair of bonded birds but they know head of time that no great changes are gonna happen concerning relationships with bonded pairs. Those people are known as * bird lovers in the truest sense.*

****Should keeping them together be standard policy? ***Absolutely yes.

****Should they be considered un-adoptable due to the difficulty of finding homes capable of taking on two parrots and sent to live out their lives together in a Sanctuary setting? ****Absolutely. The orgs know the birds and follow guides concerning the history and personality of these birds.

*****Should they be separated in the event that a suitable family wants to adopt one of the pair*** That depends on the facts that the org knows concerning the birds. They know the answers to that question. That too is only something the org can decide on.

*****I've been watching the adoptable parrot lists for organizations like The Gabriel Foundation for a long time. Some of the adoptable African Grey's have been there for as long as I've been watching (who know how much longer they've been on those lists) and it seems that being part of a "pair" contributes to the longevity in organizations instead of with a family.*****That's true but it's the orgs that are suppling the proper atmosphere to allow these birds to have a happy life. Potential buyers are heavyily screened before the birds are released. Forms are signed allowing org employees to visit the new homes of adopted birds to see how the bird is doing and also the relationship with the owners. If bad things are happening, they have the right to take the birds back. Sometimes the visiting process can last 6 mts to 1 year These orgs won't adopt out birds past a certain mileage from their centers.

******On the other hand, there aren't many people who have the resources to add two new birds at the same time. It is an immediate doubling of all the expenses involved in parrot ownership; cages, playstands, initial vet visits, toys, adoption fees. To an extent, adopting a "bonded" pair also means that the birds themselves have that much less incentive to bond to one of the new human caretakers. ****

Well, they should simply go somewhere else and find one bird to adopt.

Very well put, Dave. There are a lot of factors that influence why a bird would not be adopted out. Our end goal is not to do adoptions but take in and give refuge to the types of birds that are typically considered not adoptable. Mainly ex-breeders who are aggressive and fearful of all humans. We'd love to be able to offer them the freedom to fly in a big aviary and to live like birds should live. We can't take them back to where they came from (though I wish we could) but we can give them the next best thing. A safe place to live with room to fly, the company of other birds, and lots of natural enrichment.

Any adoption is risky. I have seen it already with rescuing dogs and cats. I just saw something the other day where a person adopted a dog from a shelter then turned around and was selling it on Craigslist - stating in the ad that he got it from this shelter. Someone notified the shelter, and they contacted the person but he declined to bring the animal back and the shelter declined to pursue the matter. I am sure this happens with birds as well. :(

I believe that in Germany, that companion parrots can only be purchased and/or adpted in pairs, and breeders are reqired to inform prospective puchasers of that. It is part of their minimum requirements to keep a parrot law.

I think Dave did a great job of explaining why orgs' require that in certain cases here. Personally, if I were to ever consider puchasing a baby parrot, I would puchase two and seek the guidance of their breeder in which two to select.