NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New owner to be, "Django" will be joining our family end of this week!

Joyvke

Too Cute. The second video django became very interactive to your voice. It is parrotese for "Quit talking, get me outta here and lets have a love and food fest". Thanks for sharing these. :)

I seem to have that effect on birds. The other parrot has horrible mating behaviour at the moment and ignoring doesn't work at all. As soon as I talk (not even to him) he starts doing so! Hope that birdtherapist will be able to come over soon so we can know where that comes from.

Django is adorable, what a sweetie, I don't see a stuffed animal in his cage so why not put one in he can snuggle with, at this age they are used to being with clutchmates and it serves as a security blanket until they start perching. Thanks for sharing those videos with us.

He actually does have a stuffed animal :). A yellow doggie the size of Django somewhat. He doesn't always like to cuddle with it though!

not to be nosey but what are you using for bedding for him? if you are use corn cob bedding I would remove it , it's not good for him and use plain black and white news paper , corn cob bedding if ingested can make him very sick

We actually do use corn cob, the breeder uses it for all his birds. Django doesn't seem to eat it. He usually plays around with it by throwing it around. Wanted to go with wooden chips (or whatever you call them), but if he eats those he can't digest it. I thought newspapers weren't good either due to the ink in there. I guess as long as he doesn't eat it it's fine. He's been on it for weeks now :).

• 2 months later...

Hey all! It's been a while that I've been here. Been very busy with school and all and kind of forgot to keep you lot updated.

Django is doing great! He's completely off the pouradge (spelling) now since 3 or 4 weeks. He's 5 months now. We've been monitoring his weight and it seems to be pretty constant around 480. After every dropping of the handfeeding he dropped a few grams, but it went back up again. He is not too fat and definitely not too skinny. He's having a small vocabulary at the moment and he's more often than not only speaking/ whistling or making noises when he knows or thinks no one is around. What he does now is:

Whistling the first bit of the Adams family (including the clicking ;p)

Hello

Django (very rarely, only heard him do it once or twice)

Houdoe (bye in my province)

Three different ways of a cat mewing

Dog barking

Laughing out loud (look up the fairy from the N64 Zelda games, a bit like that)

Various whistling, even making up his own melodies

Sang along 3 notes of "Icky breaky heart"

He also copied our other parrot and goes "Lorriiiiiiiiiiito" occasionally.

I will try to make a videoclip of him this week and upload it to my youtube :).

Also been trying to have Lorrito and Django getting to know eachother, but since Lorrito is such an unpredictable parrot (he bites everyone apart from me), I find it difficult to have them socialize.

• 4 weeks later...
Django sounds like he's got your family wrapped around his talons. Welcome to the forum. Where in Holland are you from? My dad was from Scheemda in Groningen.

So sorry to respond this late, I didn't see this post before! I live in Noord Brabant. Close to 's Hertogenbosch (the Southern part of the Netherlands). Holland is the province on the left side of the country hehe.

• 5 months later...

Just typed an entire story, just to press the X in the window, closing it down, sigh!

So far Django turned 1 years old last Thursday (the 19th). He also lost his first flight feather. He's lost some of the smaller feathers, but no big ones yet, so hope his youth moult is starting now.

His vocabulary is starting to get larger too. I'll just put it down in Dutch, with the English direct translation next to it.

- Hallo (hello ;)).

- Houdoe (bye for our province)

- Django

- Ha menneke/ ha jongen (hey boy/ son)

- Ha poepert (ha poopert)

- Poepkont (poopbutt)

- I love you (this is in English)

He also does this in a robot voice. Other than that he whistles

- almost the entire Adams Family song

- second level from super mario 1

- some of the legend of Zelda songs (small parts)

- random tunes he made up himself ;p

It's fun to keep him learning some random words. I only started I love you 2 weeks ago and he already picked it up (unclear but you can tell it's that).

He sounds like he's growing into a wonderful companion. How is it going between him and Lorrito?

They do some kisses and all, but I have to keep each parrot on one hand. Either Lorrito lashes out or Django. Also can't have Lorrito out of his cage when brother is at home since he just attacks him (he did since day 1 and still not managed to get that out of his system - everyone is terrified of Lorrito except for me). They sometimes scream together where Django impersinates Lorrito and him getting upset yelling even louder etc.

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while and Django has been increasingly improving his vocabulary including new words and mixing up words:

Known from before:

- Hallo (hello ).

- Houdoe (bye for our province)

- Django

- Ha menneke/ ha jongen (hey boy/ son)

- Ha poepert (ha poopert)

- Poepkont (poopbutt)

- I love you (this is in English)

New words:

- Lekker appeltje (nice apple)

- Ik hou van jou (I love you)

- Pandor (our cats name)

- Papa (dad)

- Bah bah (ew ew)

- Kom maar (come on)

- Kom es hier (come on)

- Ja, ok, ok, ja ok, doei (yes, ok, ok, yes, ok, bye - this is a re enactment of the "phonecall" I did a few times a day next to his cage to have him talking)

Also some jibberish we can not understand, he talks really unclear when he talks at times. I recorded it, but can't make anything out of it. I guess it's practicing.

Ok so now comes the best part, he's combining words. His most epic combination so far has been

"Lekker kontje hoor" - (nice butt though).