NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just wondering how many other moms and dads have plucked parrots besides me

Parrot Lady

Hi. I too am dealing with plucking issues. I have an adopted TAG 20ish yrs old and in perfect feather. I just adopted a CAG 20ish yrs and has no tail feathers. He will let the fluff and some bloods grow back and then all of a sudden ... gone. I also notice drops of blood when he pulls the actual blood feathers. I would love to see him with his red tail but love him either way. I have only had him for a month and my TAG for 1 yr. I give them both spray baths a couple times per week. I just started using Aloe Vera gel/juice with water 50/50 for his bath spray. So far he still plucks and scratches alot. The mix has helped him cut down on scratching some but to me he scratches his head and neck alot. Maybe it is a CAG thing? I dont know. But he is molting too and there are pin feathers there.

I have also started him on Mazuri pellets. He was on a seed diet but with unhealthy additives like gummy worms and jelly beans for treats. :(

He took to the pellets right away and am using a good quality seed mixture with fresh fruits and veg added at a 80-90% pellet. I am the 3rd owner in 2 yrs. :( ... and he is a wonderful bird. He was in a small cage so upgraded that in week one. His plucking is about 6 to 8 months old. Last owner was 18 and worked long hours.

He is very outgoing and accepts change well. Loves people and attention. Talks our ears off. :)

The next thing I am giving a try is mixing some Red Palm oil on his pellets a few times a week. I ordered some from a vitamin supply store recommended here. I hope i got the right one...only 2 to choose from. The one I purchased was Alaffia Authentic West African Red Palm Oil 5 oz jar. So hoping this addition helps. To me he scratches way too much. He acts like his skin is dry and itchy. He is also going through a molt right now as is my 11yr old Lilac crowned Amazon. (also a rehomed bird) I have no certified Avian Vets close to me. Only vet that sees birds by me will do a wellness check, clip wings, nails and trim beaks. They can send out a dna test too. So trying to find a decent bird vet in my area to have a complete blood test done, with possible xrays. I want to rule out anything medical. The last owner had no idea what she was doing and gave him inappropriate food and toys. He is actually lucky to be alive.

I am also trying to figure out a better cage placement for him too. We have had him in our living room for quarantine and our other 2 in our dining room where they have always been. Our house is rather small open concept and I have a huge playgym in dining area too. I am worried Jasper the CAG is not getting enough sleep in our living room. I want to switch the playgym and his cage. We cover the cages but we watch TV at a low volume too.. till about 10:30 and up at about 6ish. Our daughter is going to school for Vet Technology and when she moves out I plan on using her room for sleep cages. But until then we have to make due, so I am trying to give the birds as many proper sleep hours as am able. I am hoping that will help with the plucking too.

I would love suggestions too.

My TAG doesn't pluck, but he does hack. By this I mean he will chew the edges of his feathers. I know there is a name for this, but I can't remember it. You don't see it much until the feather falls out and it is all tore up at the edge. I am trying more sleep and baths. This is very recent so can't tell if it is working or note yet.

Our TAG came to us as a rehome and we were told he is a stress plucker. On the day I met him he had gotten so upset about being moved to a travel cage that he had totally ripped out more than 20 flight feathers. He has slowly over two years gotten better able to express his anxiety without chewing or barbering his chest feathers. A big stress in his life like when I spent a few days away from him to accompany family to the hospital, resulted in him chewing all the little feathers off his chest until it was almost bald. He hasn't plucked again, thankfully. It does take some time, especially after being rehomed. Our vet did a panel of blood tests and he didn't find any blatant medical cause and believes it is anxiety based. We did try Rescue Remedy drops for pets from the Bach Flower remedies at the suggestion of our vet and it seemed to help him some. The best thing by far though has been consistency, time and trust. Gilbert has not been flighted for at least five years and I do believe that has had an impact on his anxiety issues.

So many reasons for plucking, injury, stress, skin issues weather related to diet or infection. We live with a feather barbering U2, a self mutilating E2, a nervous neck plucking CAG and fostered a naked TAG with only head feathers and a currently fostering a Senegal who had that monks tonsure look. The U2 looks so much better than when he arrived 8 years ago now only chews some feather margins when bored. E2 must always wear a jacket to prevent injury to his chest he had recieved two surgeries to close the openings he dug into his chest prior to his arrival with us. Cag has also improved but still a bit of a neck plucker and toenail chewer but has more feathers now than when we adopted her. The Senegal has regrown most of his head feathers but still has a bald spot on top he also has a split lower mandible we have to trim to keep it from harming his face. So you are not alone in fact the Sanctuary I volunteer at has several birds who are very plucked from Conures to Macaws. We take them to the Vet to determine any health issues supply good foods, lots of toys and things to do, room to exercise, real Sunshine and lots of mistings or baths to make the most of what they can still grow but most importantly don't feel badly for them they are often quite happily nudists. Our job is to love and support not to carry a burden of guilt or past history for them.

Edited by Greywings

Greywings said it all! When adopting a new grey that has a history of plucking, no matter what enviroment, they may continue to do so, even if they are the happiest bird. It is a habit at this point, and hard to break.

When birds are young, and start to pluck.... thats the time to do an intervention! In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they are fully flighted or not. My birds learned to fly, develop their chest muscles, then I trimmed them, but could still fly.This was the time I spent educating them, social development. None of my birds ever chewed their feathers, but occasionally they were a little excessive. I let them know I wasn't happy with their decision! I spent a lot of time distracting them thru play, toys and actual disapproval Sophie always knew when I wasn't happy with her choices.She never went on to pluck Nancy

I have a naked blue and gold, a half naked blue and gold and a naked CAG. Oliver, B&G, has a frozen wing so doesn't fly but can pump his shoulders like he is soaring. Bubba, B&G, has started plucking his chest due to some health issues but now is nothing more than a habit and Oliver helping to stay bald! Cotay is new to our home but maybe 6 months or so ago when i first saw her she was pretty chewed up and chest was bald. Her chest is still bald and now the tops of her wings but we are misting a few times a day with aloe and she seems to be easing up on the plucking. Its only been 2 weeks with us so i can not say this will work, she is fully flighted, not a good flyer but she sure tries hard! As for what we do about the plucking, we offer lots of chewing/ shredding toys and keep this misting up with the aloe to ease the itchy feel when the feathers are coming in and the number one rule... Don't make it a big deal where they see how stressed you are about it cuz they will pick up on it! lol I completly love my nudist colony! My two feathered ones must feel like odd balls! Even our U2 has a bald chest and is a stress barber.