NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Avi Vita Plus vitmains

Parrot Lady

I ordered some of those for Smokey the in the 16 ounce container now I'am wondering if I should give them to him , it says give 1/4 teaspoon for 16 ounces of water , he eats some pellets and does eat a little bit of his veggies , I don't want to over vitamin him , but I ordered some Feather Terrific and it says to use Avi Calm and theese vitamins , your suppose to use all three from what I have read but I didn't think he needed the Avi Calm , I could be wrong on the Avi Calm maybe I should use it , this is the first time I have ever had a plucked bird so I'am lost on what really to do for him , I try to keep him busy with foot toys and give him lots of attention and he gets 3 showers a week , any one? someone have any ideas here ?????

I just spent an hour last month talking to my avian vet about supplements and vitamins. He felt there was no reason what so ever to add any of the stuff. If they eat pellets and even just a little fruit and veggie they dont need it. All the vitamins are in the pellets. I thought maybe mine was not getting it all because they really dont eat veggies only some fruit.

I ordered some of those for Smokey the in the 16 ounce container now I'am wondering if I should give them to him , it says give 1/4 teaspoon for 16 ounces of water , he eats some pellets and does eat a little bit of his veggies , I don't want to over vitamin him , but I ordered some Feather Terrific and it says to use Avi Calm and theese vitamins , your suppose to use all three from what I have read but I didn't think he needed the Avi Calm , I could be wrong on the Avi Calm maybe I should use it , this is the first time I have ever had a plucked bird so I'am lost on what really to do for him , I try to keep him busy with foot toys and give him lots of attention and he gets 3 showers a week , any one? someone have any ideas here ?????

None of the items you mention won't work on parrots even though the advertising says different. As far as plucking, a person has to first find out what the reason is for the plucking. No matter what the reason, the items you mention won't work. Your vet is correct. Using those things are a waste of time and if you're putting them in the bird's water, you risk the chance of making the water foul and unsafe to drink. Parrots drink very little water.

The only products that are safe are the ones that act on the skin to lessen dryness and itching. When the skin is less dry and less itchy, the plucking lessens. They're sprayed externally until the skin becomes less itchy. It's an on going process.

Birds get their vitamins from the variety of foods that they eat.

ok so the feather Terrific and the Rain Mist would be good to spray on him and what about some Aloe Vera in the winter time? or could I use all 3 ?

Actually you really can get away with using only the aloe vera juice but it should be used all year long. Many people use it even though their birds have no plucking/chewing problems. The secret is to get the skin very soaked and then let the bird preen with it on. Towel or hair drying isn't a good idea. The longer the skin stays wet, the better. Outer feathers are waterproof and any fluids just roll off the body.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189967-100-natural-aloe-vera-juice

Use undiluted.

You're welcome

Edited by Dave007