NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Outside Aviary/Enclosure

neoow

Hello all,

I'm looking to see whether it's possible to install an aviary in my back garden so Alfie can sit outside with me when we finally see some nice weather. I don't have much space but it could join on to the back of the house around the kitchen door. I have a double patio door as well so I would still be able to access/exit the house without having to go through the aviary.

I found this site: http://www.weld-mesh.com/aviary.php which sells pre-made panels which you mix and match to make an aviary that suits. Do you think these panels would be ok for Alfie?

If anyone else has an aviary for their Grey (or other feathered friends) I would love to see some photos to get some ideas! My other option is to build one from scratch - but I don't even know where to start with that so would much prefer something similar to the solution above!

I couldn't see the images from the other forums as I had to sign up. Now off to bed so will take a look tomorrow. Murfchck's is very interesting though and very similar to what I'm hoping to achieve, I think. I am limited on space as my garden is small (and an odd shape) but I think it would be very beneficial if I can get something outside for Alfie to explore.

If you don`t have the time or your not to handy the mix and match panels would be a quick and easy way to go.

If it`s against the house all you would need is three side panels and the roof panel. The house door would be the only way in so it would be safe for Alfie.

• Haha 1

Yes that's why I liked this kind of solution, Ray. I am not a handy person at all so didn't really know where to start if making my own. The total price also seemed quite reasonable compared to other pre-built solutions.

• Haha 1

Actually, ours started as a dog run we bought off craigslist for 50.00. Remove the chainlink!! A few couplers to add poles to make it taller cuz hubby didn't want to duck to enter it. Then covered in bird safe wire we got from a feed store and used cage clips to join the wire together. We were able to buy sweeps from the electrical dept at Home Depot to go around the tree too. It was a fun weekend project and total cost for both cages ended up at about $500.00 with left over material to start Gus's own aviary.

Thanks for the advice! My sister recently bought a dog run so I'm waiting for her to send me some info to see what other products they do and if not, whether we could adapt the dog run into a bird safe environment. I priced up a 8ft long, 4ft wide by 8ft tall cage from the site I mentioned in my earlier post and it came to a little over £500 including VAT and delivery, which I didn't think was too bad. It was a three sided one with a gate, so it would fix to the back of the house (in front of the kitchen door) and then I would be able to get out of it into the garden if I wanted to (but do have patio doors as well if Alfie is already in the enclosure).

It will be a little while before I can do it as yet- I'm probably looking at getting it sorted next Spring, unless some extra money happens to come my way. I'm just trying to work out some approximate proces and possible suppliers for now. :)