NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hanging toys from the ceiling?

neoow

Hello all,

Now I'm in my own house instead of renting or living with parents I'm debating about all the different things I can do to put my stamp on the place. I've got lots of big projects planned but I'm also looking at the little things.

One of the things I'd like to do is hang a toy from the ceiling for Alfie. His cage is in the living/dining room and he is restricted to the downstairs areas when out because I also own two cats who are not allowed to come into contact with him when he's out and therefore get shut upstairs. He normally hangs around on the top of his cage, on my leg if I'm sitting down (we often enjoy watching some TV and chilling out together on the couch) or on his playstand. His cage is near my desk and I was thinking about hanging a toy between the two so he had something else to play with whilst out. He loves his boing and swings so I was thinking something along those lines.

I am a complete DIY novice so was looking for some advice on how to safely hang the toy from the ceiling. Ideally I'd like to remove it so the cats don't try and hang off it- so if anyone has any ideas for discreet hangers, that would be even better.

So - do you have toys hanging from the ceiling? What do you use to hang them to ensure they stay up and don't damage the ceiling too much?

Ooh, something that may help- I have artex ceiling with this kind of pattern: http://roberthannay.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/cimg0011.jpg - so I'm worried about it breaking away or being uneven?

Many thanks!

I use eye hooks like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/208-x-1-3-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Screw-Eye-2-Pieces-14221/202704400#.UcgqxJzhe5U for hanging boings or other items from the ceiling. It will of course leave a hole when you take it out. Since you have an artex ceiling, patching that hole should you remove it will be challenging to match the pattern.

Edited by danmcq
  • Sad 1

Dan's solution won't fall out if you're going straight into a ceiling joist. If not use a toggle bolt. If you have access to the ceiling, drill only a hole large enough for the bolt to pass through. Screw the toggle on when you're inside the ceiling. These usually require a hole large enough for the whole toggle to pass through but with ceiling access, you can make a tiny hole and get away with that.

20120911112503_X_500x500.jpg

Edited by SterlingSL

ASterling is spot on. It the eye hook must be sized according to the size and weight of what your going to hang. I have small eye hooks for bongs and large anchored eye hooks for a hanging play stand that weighs around 25 pounds.

• Haha 1