NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Bird Incoming

Toran

Hello I am just getting ready to receive my CAG and he happens to be in Florida right now and I live in Maine. As you already gathered i will be getting him shipped here from a Trusted Breeder.

My question is should I do anything in particular to make sure bringing him home is as stress free as possible. I have seen other people receive there birds after a few hours on a plane and in a travelling cage by the time they got home and opened the travelling cage he seemed to panic and i really would like to avoid that with my CAG does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Tough to say! I adopted my bird at age two. Opened the carrier, her cage and toys were set up. Her favorite toy was waiting for her. She climbed immediately to her play gym.(came with her). NOT alot of changes for her. JUST a new mama. She already had picked me as her mama twice, .keyb oard dead.... ,msorry ,m m, Na cy

Hi Toran, Welcome to our family. Purchased my first African grey from a breeder on Fl, had her shipped to me in MA and she was 8 1/2 weeks old. It was in Dec. so we had to keep an eye on the temp as th when she could be shipped. I picked herup at the airport in a carrier her breeder sent her in. I had to go to the cargo section at the airport, wait tooooo long for them to go find her next to a cat in a carrier....:( I had the car warm, and put her in the front seat. I brought a towel in the cargo area to cover 3 sides of the carrier with so she felt more secure when I carried her out and to my car.

I kept her in the from the front seat and talked to her the entire hour drive home. When we got home, I put her carrier on the bed and talked to her for a while and then opened the door and allowed her to come out on her own terms. She seemed happy to be out and enjoy me talking to her. Eventually I showed her the cage and allowed her to look at everything. I put her down on the top so she could get used to it. I also covered the back half so when she did venture in, it seemed safe from the unknown room she was in. She was calmed and relaxed as I was, and she fed off my emotions and knew all was ok as I didn't appear nervous or unsure.

The worst part for them is the flight....but your bird will be fine and will soon forget.

• Haha 1

In all likelihood, your breeder has done this before and found success in certain methods. Maybe they prepare the chicks that will be flying by putting them in the carrier in their own familiar surroundings. Talk with your breeder, they will probably reassure you and give you some ideas. Welcome to the forum and thank you for having consideration to think ahead to make your new baby feel safe, welcome and happy in your home.

I have an upcoming travel situation too...I am re-adopting 2 greys I once had...they are about 15 yrs old now....The drive will be about 11 hrs...we are trying not to do the hotel thing if we can get around it....so that means if we leave fairly early, we will get home at bedtime.....any suggestions? their cage is coming with us , so it will take a little time to set it up once we are home...so I guess my question is two-fold....suggestions for travel and for when we get home? Im not against staying over in a hotel if it would be easier on them, but I am thinking that will be just another strange place for them.....I know it will all work out and I am getting very excited to see them :-)