NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Slowly disappearing home furnishings...

danmcq

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update in answer to Janet and Rays Chat posts requesting it. :)

Move Day was a lot of commotion as Dayo and Jake watched everything thing in the house get picked up and carried out. Neither seemed to be alarmed as various people went by carrying things by. Once it was down to loading the cages time (last things to go and first things carried in and setup in new home), they were both placed in carriers and road with one of us separately. As they were placed in their cages in the new home, you could see them both checking out the new digs. We carried on moving all the items in for several hours as they just sat, watched and at times gave talons up or talons down approval/disapproval respectively with sound affects. The most important thing to me, was to keep them in the trusted and familiar safe place they know and protect, their cages.

Once the moving was done and it was safe to let them out to relax with us, eat some food and watch some tv, they both immediately flew to the familiar T-Stand with food cups and just sat and looked around. After a half hour or so, they both came over to the couch and got scratches and just relaxed as if relieved all the drama and changes for the day was over. They were both so tired they started going in and out of sleep and ended up lying on their bellies in sound sleep for an hour or so. Later we all went to bed and ended the day peacefully and thankful it was over.

We have of course maintained all our daily "Rituals" of uncovering the birds first thing in the morning greeting and feeding. Watching them look around and analyze the new surroundings is interesting. Jake the conure not so detail oriented, Dayo very detail oriented as he almost looks as if he is laser scanning in increments of millimeters every minute detail of items and placement n his field of view. He proceeds very cautiously from cage to T-Stand and views things from different angles top to bottom and side to side. The living room was slowly mapped out over this first week. He would only venture out of it if riding on one of our shoulders. You could literally feel his talons trembling as we would walked into the kitchen, hallway bedroom etc. Sometimes it was just too much mental overload for him and he would launch and fly back to either his cage or to the T-Stand and contact call for us. He has become comfortable over the week with the kitchen now, but will still only venture there if one of us are in that area. He is still also mentally mapping,, which I suspect will continue for a month at least.

Now Jake the Conure, well he just wants to be with one of us (preferably my wife) and he has from day one since moving here gone wherever we do with no apparent concern for the change in surroundings at all.

The new sounds associated with this home and neighborhood alarms them, not drastically but head turns towards the sounds and visually trying to see where and what made it are normal. We do have a ton of wildlife here in this more rural on the edge of town setting and have a pair of Hawks with two hungry babies screaming to be fed in a tall tree about 30 feet from our house. The are beautiful red tailed hawks. We love watching the parents soar and dive over the huge open area directly in front of our porch deck. The babies have began fledging and are very cool to watch as the parents entice them to follow their aerobatic moves and soaring,but not too high with the babies following. I am hoping to get my camera out and get some good photos of them before they are gone. We also have a bird feeder and blue jays, doves and many other bird species are comfortable enough to come very close to us as they get some food or splash around n the bird bath I placed near by. We also have squirrels visiting which is amusing as well.

Well it's 5 am and time to get to setting up more stuff here and getting some smaller things left at the other house moved over here, so talk to you later. :)

Edited by danmcq

I am curious to see if Dayo vocalizes how things should now be situated based on how they were at the other house. How are his navigational skills? Did he have to learn the hard way that the layout of his world has changed or did he seem to understand it from the beginning?

Thanks Dancor the update. We have been patiently waiting to hear.......I love the detailed update, and it sounds like a beautiful new house you have moved to. Can't wait to hear how Dayo responds to the new neighbors in the trees.

Congratulations on your new home Dan. If you are still going back to the former home, you still have time to swap those fixtures in the kitchen out for Dayo. It's the least you can do. I really appreciate your description of Dayo being disconcerted at being in a new home. If it would disorient him when he has you, Kim, Jake, your dogs and all your own furniture it make me more keenly aware of the upheaval Gilbert has had. I am sure that having his own cage and his routine has been a big help. It won't take him long at all to find his way back to the kitchen. Take care and enjoy your new home.

I am curious to see if Dayo vocalizes how things should now be situated based on how they were at the other house. How are his navigational skills? Did he have to learn the hard way that the layout of his world has changed or did he seem to understand it from the beginning?

As he watched us move furnishings around to their final resting spot, he would occasionally say "There, that's better". :) His real-time navigation skills were not lacking at all. He spotted where things were that he recognzed and flew directly to them. There are times he will launch and fly a few times around the living room getting the aerial perspective or venture down the hallway a bit or kitchen and then return to his cage or T-Stand or Tree stand. He will not land on any spot in the kitchen yet. He will go and relax on my shoulder in the kitchen and I can see from my peripheral vision that he is still observing, mapping and deciding where there safe places are so he will not die. :P He has realized he can fly much higher with the vaulted ceilings in the living room and recognizes the skylights are windows and thus no accidental crashes in to them.

I will say he seems very needful right now and first view of my wife peeking in his cage in the morning is an instantaneous regurge or if we have been outside and come back in he fly's to her and regurges instantly. I can only assume this is the deeply embedded instinctive knowledge that separation from the flock means certain death. He also makes a sound coming from the inside that is a very endearing one. It has been rarely heard by us over the years, but you know it is from a deep emotional feeling of relief and love.

Dan, Your descriptions of Dayo and these changes in his life give me insight to a "normal" grey that I can apply to Gilbert that open my eyes. When he first came, he would pump his head and regurg, I thought that could be a mating interest. He has not done that with me since his early days. This morning he was so happy to see me and made that deep, sighing kind of sound and then he tried regurging. Until I read your words, I did not have the insight to connect it to being relief after a fear reaction. It stormed hard last night. In the beginning he would shout and sound sirens at storms. He lived on the Mississippi gulf coast through several major hurricanes. He has become more stable now, didn't sound his alarms and hasn't had a feather chewing nervousness. Thanks so much for this thread, it helps me understand my journey with Gilbert in new ways.

They are so arrogant right up until it interferes w/them being so fragile, aren't they? But Dayo being Dayo he'll probably get his full on mojo back before you've learned where you're keeping the silverware now.

Hope all of you really enjoy your new home. Congratulations :cool:

• Haha 1

This morning he was so happy to see me and made that deep, sighing kind of sound and then he tried regurging. Until I read your words, I did not have the insight to connect it to being relief after a fear reaction.

It's good to hear that the move to a different home for us and our birds is shedding light for you and hopefully for others. Other than bringing Dayo home from the breeders several years ago, this was the largest change he has ever experienced. Gilberts behavior does indeed sound identical to Dayo's when they need emotional support and assurance the "Flock" will guide them down the safe path. :)

They are so arrogant right up until it interferes w/them being so fragile, aren't they? But Dayo being Dayo he'll probably get his full on mojo back before you've learned where you're keeping the silverware now.

Hope all of you really enjoy your new home. Congratulations :cool:

LOL! I know you are 100 % correct on that one. I kind of have a secret self serving wish for him to stay more needful. But, that wouldn't be the Dayo I love and look forward to seeing once again the brazen acts he is known for. I would never wish for any creatures "Spirit" to be broken. :)

I would never wish for any creatures "Spirit" to be broken. :)

No, never! But can we all admit that we have at some time or another wished they could be just an itsey bit less idk... positive that they're the dominant species all the time? lol

Edited by birdhouse

Dayo sounds like he is adjusting quite well. Regurg is not always sexual, but a sign of love and confirmation of a birds feeling as being part of the family.Sophie will regurg about once a week after several hours of serious bonding. NEVER in the mouth as they prefer. In my hand only. I always thank her,for that extra "love" moment.I DO worry, as many owners think that regurg is sexual. I really feel that owners are not tuned into a loving moment. Nancy

Hey Dan, I hope it all goes smoothly. Moving sucks! If it is any help I will tell you what happened when we moved-- Brutus sulked and hid in a closet and then sat on a darkened door for a few days. He couldn't seem to wrap his head around his new environment. It seemed like he was thinking that it would all go away and be back to "normal" if he ignored the situation. It actually took a couple of months before he was back to playing with abandon. Maybe Dayo will not be as sensitive.

I moved home at the beginning of March and was super worried about how Alfie and my two cats would react. Funnily enough, Alfie was the calmest out of all of us. I moved everything else first and left Alfie and the cats til last. Alfie got put in his carrier and watched as we deconstructed his cage and loaded it into the van (it's too big to fit through doors unfortunately!) He then watched as we put it all back together again. When we got to the new house the living room was -mostly- set up. All the big stuff was in place, everything else was in boxes. I put his carrier in the cage and opened the door and let him come out in his own time. He settled really quickly- probably because the cage was exactly the same as he'd left it, I guess.

The cats were worse then he was. One was ok, but the other hid and was quite unsettled for a few days.

Funny how they can surprise you!

Hope your move went well and everyone settled in ok!