NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chronic Plucking ( Different than acute plucking)--Some Facts

Dave007

Serious chronic plucking is involved. A diagnosis is made. A possible solution is given. A bird collar. For so many birds A collar isn't going to fix the problem unless you plan for him to wear it for the rest of his life. His plucking is something that was a formed habit prior to you getting him. A physical block will not fix it, because it's not a physical problem - it is an emotional one. This is how he has learned to deal with his feelings. Its not YOUR fault. You took on a known plucker. Even when you provide the best environment possible, he still may pluck (and will more than likely continue to do so for the rest of his life). When I first dealt with my friend's TAG, Romeo (who was a known shredder prior to him getting her) I thought that as long as I temporarily provided the best environment it would stop immediately. This was a common but FALSE way of thinking. He went 8 weeks without touching his feathers, then one day I came home and he had completely shredded her chest and tail feathers. I cant even begin to tell you what you what it was like to call my buddy about it. At my friend's house he was in a perfect environment (he was beyond spoiled - He ruled the roost). I was devastated and thought I did something wrong because I had worked with other pluckers with good results. In actuality there was NOTHING I could do to really do to fix the problem. He was probably leaving his feathers alone because he was in a new home with very new distractions - He then settled in a bit and had decided to be himself. Over time, as long as you keep providing the most stable best environment possible, his plucking will curb some but NEVER truly go away. Look at it like an ADDICTION, he did not get to this state overnight - it cannot be cured overnight either. This is a life long problem, just when you think he is done - he will relapse. You are living with an addict (in a bird form) and don't take what he does personal, just love him and help him through it. One of my vet's first words to me were 'you will never fix this, either be prepared to live with this problem for the rest of the birds life or walk away now' -This was told to my friend with me visiting the vet at the same time. His love for this bird and his connection with him,He could never leave him just because was not perfect. His bird will eventually get to a point where he may go weeks without incident, then a few months, then a few years, then out of no where when he looks absolutely perfect he does it again. Ignore the problem and act like its not there, don't give any attention when he does it. If you come home and he's plucked himself bald don't treat him any different than normal - act as if you don't even notice it. Put soothing liquids and gels on him but enjoy him for him and forget the feathers. This is an emotionally unstable bird and its going to take TIME, LOTS OF IT. Go in with the mindset that he's yours for the rest of his life and if he wants to be naked then so be it. Trying to physically block the problem (collar) is going to cause him to become even more emotionally upset as he has no outlet for his pent up feelings, plucking is his way to cope. Worse would be if he tries to find a different outlet - then you will have two behavioral problems instead of one. Provide the perfect environment, accept his condition, and you will be surprised at the results. Its a very long hard road but remember that this is what you signed up for. You saw he needed help and you came to his aid. You could of easily bought a baby from a breeder and never had to deal with this problem. What you did do though is take on a wonderful bird that most would of walked away from, due to his problem, and are giving him the chance to really enjoy life. Rescuing is not easy, but extremely rewarding in ways you would never had known had he been perfect from the start. Stay strong and you will eventually get through this. This also applies to female birds.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the encouraging post. I have a 2 year old CAG who plucks whens shes bored angry etc... tough to deal with. She is otherwise very happy, sings/talks all the time and very playful..but she plucks. Ive tried changing her diet and some aloe sprays but hasnt helped. Any other ideas?

That's the way she treats anger. Can you change how she feels about anger or how she treats herself when angry? I doubt it. You make it sound like she stops periodically. You should be happy about that. Some birds go into a shell. Some birds start biting for what seems to be over nothing. Some birds stop eating for a while. Believe it or not, your bird is happy. Plucking makes her feel good. Not plucking makes her feel good. Singing, playing, talking makes her feel good. Sometimes the problem goes away. The best you can do is to make sure you have a non-toxic gel such as aloe vera gel around to put on wounds or bald spots. Some say that changing diet will do the trick. Personally, concerning a chronic plucker, I've yet to see any diet change do anything. The diet change may make the bird healthier but good health and chronic plucking have nothing to do with each other. Just remember that she shows you her happiness.

Also know that your bird may be a chronic and or an acute plucker who stops at times. It's hard to judge. Some breeding hens plucker the lower half of their breast area to keep the chicks warm. Others don't. I wish I could give a sure fire solution but I can't BUT I'm working on one and plan to sell my plan to all parts of the world. My buddy Dan who's here is contributing his scientific ideas.

Edited by Dave007

Dave, Thanks so much for addressing this and bringing it up again. I brought Gil home with known plucking issues and because of reading your posts and others here tell me to not take it personally and just go on as if nothing happened, it would be the right thing for her. I have taken your advise and we have an occasional stressor that will culminate in her trying to tell me something about her anxieties and she will chew off her feathers from her neck to her legs. I just continue to reassure her about what the stressor was, most recently when I had to go to the hospital with a very ill family member. Gil was in good hands but a few days was a long time to her. By understanding this is an emotional issue with her, it has been much easier for me to love her through it and not get to frantic that I need to "do" something. And you are also spot on with the observation that she might just shut down if she couldn't deal with her anger and frustration. That's how we met and it just keeps improving with her all the time. I really couldn't have done it without the wise counsel of forum friends. You guys have been a big part of giving Gilda a new outlook on life. Thanks.

Dave.... excellent post! What I find amazing... is birds that pluck, tend to be very happy, and have parrents that put the extra time in with their birds! Excellent parents! When I was put in a situation, where our sunconure in foster care hated everyone, was out of forever homes, we were his only hope, I took it to heart.

Kids knew I would NEVER allow us to have a closed cage. Just me. We would have to dedicate a room for the bird. A cage, and a gym. When we were all on the same page... Sunny our sunconure, was adopted. Next came Kiki our Amazon. Another cage and gym. Then came Sophie, another cage and gym. WHOAH! What was I thinking?

They adapted quickly to each other, and eventually the Amazon fell in love with the sunconure, Sophie the grey, ruled the roost. They eventually moved in together. ALL of them into one cage! Their exposure to each other was limited and monitored. 24/7. Kiki flew away several months ago. Sunny was heartbroken. When I got home today... Sophie was quiet, unusual, I went in to pick her up... found her snuggling with Sunny! I am so happy she took Sunny under her wing. Sophie has a heart of gold. Nancy