NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why do I look on Craigslist!

KimKim

Amen! I am on Craigslist every day. It is terrible, I even began looking for finches until I came to my senses. I will tell you what folks have told me: KimKim, you cannot save every bird out there. Birds require a lot of work (more work than needed for a dog), and the bird(s) you have require the best of you. The fewer birds you have, the more time you can spend with the one(s) you have. There is a cute thread somewhere on this forum that discusses "MBP" or "Multiple Bird Syndrome", where one (or two or three) is simply not enough! ;) People post in that thread to encourage others to keep their numbers down.

That being said, I very quickly looked to see where you are located and I am in California too. I have not heard of your town but now you have me wanting to browse all California city classifieds until I find that post, which will no doubt tug at my own heartstrings! Darn you! ;)

Another thing: If you feel you could give this bird a great home for life, or perhaps foster him/ her and give that bird some freaking toys for probably the first time ever, go for it. Just be sure to think long-term (as I'm sure you have)- birds take time, lots of money, and plenty of sacrifice...

Keep us posted. :)

Oh KimKim, the Craigslist post just broke my heart. The bird is probably "mad lately" about much more than just the cats pestering him. He needs toys. And she's nuts for asking $600 for the "marcow", as he will probably require a lot of work to be socialized again. Of course, I say that having set up a $500 payment plan for my own, nearly feral and one-eyed Grey. People sure are greedy, aren't they?! I wish that lady would just let that bird go to a good home for free!

I do the same thing here in the Dallas area. There was one that got me so upset, i did call and although they were asking 600.00 i made a "if you don't find an good home for her offer of 250.00, call me". He said ok and called me back within 10 minutes to say, if you want her, she is yours. I scrambled to find someone to take her in and she ended up with a neighbor of mine that night. She is doing great now and is getting her feathers back and she talks up a storm. Last night said something in Spanish too! If you really think you can house this bird, i say atleast make an offer, all they can say is no. Chances are though they won't, they may counter your offer. By now she/he has probably gotten so much hate emails from people about the condition of the bird that selling it quick would be a blessing.

I should mention that i have 2 blue and golds myself and just love them to pieces. They are so smart and such goofballs. We laugh at them and with them everyday! I guess it depends on the bird itself but i have been bit by them both and can say with all honesty, their bark is alot worse than their bite! My hubbys grey, Gabby, bites are much worse and our umbrella bites like nothing i have ever felt before, lol. Our macaws are a walk in the park in comparison!

Edited by murfchck

You haven't heard back right? New email address and a $200.00 offer is next. :-) Keep being another person and hound her with low ball offers untill she caves! Heehee, Save Marcow!!

Okay, i emailed her myself, someone near him, be ready! Lol i love these saving missions!

Edited by murfchck

I was thinking about you, KimKim! I don't remember, did the ad have a phone number? If so, call it. But I think you only have the email address, yes? That is strange you didn't get a response, did anyone here who contacted her get a response? I don't want to make assumptions about the poster's native language (which could be English, you never know)- but I wonder if there is in fact a language barrier... Is the ad still active?

I never heard back either. Lets see if they respond, Moonrock- try and send an email to them, without mentioning the rehome fee. Just that your interested and would like to see him to see if your a match, something like that... Also, ask the cage size, that could show them you are serious. To get email addy, craigslist- near by cities- san diego- pets- marcow. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I look on Craig's List too. I wish I wouldn't... it breaks my heart to see them. We have 4 birds already..well, my daughter has 2 and my wife and I have 2. Whenever my daughter and her hubby get ready (just married in May) they'll take 2 with them....but 2 is enough....for now... OKAY, where was that thread for MBS?!?!?

Don't think bad of me, but I have made a conscious choice not to view craigslist or rescue sites regarding parrots. It can't rescue them. I just devote myself to giving my girl the best life possible. I am not capable of giving a good home to any other birds now. I just focus on the grey God has given me, and hope the best for the rest. The need is great, but we have to know our abilities and limitations.

Now you have done it, I have never before considered looking up parrots on Craigslist, and now I am wanting to scour the internet. I will hold off since Gilbert needs so much patience and attention, but now I know where to look. Hope you get a call back about Charger.