NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi New and looking for advice

Ossy

Hi im new to this site and am looking to buy a parrot.After 12 months of looking and iffinf and butting at different ones ,I have now all but decided on an African Grey.However once my intentions to my family have been announced I have now been offered a 3 year old yellow crested amazon by my uncle as due to commitments they need to rehome .Can anyone advise me on this offer .Deep down i would like a talking parrot but this isnt a priority at all as i know this is an added bonuu however i dont want to be stuck with a parrot with is great but just talks and talks what the prev owner has taught it .I understand that the amazon has a learning period in which it learns new phrases etc,Once again i am not just getting a parrot to talk but also i would pefer that if it did speak or mimic it would be things I had taught it .Any advise please

Guest briansmum

hi ossy, welcome to the forum. i dont know anything about amazons really so i can't say much.

what i would say is visit this bird, see how it interacts with you and around you, maybe the two of you will click.

on the other hand if you have your heart set on a grey, and you have done all the research and are fully prepared then don't deny yourself, they're wonderful :)

No i am under no obligation but as i have taken so long deciding upon the right one or what i think is the right one ,i was then offered the yeloow crested amazon which is approx 3 years old .its is rung just not got exact age with me .i feel thats if this is a reasonable option i could maybe offer the amazon a good home .however ias id prev decided afeter 12 months looking ,i dont want to end up having made a wrong choice which i may regret and be stuck with for years as i would never rehome it if i accepted it

I have seen the amazon and its a lovely bird .Friendly except the odd nip or should i say more a nibble but most of its vocabulary is related to the family it lives with .Of course.However if it is not at the end of the learning window for an amazon i would be stuck with this .However with an ag i understand they learn all the time so if i got the bonus of a talker it would be my mimics etc.as i said before if theres no taker its no prob so speech isnt a priority

Guest briansmum

greys learn their whole lives, and from day one will constantly surprie you. and even if you're grey never talks (small chance but it's possible) or only talks when it thinks you can't hear it, they are completely amazing in so many ways. but i'm biased ;)

Get both. Amazons are smart, loving birds. Mine are cleaner than my greys and MUCH better behaved. Their vocabulary is limited.if you spend time with Amazons they will learn to say many words. The greys are quick to pick up words and phrases and are very , very smart.They have different personalities of course, just like people. It would be wonderful to have your uncles amazon. What a fantastic offer! You will never stop at one parrot anyway once you get yours;) . So get both :)

Omg dont say that .Im now more confused.The amazon is a great bird but does sulk but not for long .It will sulk for a week or so if it is told off as it does behave quite well however my only doubt is the fact theat it speaks of all my uncles family and dog and cat etc and if this is all i would ever hear i think id struggle to have a taking bird who doesnt eben say my name for another 30 years or more lol

Welcome Ossy! I think this is a decision you have to make. If you've been looking and iffing for 12 months, I think you probably know what you'd prefer. If I had a choice between a baby grey or someone elses 3 year old Amazon, I'm going with the grey, but that's me. Have you ever owned a parrot before? Do you have any biting fears? Baby parrots are a huge commitment, and take up alot of your time.

What do you know about your uncles Amazon? Is it a good bird? Does he bite alot? Does he talk alot? Does he scream all the time? Is this bird something you have considered over the course of the last 12 months that you've been iffing?

We have an African Grey and a Double Yellow Head Amazon, I love them very much!! They are very different birds though, and we chose them both for specific reasons. We also have a pair of Cockatiels, and they are alot of fun too!

I probably wasn't as helpful as you would've liked, but it's really a personal preference. I sure don't regret getting Hemingway, he's my CAG, and I woudn't trade him for a million bucks!!

Lots of Luck, Valerie :)

I think after 12 months i should stick to my choice of an african grey but i would hate the amazon ,murphy as hes called to go to a bad home as hes great .sulks but forgives lol .I also have a quaker who is a traitor lol .He hated females for 5 years until my wife decided he liked to take breakfast with her .tea and toast lol .Now cheeky the quaker has dumped me lol

Guest briansmum

it is true, once you pop you can't stop with birds.. i REALLY want another one and i've only had bri 5 months. but alas... no rooom!

I think my guilt over murphys next onwer should not take priority here but as i9 cant afford murphy ansd my new family memeber i should maybe stick to my ifs and buts and commit myself to my new son after 12 months of umming and wanting to get the rite boy

Hello Ossy and welcome to the group. Well now you have quite the opportunity, you have a chance to obtain a beautiful amazon who's personality you already know, he is friendly and not a biter, healthy etc. With all the research that you have done on the grey, you are well aware of the life span so why not have them both. They will most likely be great company for each other when you are not around. Not often do we have the opportunity in life to obtain such a great bird free. If the situation is that you think you may not be able to afford him then you would be best off to pass him over to another home where his health and saftey comes first. Parrots can cost you alot of money especially if they become ill, rule of thumb is $2.00 a day for an emergency, avian vets are not cheap. Good luck with your choice.Enjoy :)

Benny

Hi thanks Fourtrap nice to speal to you .I may have given the impression that the Amazon was for free but it actaullyisnt its for sale at a price of £600 stg maybe around $1200 approx.Hes a great guy but im now unsure as at the moment its either one or the other

cheers well now im looking at finances for both .Room shouldnt be a prob although cheeky quaker has too be be alone maybe as hes only got one foot as an AG ripped the other off when he sneaked out to the prev owner .But hey hes a top quaker a brave guy and im sure hes dint hild grudges lol

Guest briansmum

i wouldnt count too much on them being company for each other either, they might hate each other and plea for your attention!

it is your decision, but if you can only have one.. for finances etc, then you have to follow your heart :)

Ossy, welcome here, I'm happy you joined us :)

So, you're doubting between getting this amazone or a grey?

Let your heart take you, is what I would say ;)

Hello and welcome to the family, Ossy, glad you could join us. The others have given you some excellent advice and I cannot add much more.

I would definitely go with the grey and whether or not you take the amazon also is a decision you will have to make, but both will make good companions but not in the same cage. I have two birds and I think that they keep each other company during the day while I am gone but they don't get along if they are both out at the same time.

Keep us informed as to what you are going to do, we care about you and your incoming flock.

Thanks all for the help and advice.Ive decided to go for the grey and leave the amazon as I think my uncle has another person interested in it now .Now the hardest part lol locating a well bred grey in UK :whistle:

I have amazons and greys. although they do not really "play" with each other they talk to each other , finish each others whistles and try to snitch each others treats. I think the 2 birds you are thinking of would most certainly be good company even if not directly interacting.

Hi sorry to bother you all again but has anyone any knowledge of a King African Grey which suppodley has red in its chest and wings as well as its tail.I ahve been offered one from a reputable breeder but cant seem to find any mention of them anywhere

Never heard of a "King" African Grey. What you are describing sounds more like an African Grey with the "Red Factor". This is a mutation that causes red feathers to grow on their body in places other than the Tail. It is not a different species of Grey as this breeder is seemingly trying to imply.

You can do a search for Red Factor here on the forum and find comments and photos of greys with this mutation.