NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

do beaks regrow, from baby beak to adult beak ???

charlie boy

hi sorry if the title looks daft lol...

basically charlies beak over the last couple of days seems to be receading/cracking at the tip (the sharp bit :)) thats the only way i can explain it..

its as if it were a new beak growing under the old one and looking like its pushing up/out like a childs new tooth pushing the baby tooth out..

i dont really know any other way to explain it, i hope someone knows what im going on about lol :confused:

i can try to get a close up picture of his beak if needed, im just looking for reasurrance really ..

thnx in advance for any help, i really appreciate it :D

hi sorry if the title looks daft lol...

basically charlies beak over the last couple of days seems to be receading/cracking at the tip (the sharp bit :)) thats the only way i can explain it..

its as if it were a new beak growing under the old one and looking like its pushing up/out like a childs new tooth pushing the baby tooth out..

i dont really know any other way to explain it, i hope someone knows what im going on about lol :confused:

i can try to get a close up picture of his beak if needed, im just looking for reasurrance really ..

thnx in advance for any help, i really appreciate it :D

It's nothing uusual. Line appear left to right. Undeneath there seems to be a fresh new beak growing out. That area is shiny black, The top layer of the beak is dying and will eventually be scraped off by your bird. You won't see pieces of it falling off. This will happen periodically but any ew beak area growing out won't remain black for long. Because of scraping, rubbing, cleaning, the whole beak will eventully turn dark gray.

P1010010c.jpg

It's nothing uusual. Line appear left to right. Undeneath there seems to be a fresh new beak growing out. That area is shiny black, The top layer of the beak is dying and will eventually be scraped off by your bird. You won't see pieces of it falling off. This will happen periodically but any ew beak area growing out won't remain black for long. Because of scraping, rubbing, cleaning, the whole beak will eventully turn dark gray.

P1010010c.jpg

thnx for the reasurrance :)

thats exactly whats it is, so this will keep happening ??

thnx for the reasurrance :)

thats exactly whats it is, so this will keep happening ??

Yes it will. Only very young birds keep that shiny black beak. As the bird ages, so will the the scraping, cleaning, rubbing. Greys are very aware of what's on their beak and don't like the feel of stuff on the beak. Periodiclly put a tiny bit of olive oil on the bek. The beak will look black but it won't last long. Most of all, don't worry about it. It's just their way of doing cleaning. They will also scrape to hone done the pointiness of the beak. It's all part of being a grey owner.

i absolutely love your avatar picture :)

how many shots did it take you to capture your grey in flight looking magnificent :)

I have lots of shots of him flying. He was very predictable. He loves to fly to my wife or me. It was easy to prepare to take phtos of him.

I have lots of shots of him flying. He was very predictable. He loves to fly to my wife or me. It was easy to prepare to take phtos of him.

thnx again for your advice and wealth of info...

im going to have the mrs snapping away now with the camera whilst i stand waiting for him haha

i absolutely love your avatar picture :)

how many shots did it take you to capture your grey in flight looking magnificent :)

Sorry to jump in but as a photographer I thought I might be able to help you, I don't recommend using flash for animals but if you use a flash you can have a freeze like photo easily. If you don't want to use flash, use somewhere with good lightning and put your camera in sport mode and you can have a perfect pic like Dave's awesome profile pic! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in but as a photographer I thought I might be able to help you, I don't recommend using flash for animals but if you use a flash you can have a freeze like photo easily. If you don't want to use flash, use somewhere with good lightning and put your camera in sport mode and you can have a perfect pic like Dave's awesome profile pic! ;)

thnx and yes daves pic is awsome :)