NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys don't burp, do they?

n2fisher

Odd question -- my grey, Gandalf, makes a burping noise in all the other noises he makes .. as well as sneezing, clucking, and words.

I presume that the burping and sneezing are mimicing us and the previous owner, and not actual noises that he makes; i.e. he's not sneaking beer or soda on the side somewhere.

Thanks for the quick replies! I love this forum!

Another question -- he goes through the motions of yawning. This isn't mimicing a sound, but it sure looks real, and I reply to it by yawning myself, so perhaps he's mimicing my motions as well?

Oh Boy, Dayo's not burping so far, but neither Kim or I Burp loudly if ever. Now I do have one Grandson Son that Belches louder than most grown-ups. I am going to talk to him about NOT doing that around Dayo's earshot ;-)

Dayo Yawns when tired, but I can get him to yawn if I act like I'm yawning. It must be infectious to them as it is to us humans. :-)

Boy does Radar Burp. He has only lived with us for the last 5 years, the burp is one of those things he learned before he came to live with us. He does it when we are eating, so he knows what is all about.

I almost took Richard to the vet because we woke up one morning to Richard coughing and sneezing. This wasn't an intermittent thing...he sounded like he was hit hard with the flu. Then my son came out of his room sneezing and coughing from allergies. I can't imagine the embarrassment and anger I'd feel if I had to pay half a week's salary just to hear the vet tell me, "Richard isn't sick. He's mimicking your son's coughing and sneezing. Pay the receptionist at the front please. NEXT!".

It gives a new meaning to the term "pet peeves". :) But I wouldn't trade him for the world. There's never a dull moment in the life of a parrot owner.

I guess nomatter how you try, you can't cover all the bases with these birds. I never thought about burping, sneezing and coughing. You always think of them mimicking stuff like the doorbells and phones, not bodily funtions. Thank God nobody F--ts in this house! HA!

Valerie