NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Piper Still Hates Me!

Talon

I just wanted to post an update on what I once thought would be my first cockatiel. Piper has been with us for 9 months now. He has quite the big personality, big temper and has no problem letting you know what he wants and when. He has a way of communicationg those things to you that my other parrots don't even come close to.

Well 9 months later and he still hates me. I have accepted the fact that he probably will never like me, and that's okay with me. Ihave no idea why he feels as he does, but I have come to terms with it with no sadness on my part. After all, those of us that have parrots clearly understand that you can't force a bond or love, or a like on them. :)

Anytime I go near him to change his water and give fresh food or snacks, or to close up his cage at night and cover him for bed, he hisses and spits at me, I actually find it very amusing and giggle when he does.

He adores my daughter, I told her he is HER bird and although I do the daily care, she cleans his cage and spends time with him. She brings him to the ou ter and shares her breakfast with him. When I walk by, he hides next to the potty basket as though I can't see him....) My youngest son and my daughters boyfriend has been accepted into the Piper I Like You Club, they can handle him and he is fine with them.

Another cute the g he does, is every time he hears my daughter opening the garage door as sheis driving up the driveway, he screams until she comes inside and says hi to him.....I don't know how he knows it's her, but he does....incredibly smart!!!!

Okay, just wanted to share the update........I don't need another bird, I am at my max, probably a bit over with 6 birds, working 3 jobs and the dogs and cats and kids.....but the way I see it, is I made the commitment, and I owe it to them all to make it work and provide them with the best care I can and spend the most time I can with them, and it is working for now!

Piper doesn't hate you! Piper knows you have accepted his bad behavior and you are tolerating the bad behavior. It is difficult when we have many birds.Even when another family member is the parent, they aren't around as much as us.Even though Ryan is bonded to Sunny, Kiki is bonded to Sean, they are off at college. It is my responsibility, to continue to educate them, teach them " acceptable behavior". I have no problems with Kiki, but still need to wear my " white bathrobe", when picking up Sunny. I wish I could just pickup Sunny like Ryan does. I never will, and thats okay. I will still be able to pick him up, and work with him.(even on his terms!)Nancy

Believe me he knows its her when she comes home so that doesn't surprise me but what does is that he still hisses at you when you get close, maybe you are trying too hard, why not back off and sort of give him the cold shoulder and see if he responds to that. My tiel gets along with both of us but she doesn't much care for any other members of the family like the kids and grandkids but then they are not here every day, I haven't heard her hiss at any of them though. Piper is a feisty one indeed.

Thanks for the advice, but in o way do I try too hard. I'm too easy going, I made small efforts in the beginning and have continued to gently try. But realizing as of the last few weeks, that this is how he feels, and it is what it is..believe me, I don't really care anymore, I enjoy his feisty attitude towards me. It doesn't stop me from offering him toast an treats and caring for him as needed.

• 1 month later...

Piper still adores my daughter only. He is a one person bird for sure! Every time he sees her, he whistles loudly for her. Expects to be put on the counter for breakfast with her, and YELLS if she leaves him for a second while he's with her. He has a very strong personality, and let's her know...come back, don't walk away when we are together!!! He yells by whistling so loud. He is adorable! As always, I watch from my spot with my 3 near me...:)

Oh yes a cockatiel can have a very strong bond to one person.

Almost all my tiels were would go to anyone but there were 3. One was very bonded to me, One very bonded to my wife and one very bonded to my son.

Our GCC Stewart does not like my wife. He starts clicking, fluffing up, side-to-side rocking and this cute little 'licking his lips' routine whenever my wife gets close to him. We all think it's cute, they've both written each other off. There's a line in the sand, we all accept it.

Yes, we have a line in the sand at my house as well. I get hissed and spit at every day when I feed him or cover him at night...:) BUT in the am when I uncover his cage, he calls me Pretty Bird...and when I open his cage, he has a Thank you whistle he uses on everyone.

Piper doesn't know what he is missing by passing you over. Everyone in our family went through "trial by fire" with Java and over six years she has gotten to tolerate everyone but she still will give her stinkeye to my husband even as she sits on his shoulder. He is resigned to be guarded with her and she is resigned to permitting him to live in the same house. You have a great attitude towards the situation and keeping the little stinker supplied with treats and snacks and your love from a little bit of a distance. It is remarkable that Piper recognizes her car above the rest. It's also nice for you to smile as you watch your daughter being gifted with Piper's love and devotion even when he is being such a pip to you.

Thank you Katana600 for your understanding and kind words. Some here seem to think I am upset or worried over ir. I LOVE watching how he adores my daughter and only her. Tolerates my son and my dauighters boyfrined, and allows them to pick him up and hang out on them when they are watching tv, but is so quick to show his distaste for me..LOL It is quite amusing for me to watch and learn how different birds are so different towards people.

Their attachments and decisions birds make regarding people really fascinate me. I've been trying to figure out for the whole time I've had Timber why his "favorite" is my son Dakota, who is seldom here and doesn't spend much time trying to win him over when he is. Someone in his past? Chemistry? The way he looks? Guess we'll never know, but I continue to wonder.