NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wild Parrots

BMustee

My work is really close to the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers FL and we have a bunch of flocks of wild parrots that seem to live in the area. I was never able to get a good look at any of them though; I would just hear their definite Conure calls and be able to make out that they had predominant green coloring. They would always be flying to high or hiding in the palm trees to see what they were. Well, yesterday I was driving from the warehouse to the corporate office that’s a block from the river and as I was sitting in the truck at a red light I heard the very distinctive call of a Conure. I looked up into a palm tree next to the road and it was FULL of Nanday Conures. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in person. It was awesome to see them interacting with each other in a wild setting like that, and I just hope I get to see them that close again real soon.

Very interesting BMustee .

I googled wild Parrots in Florida and it seems there are several species in the wild there that escaped from zoo's in Hurricanes etc. The Quaker population seems to be what they claim is the largest population?

From what I have read there are 70 or more species here, 25 of which are breeding in the wild, California oly has about 10 breeding species. At least 10,000 monk parakeets/Quaker Parrots now call Florida home, and I do believe that that is the most common in the state. I myself have never seen them, just Macaws and now the Nandays. We used to have native Carolina Parakeets in Florida, but they went extinct because poeple would kill them to protect crops. :(

I have seen the Parrots of Telegraph hill movie. Its a cute independent film about the wild parrot flock in San Francisco. Good flick to watch on a rainy weekend with winter coming. Worth watching. :P California does have several flocks. Mainly along the coast. I see them regularly moving from Santa Barbara down to San Diego...My father lives in Malibu and sees some daily that see to make the area home. Very cute.

I've watched a few things on the parrots of Telegraph Hill.

The funniest thing I think my area of Florida has is wild Spider Monkeys in Naples. Someone proposed eradicating them but the city or county said NO WAY...and now they are protected.

I don't see the indian ringnecks too often as it is a 75 mile drive south of us. :-(

I have seen the "Parrots of Telegraph HIll" and watched them on our several trips to San Franciso. The documentary and live viewing of them is awesome. :-)

• 8 months later...

Maybe no one will read this, but just in case, there are wild parrots that live in Redlands, California, the city next to Loma Linda. They called to my husband the evening he was dying. It was really special. I was told they were Mexican parrots, but I don't know. There is a flock in Anza-Borrego also. I don't know how they survive in the desert. kittykittykitty

danmcq wrote:

Closest to me is a big flock of breeding Indian Ringnecks in the Bakersfield area.

Me too! The only good thing bout where I live (Slough, UK) - and they go past overhead every morning and evening. Even saw about 20 feeding on a beech tree once; my boyfriend and I stood watching for ages. Then some guy walking his dog came past us and said, 'oh, yeah, they come down into my garden.'

At that point I wished I didn't just live on the flight-path and that I had a garden :(

I don't know if the quakers is the biggest population but they are the most trouble. They build their nest in the power lines and they can cause outages and fires.

I would love to see a bunch of wild quakers in person and hear them too.