NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New House

neoow

I moved house two weeks ago and I'm pleased to say that Alfie took it all in his stride. I was far more stressed than he was about everything. I was really worried about moving him and my two cats. I left all of the animals until last to allow me time to move furniture roughly in place in the new house. Alfie was fine with it all. He watched as we took all the furniture away. He didn't really want to go in his carry box but did so without too much trouble/hassle and when I put him in his cage in the new house he settled in much quicker than I thought he would! Not really sure why I was so worried now haha!

He just sat and stared and checked everything out. New surroundings but familiar furniture with the same cage (and same cage layout as he had at the old house). It didn't take him long to start whistling away at me again. It took the cats twice as long as Alfie to get used to things!

I'm very lucky really because Alfie isn't as change adverse as some other African Grey's I have read about. He has been on holidays before and has always settled in quite quickly. He's usually pretty good with new toys except for the odd one or two that he freaked out about when he first saw them.

Happy parrot = happy owner!

Remember too, to take your bird on a tour of the house. Showing each room, talking about it. They get caught up too in the excitement of it all. Nancy

This will be my next move. He seems happy with the lounge/diner where he is based but I haven't yet taken him on a tour of the rest of the house- thought I was best to give him some extra time to properly settle in to this room before tackling the others! But he seems perfectly happy and fine with this room.

The best part is, I now have my desk next to his cage so he has a lot more attention/company than before and can see/hear what I'm doing. He seems really happy about this and will perch nearby to keep an eye on me/what I'm up to. And of course there are times when he tries to "help" with my work as well! Haha

Oh NO! LOL! You're gonna be like me! Replacing your keyboard once a month! LOL! Once you decide to start the tour,remember it is about your bird. The moment they get nervous, back to neutral ground, thank them for their time, lets see some more when you are ready!They know you are pleased! Then they are pleased. All part of the bonding process and the development of trust. Nancy

Oh NO! LOL! You're gonna be like me! Replacing your keyboard once a month! LOL! Once you decide to start the tour,remember it is about your bird. The moment they get nervous, back to neutral ground, thank them for their time, lets see some more when you are ready!They know you are pleased! Then they are pleased. All part of the bonding process and the development of trust. Nancy

Hahah yeah and don't I know it! He tends to be ok for most of the time - likes perching on the back of my chair and watching what I'm doing. Occasionally he will creep over and start investigating things. I've managed to get this far without anything being broken though - the best trick I have is distracting him with something else like a plastic ball or another foot toy that he is more interested in!

Thanks for the tips on introducing him to different parts of the house. He's generally pretty good but it's always obvious when he's not happy with something. So I plan to take it slow and steady and see how he gets on. :)