NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mary's training journal

MoonRock

2/16/13 PM: I thought I would start a training journal to describe how things are going with my new human. I have the expectation that she will learn some basics: A request for her attention will be evident when I make the alarm clock sound or the door opening sound. When I want her to leave me alone, I will bite. Generally, past humans have been woefully inept at responding to my requests for attention, but very good at figuring out when I want to be left alone. Strangely, Mary is getting pretty good at figuring out when I want attention, but pretty bad at leaving me alone. You should totally see her arm! Seriously, lady, what part of I will not step up don't you understand?!

It has been 7 days since I first arrived here. Which is 7 days in African Grey parrot time. It has been interesting observing the human behavior I have witnessed. It is not exactly what I would consider "normal". For one thing, Mary doesn't have screaming young pestering me and throwing apple pieces at me. Don't ask me why, but I still like apples. Mary also gets very close to me, which sometimes makes me nervous but other times I kind of like the attention. You know that door opening sound I mentioned? Well, I learned that in one of my last three homes (I don't remember which one, since they were basically all the same). I would hear doors opening and closing a lot, and I learned to make that sound for humans to indicate I would like more pellets or water or whatnot. But the thing is, and not to be mean, humans can be kind of dim. So many times no one came for me. You may wonder why I used the door opening sound on Mary if I was so used to people ignoring my requests for attention, but I guess there was just something about her. Don't get me wrong, I don't trust her yet (and maybe I never will), but she just seemed to "get me" on some level. Like, when I first met her, I made my loudest scream for as long as I could. But she just sat there and didn't move. She had this look in her eyes I had never seen before. I think humans call it "concern". Anyway, I felt a little safer, especially when she used a soft voice between my screams. I started screaming a little less, at least until the human young commenced with the pestering. Plus there were a lot of angry voices in that house!

As I study this particular human, I will have more to say about whether or not her behavior is in line with what I have come to expect. I hope from the bottom of my heart that it will not be.

Anyway, I should get to perch now but I will be back tomorrow.

2/17/13 PM: I went to the so-called "groomer" today. No one preened my feathers, so I don't know what part of it was supposed to be "grooming". The part where my talons got tortured, and someone said "Oops!" and put yellow powder on one? The part where my beautiful wings got chopped (OK, well it was just the end four feathers and only halfway up on each, but still)? The part where my beak got rubbed with this sandy flat thing and I put up such a fight that the lady gave up? The part where this weird thing blew hot air all over me? Seriously, it was crazy.

But the thing is, there were so many humans around and so many birds around and everyone seemed pretty happy. That helped me to relax a little, especially when different humans came up to me and spoke in a soft voice. I even saw some fellow Greys (at least, I think that is what they were- they looked just like me!). These Greys actually liked the humans, and even sat on them without biting! it was all a really weird experience but also pretty cool.

I have to go to perch now but will write again soon.

• 3 weeks later...

3/10/13 AM: I think Mary's getting it, albeit very slowly. When I scream, there is a reason. Today I noticed one of the little budgies (also known as American parakeets- seriously, why do the little buggers need two titles?) out of the cage. I screamed about it, partly because the little bugger was annoying me by flying into the room, partly because I am jealous that my wings are clipped and his are not, and partly because Mary was taking so long to answer my alert-call. Finally Mary walked in and the look of surprise on her face at seeing a budgie on the loose was so priceless, I laughed! Mary quickly got the little bugger out of there (I hear his name is Pax, but whatever) and I waited calmly (and quietly) for Mary to come back with my praise and a nut, which she did. I mean, I seriously helped her to realize Pax was out of his cage, the least she could do was say "Thanks". And she did. :)

A side note: The other day Mary let me down when she was cleaning cages and I really needed her (so I screamed) but she ignored me. I felt pretty bad about that. I even considered asking Blueberrytunes or Dan if I could live with them instead, because they both have so much insight into Greys. But honestly, Mary has some good insight too. She just doesn't always put it into practice. Frankly she is amazed to be the keeper of such an intelligent, sensitive, aware being (me!) who requires some explanation every now and then. And seriously, I love her. I would not trade her for another human, I just want her to listen better. We are getting there...

3/10/13 AM:A side note: The other day Mary let me down when she was cleaning cages and I really needed her (so I screamed) but she ignored me. I felt pretty bad about that. I even considered asking Blueberrytunes or Dan if I could live with them instead, because they both have so much insight into Greys. But honestly, Mary has some good insight too. She just doesn't always put it into practice. Frankly she is amazed to be the keeper of such an intelligent, sensitive, aware being (me!) who requires some explanation every now and then. And seriously, I love her. I would not trade her for another human, I just want her to listen better. We are getting there...

Dayo here ... snuck on the pc while dad and mom are out shopping. I must put up with these two as well and yes humans are very dim witted and it has taken me years to train them. Their still slow in picking things up, but we're getting there. Whoops, gotta go, I hear the car pulling up! :P

• 1 month later...

4/16/13 super early AM: I came online to describe how things have been going with my human. We have had some successes and some setbacks. Let me break it down:

*Another Grey came to live with us! Her name is Ellie and it is so very clear to me what role Ellie has in the flock, but Mary has no idea! She asks me if I want Ellie to be like a sister, friend, or mate. Well it's obvious! You Greys know what I mean, I'm sure.

*Mary got me some awesome new toys. That's the good news. The bad news is, she has this bad habit of plunking them down way too close to me before I can decide if I actually like them. She even put this thing called a "swing" in my cage today, made of this scary material called "PVC", and it was pretty creepy to me. It would have been nice if she first put it across the room, and then moved it a little closer to my cage each day. You Greys know what I mean, I'm sure. (OK, I'll admit, it didn't take me long to accept this new thing in my cage. But still!)

*I bite when I am upset. I warn Mary as best I can that a bite is coming if she doesn't do X, Y or Z (or doesn't stop doing X, Y or Z). Just like my relationship to Ellie, Mary has a hard time understanding why I bite. Well it's obvious! You Greys know what I mean, I'm sure.

*Mary is actually pretty cool. I like her a lot, so now I make tons of noise to get her (my flock's) attention, just like I would out in the Congo. Furthermore, now that Ellie is around I like to try and get her attention too. The other day Ellie snuck out of her "quarantine" room (whatever that means) and climbed up onto my cage. We finally met and it was awesome. And Mary still doesn't know whether I consider Ellie my sister, friend, or mate?!

*I like my human, and I'm settling into my new life with her. I wake up happy and loud! I don't know what Mary's big deal is about the "loud" part, as like I said- I am happy!

Thanks for reading, Greys. And thanks for reading, too, humans. Hopefully you could understand everything I wrote. ;)