NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Soon To Be Owner, Need Advice Desperately

UT2

Hello All,

First off my apologizes for making my first post a question one. I feel it is very selfish. As you will read I am need of some advice.

Situation: My dad got the impulse to buy a grey about 3 weeks ago, he has handled birds when he was young but nothing on the level of large ones. So he wants to live his childhood dream of having a talking bird. I did the research and obviously found out that Greys are the best. If all goes well we will be booking a grey in two weeks (semi-local parrot ship), wait for it to be weaned and pick it up in about 3.5 months.

Problem 1: As of right now there is no cooperation on my pleas to get rid of air-freshers (Glade plug-ins, sprays, etc...), and teflon cookware. One of the reasons for this is that the shop owners we have visited have said that its OK to have air freshers AND cleaning products (Pine-sol, 401, Fabreeze etc..) as long as the bird is kept away from the area, and it is ok to cook on teflon as long you don't "burn it". During my research on many sites, even this one I have seen numerous responses to no teflon or it's ok as long as it does not burn.

Problem 2: Location of the bird cage. We live in Ohio, the winters here can be very cold. Right now we are thinking of placing him in the corridor area. This area has the front door in it and is directly connected to the kitchen. Smoke regardless it be from oil from cooking in a stainless steel pot, or margarine/butter being heated on teflon gets into the corridor where the bird will be located. I wanted to know how sensitive are birds to one, the cold draft that could be coming from the front door during winter or general smoke from cooking using oil (vegetable/corn) and margarine. We do have windows and exhaust we use when it gets too smokey in the house, but still. We will probably place a mat to cover the bottom of the door. This is location is the best since he/she will see a lot of people (center of the house). Sadly the kitchen connects to all the rooms on the first floor where the most activity is.

Problem 3: Cost. Let be very simple here, my dad is very old school and does not like spending money period. It is very reluctant that he is willing to shell out big bucks $1300 (total for bird with taxes) and about $200 dollars for a cage, we are still looking online for cages. I am very very scared that my dad may not possibly provide for this bird when it comes to the mix type of food they need, avian vet visits (don't know how often we should or when), and toys. What would be the average cost of caring for a grey after you have bought it per year, with food, vet visits, and toys (though I don't think you have to buy toys yearly).

Thank You very much for reading this, even just part of it. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED. The more I read about this bird and the responsibility involved the more scared I get. I know we can do it cause we are a family of 6, but the problems mentioned above concern me. I really want to get this bird, they seem very lovable and loyal, just worried about killing or harming it.

P.S. If there is anything else you think I should know as a heads up, please let me know. I will continue doing more research! And my dad does not wanna start off with a small bird, he is hooked on a talking African Grey Congo.

Teflon, perfumes , fabreeze , pinesol, lysol are all no's no's vinegar and water work great for cleaning and I use Pet Focus or you can use Poop-Off for cage cleaning , Brandi our grey has a 36inch Dome Type Cage she has lots of room and I think I spent a little over 300 dollars for her cage , cages aren't cheap unless you find a good deal on a nice used cage meaning a cage in good condition with no rust or chipped paint , then you have perches to buy , you will need different types of perches plus toys and you will always be buying toys , they destroy them and you buy more to replace them but to help save money you can try makeing toys their are sites with lots of toy parts and ideas on how to make toys , some I make and some I buy and theres food , pellets, Goldenfeast Mix , Veggies , beans , rice and other types of food

owning a parrot is not cheap , I have 4 and 2 are med size , my Grey and Amazon eat way more then the other 2 and no food is not cheap

owning and careing for a parrot is definitly not cheap and vet bills are not cheap

Well first off, you'll get many responses be they positive or negative and it's wise to understand that the answers will come from owners who've had lots of experiences good and bad.

Some subjects that you're asking have definite proven answers. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Experiences from people are very important.

Problem 1----Cleaning products can be used as long as the bird is very far away from the areas being cleaned. The bird has to be kept away until all the residual odor has disappeared.

Air freshners odor doesn't leave even after a person can't smell it anymore. Their lungs and nasal passages are 100 times more sensetive that people's are. What lingers is invisible to us but may cause a bird breathing difficulties and even death. It doesn't take very long for a bird to keel over when breathing problems start.

Teflon is a no no because it too gives off odors that can kill a bird quickly. Not Too hot isn't a good reason to have teflon around. You're playing with fire. Loads of people here have replaced their teflon. What was the upside of that? Their birds are still alive with no breathing or lung problems. Fortunately, with the last 2 yrs some companies have finally come out with cookware that duplicates all of the great things accomplished by teflon but they have no effect on birds at all ( non-stick--easy to clean etc.) There's others here that disagree with my take on teflon. I only speak for myself and others who've had serious problems caused by teflon.

Problem 2---You would need to rethink the area you'll put the bird in. Constant odors of different cooking items passing by them isn't good for the bird. The bird should be kept in the house in a generally warm, undrafty area. Loads of people here live in warmer areas than you and those rules still need to be applied. If you're gonna do all the normal correct things to raise that bird, it'll mean that the bird will be out of the cage quite a bit ( greys and other similar sized parrots can't be caged all day.) so, being near a kitchen isn't the proper place for the bird to be near because they can fly into that area and get injured or burnt from hot foods, hot appliances. Loads of people will tell you that kitchens are a big no no. They can also injure themselves by bumping or crashing into things in kitchens.

Problem 3-----Owning a grey or other large type parrot is an expensive project. The bird absolutely needs the proper food. That'll iclude fresh foods ( veggies--fruit) a decent seed mix. That's not something that can be debated. They need this food 24/7. There is no cheap way out.

You may not get the proper sized cage for $200. They need a certain size. That type of info can be had here. The rule of thumb---the bigger the better. Never smaller than necessary.

Not only do you need a vet available, it must be an Avian Vet. Regular vets don't deal with parrots and other birds. Avian Vets don't deal with the animals that reg. vets deal with. Without an Avian Vet available, a person and even more so the bird, is in lots of trouble. You'll never know when you need that vet. That also isn't something that's not up for debate.

It's good that you're scared. It's much worse if your father can't change his mind. If he can't, forget the bird. Only the bird will pay the price nd that price is high. It may result in the bird's death.

PS--one more thing I should have said. Not all greys talk and if they don't they can't be returned for refunds because it takes most grey about 8 to 12 mts before they talk. That umber varies a bit but it's still a long time and exchanges, warranties, guarantees will have long expired.

Edited by Dave007
  • Sad 1

First, I would like to say that you coming here and asking a question right away is not selfish at all--far from it. You are thinking about the well-being of a precious animal near and dear to all of our hearts here on this forum.

It does concern me that getting rid of air fresheners, fabreeze, teflon and certain cleaning products is being met with resistance. For me it was a very small sacrifice to make for the benefit of my parrot.

As mentioned earlier a little vinegar and water does great for cleaning. Stainless steel cooks as well as teflon and there are non-stick parrot safe products made now as well. Life with an African Grey is not really a great option for those who are looking to do things on the cheap. Healthy food, toys (I buy new toys every few weeks--greys get bored) , vet visits (avian vets), and a quality cage are all essentials--not something that are luxuries or "options".

Most Greys talk--some don't. No guarantees.

Do you live with your father? If so, will you be taking part in its care? If not, do you think your father is really fully informed and ready to take on this responsibility?

When I got my grey I did a lot of research and soul seraching. I knew that i had to be absolutely ready to make sacrifices and put my parrot's needs and wants before my comfort, convenience or amusement. My Grey didn't choose to live with me. I chose her destiny when I brought her into my life and she deserves my best. All greys deserve our very best.

I wish to strongly urge you to encourage your father to put the breaks on any decisions concerning getting a grey until he is fully informed and fully prepared to do what is necessary to provide a good life for a bird. Read as much as you can here in this forum and ask your father to do the same.

I am glad you have come here. I don't mean to seem critical of your father, but I have such a love and respect for African Greys (all birds in fact) that I need to speak honestly and frankly before any damage is done. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

Edited by JeffNOK
  • Sad 1