NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Multiple birds?

Guest HeatherVT

Guest HeatherVT

Is it better to have just one grey... or add more... I sometimes wonder if my guy would do better if there were more than one bird here - whether its a grey/amazon ... I know I could handle more I just never added because he's had his plucking issues..

Heather, when you say "do better", what do you think is missing or needs to be better? And how does plucking behaviour play into the equation?

I personally love having more than one grey, and generally see greys behave well with others. Right now, both Beaker and Gabi are bidding on my banana and attention. It's quite fun (at times). They will dance on their playstand wanting to join in on my one-on-one time with the other. It is quite an adventure to have two greys using me as a play gym, but it can be a bit much at times.

Be sure to understand the demands of two greys. It is more than double the work to have more than one. It is also double the financial impact - don't even think of sharing play stands, toys, etc. So again, ask yourself what you feel Bird is missing and how another grey might fill that void. I'd be interested in hearing more.

I know many others here that have multiples, including mixed-species. Hopefully they'll chime in with their opinions.

Edited by Spinner

Some people get 2nd and 3rd birds for various reasons. The most successful people have lots of experience handling and understanding different species of parrots. If a person gets a parrot especially one that's very young, the whole purpose to form a bond with that one bird. Success often happens. The majority of multiple bird owners usually came across those birds by adoption. Preowned birds are often the #2 or #3 birds. I have a feeling you're talking about getting a very young bird. as Dave says, the cost doubles including living quarters. Then there's personality---you'd have no idea whether your present bird and the new bird will get along. That makes owning that extra bird a bigger headache. It would be hard to cash in on your exchange or guarantee or warranty contract/policy because it takes a very long time to finally know that the 2 birds are incompatible. Much longer then the time alloted. Also, you say that your bird is a plucker. You would have no idea whether having that 2nd bird will make your bird intensify that plucking. Dave says it all """It is also double the financial impact - don't even think of sharing play stands, toys, etc."""

I have multiple pet greys. 2 were given to me because of very serious problems they had. Was my #1 grey happy when, one by one, they each entered the picture? Absolutely not. They've been together a long time and they only tolerate each other. Of course, I should say that all of this happened when all of them were adults. In a way that made the situation worse because #1 bird had my total attention for 10 yrs.

My opinion is *don't do it* but like I said, it's just my opinion.

I have three, a 4 1/2 year old TAG I have had since weaned; a 2 year old CAG I have had since weaned; and a 5 year old ZON I have had since he was 1 1/2 years old. I got them for me and only me. They tolerate each other and probably would be just as happy as an only parrot in the household. They are all different and are my companions. They give me something to do as I am retired, older and live alone. Unless you have the time for another grey/parrot, I would not get another parrot as a "friend" for my bored/lonely plucking parrot. I would try to find out why my current grey is plucking, that would be my goal and I would spend my extra time and money to try to correct its problem. This is my opinion as an owner of multiple parrots who do not particularly like each other but like me.

Edited by luvparrots

I also have a multi species parrot home and each parrot is their own. I did not bring any of my birds home to be a companion to another.

Do they like each other, who knows as they each do their own thing and with each parrot and me, its one on one. My parrots love their one on one time with me, my wife and son and not with each other.

They will put up with each other just to be around my wife, son and me.

I have a tag, cag, amazon, cockatiel and parakeets, not to mention 3 cats (1 is completely blind) 2 dogs and my daughter has 2 horses. I also am working full time as previously was vey part time, and hold 3 jobs total. ATTENTION is the hardest part individually to each.

When I come home, I let them all out of their cages, try to sit and watch a little tv to relax before I cook dinner, and most nights, they are so lonely from the day, I have2 dogs cuddles with me, a cat or two, and always 2 birds on me. It tells me how much they miss me...:( I always include them in everything I do when I am home and talk a lot to them hopefully to,make up for the time I am gone.

I wish I had MORE time to spend with that many birds, but I do the best I can and on the weekends, they are out all day, plus they get about an hour and a half each morning with me.

I have 2 greys, 2 macaws and an umbrella too. The macaws are the only ones who like each other. All but Bongo ( grey ) entered our life as a rescue, Bongo was caged as a show piece in a warehouse, but in good health, the others not so much. Our birds are for us and not each other and would more than likely rather be an only bird! There is no more me time. I wouldn't change anything about my fids and the direction in life they took us, but to say it is easy would be a lie. Many nights i have cried to my hubby because the day got away from me and i didn't get much one on one with them as they deserve. I am lucky that my husband has the same passion and love for them as i do. When my second guy was offered to us i thought, heck i am already cooking for bongo and cleaning up after him, one more won't make much difference. Huge difference, don't food yourself! So to sum it up, if you are doing this for your bird, don't. If you are doing this for yourself, go for it!

I have a 6 month old CAG and just rescued a 2 1/2 year old DYH Amazon this past weekend. I actually consider myself lucky in that his fit into the home seems to be progressing positively. My CAG is very affectionate and loves to cuddle. She would rather bury herself into your arms than play by herself - most of the time. So Kiwi (Amazon) has seen how much attention she gets and he wants the same. I would say my biggest obstacle is giving them both proper attention. I was ready for the double expenses, etc... but did not realize that the one on one time would be so much more. I dont mind it - just surprising. Also, Kiwi climbs everywhere and doesnt mind being on a flat surface so I really do need to keep an eye on him constantly. Luna loves having Kiwi while Kiwi tolerates her at best. Someone already said this, but I will confirm it. Any additional bird really is for you and not your current bird. I remember thinking that I wouldnt feel so guilty if I had to work late or leave early in the morning because their cages are two feet from each other and they keep each other company. I actually feel more guilty when that happens. They still need their time out of the cage and the one on one time no matter what their relationship is to each other. All that being said - I LOVE HAVING BOTH OF THEM :)

My 3 birds do not get along but tolerate each other as long as there is a little distance between them, sometimes that means there is one on each shoulder and one beside me on the couch, they are company for each other when no one is home but you get another bird only if YOU want another bird and not for the company it might provide for Bird. Oh and all the others gave excellent advice also.

I have 4 and most of the time I can put Brandi , Opey and DJ together on the java tree and they are fine , Rocky I do not trust with any of the other birds so he gets the tree to himself when he goes on it, I have 2 more playstands so their is enough to go around , I try to divide my attention so that everyone gets attention and DJ will only stay with me for about 20 minutes then he flys off to play some where same for Opey he will stay on your shoulder for awhile then he wants to go somewhere else , the only real demanding attention birds I have is Rocky and Brandi especially Rocky but it all works out and no one is neglected