NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PLEASE Help ME Out!!

SimplyGrey

My CAG doesn't eat many veggies, if anything, he will eat broccoli sometimes. He will eat a little more with fruit like grapes (favourite), blueberries, and sometimes apples. Everyday I make him up a mixture of grapes, blueberry and broccoli with a sprinkle of organic granola with hemp seed and pumpkin seed. He loves it!!! During the day he has his bowl of Lifetime granules made by Hagen and mix in some high quality of seeds and nuts made by Goldenfeast and fresh water daily. So now the question is, should I be adding multi-vitamins? There is a avian company called "Avitech" and they offer various kinds of vitamins to help with feather plunking, calcium deficiency and aggression issues and so on. I have noticed lately that my fella's tail feathers are a very dull red and he is also preening his feathers a lot, but I think he is going through a molt.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I also use a avian full spectrum lighting in the morning for about 4-5 hrs a day. Would adding multi-vitamins to his pellet dish or even sprinkle it over his grapes be helpful? I have also heard that certain types of oils such as flax, hemp, primrose and coconut help out.

I would appreciate what other CAG owners what their opinion is on this issue?? I'm not sure what way to go to help bring back the brightness in his feathers, as well as help in overall health. Thanks!

Edited by SimplyGrey

Please never give your parrot a supplement unless ordered by a avian vet. Eliminate the fruit except for a small piece each day, there is no nutrient value, and it flushes their system, they'll eat fruit instead of whats good for them. Red palm oil would help a lot. He really needs more Dark green leafy veggies, less fruit, no supplements. A vet check might be in order.....Thanks

Every bird is different but Timmy never has really never eaten anything but the bag Grey food seed mix from petsmart. He gets a couple grapes a day and a peanut here and then as a treat. I give him fresh spinach, mustard greens, collards, broccoli, corn, tomato, okra, etc from my garden and he picks around with it and most ends up on the ground haha! I dont know how much he eats of the human food but he is very healthy according to the vet, and he is def a happy family pet so I dont worry about it. I was very nervous and worried about every detail of Timmys food at first, but now I know his ways and If there is a problem I will notice it and handle it accordingly.

So now the question is, should I be adding multi-vitamins?

No.

My grey waste so much fresh food its not funny. The best way i have found to ensure she is getting a balanced diet is making bird bread using baby food for the moisture.

Thank you friends for all your replies. I guess the subject of whether or not to add a multi-vitamin is sensitive. I hear what everyone is saying by adding more green leafy veggies or even make birdie bread, BUT I have to say that I have tried exactly all of that and my boy won't have anything to do with it. He is very selective when it comes to eating. As I stated before, he will eat grapes, blueberries and granola until he is blue in the face! I know there is not enough nutrients support from eating that, but the other good food I offer him either goes to the floor or just rots in his food bowl.

I got a reply from kins2321 saying that you could help me personally. Are you a avian nutritionist or behaviour consultant?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I also use a avian full spectrum lighting in the morning for about 4-5 hrs a day. Would adding multi-vitamins to his pellet dish or even sprinkle it over his grapes be helpful? I have also heard that certain types of oils such as flax, hemp, primrose and coconut help out. I would appreciate what other CAG owners what their opinion is on this issue?? I'm not sure what way to go to help bring back the brightness in his feathers, as well as help in overall health. Thanks!

Afican greys mostly have calcium and vitamin D deficiency issues when taken to the avian vet for blood work. It's is great that you are using avian lighting to get the Vitamin D maintained which goes hand in hand with Calcium absorption. Calcium can come from eating dark green vegetables, a small piece of cheese, yogurt and of course chicken bones or egg shells crushed up and mixed in with scrambled eggs or mashes. The red tail feathers come from having plenty or Vitamin A in their system. In the wild this is from the Red Palm Fruit which they dine on daily as a main part of their diet in Africa. Since we cannot get these Palm Fruits in the US, we all use Red Palm Oil when making their mashes, birdy bird bread or just dripping a few drops over their pellets or veggies etc.

Avian Vets advise NOT to use supplements unless you have had a blood test done that truly identifies a deficiency. Otherwise you risk having calcium or vitamin levels gong too high which can adversely affect your grey or other parrots health. I would suggest cutting down on fruits and only give a very small quantity or maybe even only two or three times a week f your grey is filling up on them and then not eating other food groups.

Edited by danmcq

A cooked chicken drumstick bone has nutritious marrow loaded with Calcium, Phosphorus, Vitamin A and other excellent nutrition for your bird. Its a dense nutrient supplement in a food. Great stuff!

BYI Is there a reason why you are worried? I also add a little organic red palm oil to their beans and grains mixture. African Greys rely on palm fruit as a large part of their diet in the wild. With all the beans, grains, veggies, and fruit, I supplement with a nice nut like a walnut which is high in good oils. I don't overdo fruit, but the more colorful it is the more phytochemicals and antioxidants it has which help with immune defense and health. Fruit is not just sugary water.

Edited by chezron

No I am not worried! I just thought that maybe adding a vitamin would help to brighten up his tail feathers. He is somewhat of a picky eater and will only try different foods on rare occasions. He doesn't even like almonds or walnuts. He doesn't like birdie bread and hates chicken. He may eat a piece of cheese, depending on his mood and sometimes eat rice or pasta, but those foods are just carbs. He doesn't like baby food or nice warm birdie formula. He is who he is and that's OK. I just thought that since he is a very picky eater by adding a multi- vitamin would aid in what he is missing in his diet. He weight is good being at 416 grams and he is not sick. I know there are other Greys out there like him and wanted to hear others opinion. Thanks for your replies!

Have you ever considered making your own granola and adding pureed vegies or the red palm oil in the binder or even used some dehydrated/freeze dried vegies as part of the granola mixture. It is quite easy to make granola and doesn't take any special equipment or much time. By making your own you can choose healthier fats, leave out the salt, and play with the binder so that there is less sugar. Best of all you can eat the rejections until you get it right.

Even if he doesn't like chicken he might like the bones. My guys took to it very instinctually. Also, i find that my birds benefit health-wise from exposure to real sun when possible. Just 15 minutes a day when you can. It helps their mood and appearance of plumage, and who knows what all inside.

Yes, I do use a full spectrum bulb for my fella and he loves it. He actually sits as close as he can and shares at it. I have not tried to offer him a chicken bone, but will do so and see if he likes? I also have red palm oil and will start putting it on the foods he will eat. Thanks again!!