NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When did you realize your grey had your heart?

kitt4kaz

I think my time is now! We've had Felix since he was 10 weeks old. He will be 6 months old tomorrow. I've always really enjoyed him and love seeing what he learns on a day to day basis. But this week I've realized that I am 110% attached to him and couldn't imagine my day to day without him.

I'm constantly looking online for toys and new foraging tips for him. I got SO excited when I found out someone in our little town opened a specialty bird store recently. I can't wait to get home from work and see him. Anytime I am home, he is with me. I am showing people pictures of him on my phone almost as much as I do my own kids:rolleyes: When he makes a new noise, I can't wait to tell my husband about it.

I can't wait to see where our days together take us! He is such a joy to have with us!

047.jpg

063.jpg

With our male it was love at first sight. He was a baby sitting there fluffed up looking all majestic and he let me scratch his head. With our female it has taken about 5 years and now I feel that towards her. It has taken that long for her and I to come to a place where we both feel comfortable. She now gives me the best kisses and my heart bursts with love when she does that.

With Misty it was love at first sight. I got him from an elderly couple who said they could not give him the attention he needed. He was well looked after but a little lonely. Since he came home with me he burrowed his way into my heart in the best possible way and I would never be without him.

Steve n Misty

That is an interesting question. I certainly knew Gracie was my little girl when I first met her, but we had to get to know each other and bond over time. I think it really hit home how much I loved her after she was about 8 months old and I had a dream that I found her dead at the bottom of her cage. In my dream I was just broken to pieces. When I woke up I ran to uncover her cage and saw her sitting there happily ready to greet the day. I was so relieved I almost cried.

Twenty five years ago, I was in a pet store in Tulsa when I heard a cat yowling. I was thinking that all the birds would be in danger. As I finally found that lonely little cage tucked in the back, it was my first glimpse of an African Grey. He was silent, so was the cat. When I walked away and heard the cat again, I realized it was him. I turned back and said something to him and he puffed up and hissed just like a cat. I could not get him off my mind and wished I had been able to take him home. Years later when a group of three six week old chicks were available, one jumped right out into my arms and I was hooked. It was not meant to be but the day I saw Gilbert so scared and shaken, and he was quietly watching as I prepared his cage to bring him home, I knew I was in this one for the long term. On the way home, he flipped open the door of his cage and climbed out while I was driving in the dark of night. I was so scared and didn't know what to do. I pulled over and coaxed him to run back inside his cage and when he got in there I heard the first words from him in a quavering, uncertain voice "Gilbert okaaaay" and my heart was thoroughly and freely given and it has gotten better and better every day.

At the breeders when Dayo was about 9 weeks old, after he selected us as his parronts since we had been visiting the clutch from the time they were 6 weeks old 2 or 3 times a week. He would come running to us the minute we walked in the breeders door. It took a lot of control on our part not to take him home before he was weaned..... of course the breeder would not allow it anyway... :P

• 1 month later...

DEJavu - I have exactly the same issues. Mickey takes up most of my day, I dont like being away from im for long periods. If I do go shopping or on business, I cant wait to get back home, and he is the first place I go to when I walk in the door. I also talk to all my friends and family constantly, showing pictures and telling them of every new word he says or every funny thing he does. I sometimes see that they are getting a bit bored by my bird talking and I dont care. I simply look for somone else that wants to listen - lol. I knew he had my heart the morning I woke up and rushed to the cage to open him up and greet him, before greeting anyone else. I spend most of my time making toys for him or browsing the internet for things related to CAGS.

I had been looking for a Gray for over a year and a half. When I saw Brutus, I was impressed by how much bigger and sturdier he was next to his more diminutive counterparts. Unlike the numerous other times, when I offered my hand, he stepped right up and proceeded to make himself very comfortable- like he had found his home, and he had. I believe when he really started to grab more of my heart's real estate is when I was taking him home on the plane, and he stuck his beak out of the cage so I could comfort him. To this day he sticks his beak out when he wants contact and reassurance.

Sophie had my heart the moment I interviewed to adopt her at age two. It was love at first site for both of us. Ultimately, as many families interviewed to adopt her, more experienced ( I had none), Sophie's owner decided to interview me again. STILL couldn't answer any of his questions! Sophie was all over me, I had eyes only for Sophie. I interviewed poorly both times, since Sophie and I were carrying on back and forth! She and I are very bonded to this day. Nancy