NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question

I would like someone from the U.K. to ask all U.S. members here a question regarding a service they're providing in the U.K. and he isn't sure if something like that exists in the U.S. as well.

Here he comes:

Big warm hello to everyone, you are very lucky to find such a well run portal like greyforums. Unfortunately things aren't quite as efficient in the UK. Our admin team would like to thank FairY personally for giving us permission to write this post.

I am Co-Owner of the bird site: www.birdtrade.co.uk which offers free classifieds for the buying and selling of legitimate birds in the UK.

No doubt some of you have seen the horrific advertisements around the Internet for the wild-caught parrots mostly from Cameroon, Africa. Our site administers all adverts to stop these scammers. Additionally other bird for sale sites in the UK charge a lot of money through premium rate phone calls into classified ads, again our organisation do NOT do this and the service really is 100% Free.

Now I've hopefully explained where we are coming from, we would like to know if a good service such as this has already been setup for the birding communities in the USA? We are looking to expand our site to house a dedicated US section and wondered if this would be welcomed or whether you guys already have the services?

All your input and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The URL you posted does not. However, manually posting the URL in IE works. I found most the links for adverts on babies, parrots etc all go to blank pages.

There are a numrous amount of websites here in the states that are free pet sites for adverts already.

But, others here may have more comments or input.

I had no problem opening the link either. I believe there is always room for more sites on the internet in the US. People like to have as many options as possible. We were able to purchase locally, but ALOT of people don't have that option available to them. I have an aunt in Kansas with an African Grey and she had to use the internet to purchase her bird.

Valerie

"""""No doubt some of you have seen the horrific advertisements around the Internet for the wild-caught parrots mostly from Cameroon, Africa. Our site administers all adverts to stop these scammers.""""""

Even though the type of scammers you mentioned have been seen by people, the same people (potential customers) can't have any bird shipped from outside the US whether or not the seller is legitimite or a scammer. Since 1992,importation of parrots into the US is against the law and is strongly enforced with serious consequences.

In the UK, importation is still legal although efforts are being made to stop it. Until that happens, people in the UK can be tricked by scammers.

People can go to Canada from the US and purchase parrots but the sellers are registered with the RCDOA who are involved in all health issues and shipping back to the US and heavy quarantine is enforced both in Canada and in the US when the bird arrives. Total quarantine time is 60 days in Canada and apprx 90 days after a bird arrives in the US after a purchase has been made.

In the US, there's plenty of places to buy birds thru the internet. That includes pet birds, breeder birds and the sale of the complete contents of aviaries which are going out of business. 90% of these sales allow shipping from one location of the US to another US location. There are no organizations that control any of that because basically, that would be policing private business practice which is also against the law.

All of the sellers don't charge any fee to the customer because most advertising is free. Anyone who pays a fee to advertise will include that fee into the price of the bird.

We also have numerous rescue/adoption centers which sell birds for much less than the going price. Those places are dealing with pre owned birds, mostly adults. Many bird boards advocate buying pre owned birds as opposed to breeding more because the excess of parrots in the US which is why there are so many rescue services.

Expanding a service who is, besides everything else, dealing with international scamming into an area that doesn't have that problem would be difficult to do.

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/10/14 01:24<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/10/14 01:30

That is a VERY good point you brought up MrSpock. There is no importing of birds into the United States, so as long as people that are looking on the internet for a new bird know this there is a much smaller chance of foreign scamming...you just have to worry about the scum bags in the US, and I think they are all on CraigsList.

• 2 weeks later...

Craigslist does not allow you to sell animals, at all. You can give them away, but to ask for a price on them is forbidden. This is directly from their site: [ no pet sales or breeding please -- rehoming with small adoption fee OK ]. Craigslist is actually not bad for a lot of things. It's kind of like an online garage sale!