NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby grey Rosie

Redshaw13

Hi first post and after some moral support I guess.

Got my new baby grey Rosie today and its fare to say I'm tiered! I think she had a stressful trip here today so her welcome gift was a good bite that drew blood, I sucked it up and didn't make a fuss. However by this evening she was stepping up on my hand and had a few flights with crashes around the lounge.

I could only get her to eat apple and pomegranate so I'm a little worried about her going to sleep not full. Rosie looked tiered and was starting to roost so I put her cage cover on and all is quite so hopefully she's ok!

Think I did ok?

but I do feel a little stressed!:confused:

Cheers

Chris.

image.jpg

Hi first post and after some moral support I guess.

Got my new baby grey Rosie today and its fare to say I'm tiered! I think she had a stressful trip here today so her welcome gift was a good bite that drew blood, I sucked it up and didn't make a fuss. However by this evening she was stepping up on my hand and had a few flights with crashes around the lounge.

I could only get her to eat apple and pomegranate so I'm a little worried about her going to sleep not full. Rosie looked tiered and was starting to roost so I put her cage cover on and all is quite so hopefully she's ok!

Think I did ok?

but I do feel a little stressed!:confused:

Cheers

Chris.

It is important to be patient, gentle and considerate of your new grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver.

He may be cautious. He may be watchful. He will want to learn the lay of the land. He will need to adjust to other birds (if any) and other companion animals you may have. Because of careful early management by your thoughtfully chosen breeder, he will be inclined toward acceptance, but don't assume it. A bird is not a domesticated companion animal and his trust and love must be earned by all who wish to have a satisfactory relationship with him.

The adjustment period should last about three weeks. Be patient. Don't rush him. He doesn't know how loved he is and how anxiously awaited he was. Hold down the excitement. Be calm. Allow him time. Let him explore the cage and become familiar with it. The toys will be new and exciting and he will want to check them out.

Remember he is just a baby and will need more sleep and more food than an adult bird. If you have a sleep cage, use it so he will have undisturbed sleep. Give him all the food he will eat. He will not get fat. He has weight to put back on after weaning. He should have food available at all times.Don't invite the family or neighbors over to see him just yet. Let him come to know you. Be careful to avoid accidents - take your time. Try not to let any "bad" things happen. Once he knows and trusts you, he will be able to accept an accident as just that. Hold him securely. Don't let him fall or be off balance when on your hand or knee. No earthquakes! Don't push him into accepting intimate petting until he is ready.A parrot should be acclimated into the whole family. Allow the least amount of opportunities that will let any parrot become a one-person bird. The whole family has to be involved with the bird in all areas--feeding, treat giving, cage cleaning, adding toys and handfeeding certain types of food.

Your grey should be in an area where your average daily constant habits, conversations, household chores, relaxation and guests are nearby. Putting any species of parrot in another room with no human contact or visuals accomplishes nothing. The bird has to learn to accept all different things and the owner needs to help that parrot do all of these things by putting the bird into the mix of things.

Your grey needs a decent sized cage and eventually he/she will have to be let out of the cage every day for as much time as you can afford. Putting a playstand nearby helps a lot. The cage needs the type of toys that can handled roughly. A lot of scrap pieces of wood are necessary for chewing and destroying. It's either the wood or your furniture. The reason for this is really simple......The animal is a grey and they like to chew!!!!

When you bring your grey home, although the temptation is great, it's not a good idea to be handling him a lot until he/she feels good about that new cage and it's contents. Everything else ahead of the bird is also going to be new and learning about them in a relaxed state is best accomplished from the security of it's own cage and no time limits should be placed on any parrot when anything should be accomplished. All greys are different from each other.

It's a bad idea to allow your parrot on your shoulders because they have a bad habit of biting necks, ear lobes, nape and head hair, breaking jewelry and sometimes biting the face. Not all do but it's a habit that should be avoided. You never can tell what's going to happen to you when you can't see the bird up there. Many people differ about the shoulder thing. I'd rather say that it's better to be safe than sorry.

She is precious! Welcome Chris and Rosie. Dave gives great advice. You can never be totally prepared for the adventure you have just begun. Relax, take your time and read everything you can here on the forum!! So many real life stories and factual information. It will keep you busy! :o

welcome, I'm pretty new on here, my Alfie is 9 months old and his great but I have many ups and downs, this site has become a very good support network, I'v been through the worry of lack of eatting and even now we still have days I worry he hasn't eatten enough veg stuff, he has mastered the art of avoiding me getting him back in his cage this is our latest problem and seems like its been a life time but just like other problems or worries we get through all the advice on here is so good and the key seems to be slow down dont rush and be patient, I used to just sit next to alfies cage and talk to him, it didn't take him long to settle he now begs for me to open his cage and its like his glued to me most of the time, enjoy every moment.