NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How much does your TAG weigh?

jbsmomto1

Storm is 325G at 1 week shy of 5 months. Is that a good weight? Last evening he started eating everything in sight...he ate pretty good before that but he seems to be packing it away. Last Tuesday when I brought him home he weighed 316G so he is gaining well. After holding Storm than Echo, it feels like Echo must be starving to death he just seems so light and little and he is little but I never realize just how little he was, he packs a lot of attitude in his 124G lol.

Storm is 325G at 1 week shy of 5 months. Is that a good weight? Last evening he started eating everything in sight...he ate pretty good before that but he seems to be packing it away. Last Tuesday when I brought him home he weighed 316G so he is gaining well. After holding Storm than Echo, it feels like Echo must be starving to death he just seems so light and little and he is little but I never realize just how little he was, he packs a lot of attitude in his 124G lol.

325 is a good average weight. He'll probably lose a few gms as he gets older and more active.

My TAG is 5 months old and weighed in at 287g this morning. We got him at 10 weeks and he weighed around 305g but once he started flying a few weeks after that his weight has ranged from 285g to 295g depending on the day. He is a very picky eater though. I am currently trying to covert him from Zupreem Fruitblend to Roudybush or Harrisons and it isn't going so well so I am watching his weight closely.

Your baby sounds very healthy!

Chico went to vet today, 18 mos old and he is 150 grams. He is on Zupreem and Pretty bird diet.

I think you should have chico weighed again. There was probably a mistake made. If a vet saw that a TAG weighed 150gms, he would immediately see that something was wrong with the bird and would tell the owner. A TAG's minimum weight is about 235 gms which makes the bird very tiny. The maximum weight is between 315 to 325 gms which makes the bird an average to slightly larger bird.

PS---I just saw a picture of Chico that you posted in another area that you put it in. A TAG has a straw colored upper beak. I don't see that color in the photo. A CAG's upper and lower beak is black.

He seems to looks like a CAG and as far as weight goes, A very small CAG is about 385 gms up to 550GMs which is a very large CAG.

TAG means Timneh African Grey

CAG means Congo African Grey

Edited by Dave007

Now if I can convince my husband! He keeps trying to "fatten him up." I feel like the food police ;)

Fortunately, you won't be able to fatten him. That's his natural weight and if the vet gave you the size description of your TAG, then that's the permanent weight. Your bird is at a very healthy weight.

I just saw this response to my Chico's weight. Chico is a CAG not timneh. I am going to call the vet tomorrow as I am now anxious and want to know his weight. Chico is not heavy by no means but I don't think he is underweight either. Maybe now that he steps up on my hand I can get a picture tomorrow and post so you can all see and tell me your thoughts. Thanks.