NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Food in the water bowl

ubecrew610

I used to have to change my CAG's water two maybe three times a day, well now i have to change it around 10 times. the minute i walk away she starts to catty her food across her perch and place it in the water, i dont change it right away, because i don't want her to think she is playing a game but in about 30 minutes later i change it. what can i do to stop her, should i move her middle perch so she has to climb her cage to get from one side to another instead of just walking acrossed. Any help would be great.

Thats one idea, my grey's water bowl is on the opposite side of the cage from her food bowl so this is not much of a problem. Another idea is to get one of those water bottles that you hang on the side of the cage and they drink from the end of it, I think one of the is called the Lixit. Of course some owners have trouble with them putting food in it and making it run all the water out. Maybe you could try distracting her when she starts doing this.

I have the water bottle for my grey and he seems to love it. I love it too because I don't have Grey soup in the water bowl. I switched to the bottle because my grey would not stop digging in the bedding at the bottom of the cage and within 10 minutes the water bowl would be full of woodchips. I'm pretty sure I have the Lixit brand, but any glass bottle would do for a grey as long as it is large enough.

I agree with the suggestions to place the containers in different places. Might I add I got hooded cover bowls and place the food at the bottom because Tui likes to eat up high.

The hoods stop her using her feet to throw the food around and because she requires effort to move the food to a higher stand she actually eats it rather than throws it around. The water bowl is up high on the other side of the cage which prevents alot of bathing spillage onto the food

Guest briansmum

the only time i find pellets in the water is first thing on a morning.. he must get bored waiting to get up! LOL

all good suggestions here, like you said i'd try removing the perch between the food and the water so she's have to climb with the food to dunk it. that could put her off.. if not a water bottle sounds like i good idea

aww I agree with lovemygreys... most parrots Ive met dunk thier food. My grey LOVES her pellets like that! Its sort of like someone telling you that you arent allowed to have milk with your cereal. i would just suggest putting a second water bowl.. one near the food and one on the other side of the cage.<br><br>Post edited by: LunaBaby, at: 2007/10/12 03:28

One suggestion would be to get a water bowl on the opposite side of the cage...most likely they wouldn't walk from one side of the cage to another just to put food in there....One of my Greys does this, and my other Grey is on a bottle. Actually all my birds but my newest Grey are on a bottle so I don't deal with soup very often!

Another idea might be to give him/her moist foods like fruits veggies, and other mush mixes and such!