NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the forums - My first grey!!!!

spjchick

My name is Kelleigh and I am a full time student working on my graduate degree in social work at UMSL here in St. Louis, MO. I have three birds, one quaker, one peach front and in december I will have my first african grey. I am familiar with the breed and have done a lot of research. Plus I know a few things about parrots in general since I already have two. I am looking forward to sharing and getting to know you all. Please feel free to look me up on facebook. Also, I am going to document my birds life on a blog. It is at pippinthegrey.blogspot.com/. I plan on starting a youtube channel to share his antics and whatever a brilliant bird does.

Sincerely,

Kelleigh Lonidier

Hi Kelleigh and welcome to the grey forum.

No mater how much planning you do or research, When a grey comes into your life you can expect anything to happen.

Yes, I know...well really I don't know yet, I just can only try my hardest. I'm looking forward to the journey.

Hello Kelleigh and welcome to our family.

So glad to hear you have done your homework on being owned by an african grey for you will find they are different from your other two birds. No two greys are exactly alike so like Ray said you can expect most anything to happen but they are awesome creatures and you are embarking on the journey of a lifetime so get ready for the ride of your life.

Hi Kelleigh ! Congrats on getting your new baby. The babies can be a challenge getting them weaned and getting them successfully through the first year. I thought I also wanted a female CAG myself, but they too have hormone issues just like the males and you might even wake up to seeing your female sitting on an egg one day!! Hopefully your new baby will already be weaned and sampling pellets, veggies and fruits. How old will your CAG be when you get her? December 6 is just next week. Do you have everything you need? I know you must be very excited, but it also is a very delicate time for your baby. I wish you best of luck! And remember, keep asking those questions and When you post some pics when you get a chance :)

Hey Kelleigh and welcome to you and your flock! I totally did the same thing I made Marco a webpage cuz I just got tired of posting pictures everywhere and mailing them to my mom etc etc. it was just easier to make a website and teach her how to get there for the updates :D great idea ;) and I must have over 100 vids of Marco on youtube as well cant wait to see your new baby!

Pippin flew today from Tampa, Florida to St. Louis, MO. She seemed pretty scared. All she would do is growl and scream (I think it sounds like the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings). Anyway, I was concerned about sticking my fingers in the carrier; so I put her carrier in her cage and opened the door to the carrier so she can come out whenever she feels like it. I figured that the carrier might feel more like a safe place, and she was tired. She could barely keep her eyes open. here's a quick video of her growling and screaming.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev9Dfvd6GmI&feature=plcp

quick update- Maybe someone has some good advice.

We are now on day 2 of pippins arrival. She has seen the avian vet, and is exploring her cage and the area around her cage she spends time on the wiindow sill (we have marble window sills that are quite wide) and she is finally eating a decent amount of food (not as much as I'd like though)

It's just that she growls whenever I come near. She also does this little scream (not too loud) that sounds like the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings. I am trying to give her her space and time to feel comfortable. I talk softly to her and move slowly around her. I tried cooing and makiing calming sounds that seem to work, they end her screams at least. I know if I offered her a treat she'd be so freaked out that I'm near her that she'd drop it. What can I do to help her begin to trust me?. She needs more time I know, but I want to do everything to make this as easy as possible on her.

quick update- Maybe someone has some good advice.

We are now on day 2 of pippins arrival. She has seen the avian vet, and is exploring her cage and the area around her cage she spends time on the wiindow sill (we have marble window sills that are quite wide) and she is finally eating a decent amount of food (not as much as I'd like though)

It's just that she growls whenever I come near. She also does this little scream (not too loud) that sounds like the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings. I am trying to give her her space and time to feel comfortable. I talk softly to her and move slowly around her. I tried cooing and makiing calming sounds that seem to work, they end her screams at least. I know if I offered her a treat she'd be so freaked out that I'm near her that she'd drop it. What can I do to help her begin to trust me?. She needs more time I know, but I want to do everything to make this as easy as possible on her.

IMO ... you are doing everything right so far. Giving her space and time and respecting her growls and warnings. Thats all you can really do. Its only been 2 days. This could take days, weeks even months for her to adjust and feel safe and secure. I say, continue to talk softly to her about everything and anything. See if you can get her to play the whistle game with you or mimic her whistles (when or if she does them) Alot of time they say if your fid sees you playing with something they will become inquisitive and have to have it too so you might show her "toys" or treats then keep it to yourself and see if that sparks her interest to see "whatcha got" :D Relax and enjoy having your new baby home and follow her lead!