NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new Hahn's Macaw

Odin's mom

Thursday we drove an 8 hour round trip to pick up our new fid, Salty. He is about 5 yrs old and is a cute little thing... but man, is his beak sharp lol. I asked him to step up when I first met him and he did and grabbed right hold of my hand.

He been doing good here but Ive been having him step up on a stick for now. Tonight he hung out on a perch in the kitchen while I made chop. He says step up and I think come here

Salty

IMG_3086.jpg

My bite

IMG_3057.jpg

Odin stuck one of his nails right in one of the holes today, that kinda hurt

I thought Timber's beak was razorlike as well when I brought him home, probably because he was determined to sharpen it on my hand. When I took him to the vet for a check the next day I asked about the beak and why it was so sharp and got the "are you nuts?" look. She said it was normal. Ha.

I got my first bite from Odin friday, just a couple inches from Salty's bite, but nowhere near the damage... My husband vet wrapped is kitchen perch and he didn't like it and didn't want to sit on it, and was a little tweaked that I had asked him to so when I reached up to get him to step up off my shoulder later he nailed me.

This thursday my husband is going to pick up Salty's cage and his "brother", Greenie, a 9 yr old male Eclectus. Greenie is a sweet bird, I'm excited to get him here. Their mom decided to rehome them because they weren't getting the attention they deserved and she didn't see the situation getting any better, so she made the best decision for the birds.

a couple pics from last night

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3091-1.jpg

He bit his old mom in the face the day she got him, but never bit after that, although she was always wary and handled him with a stick if he was grumpy and didnt let him on her shoulder but her husband would carry him around on his shoulder and never had a problem with him. So hopefully I got my new home bite and he'll be ok, but I'm taking it slow and easy with him

That does look like a sharp beak! Coconut shells and wooden toys will help dull it some in a natural way. I had that with one of mine and someone on here suggested that to me and it really helped. Those macaws do give a mean bite, and they nip when they play. Salty is so beautiful, you guys are so lucky to have found each other!

They are busy beautiful and can be the original angry birds. We have 4 of them at the Sanctuary 2 are gorgeous and 2 are naked except one that has a unibrow. Someone had taught at least one of the to say "Crusher destroyer" very appropriate. I have to wrap my hand and arm just to change their cage paper. Little stinkers enjoy the bite very much. So much personality I know you will enjoy life with Salty.

He seems to be doing good, he likes being around us, he calls when I leave the room. The birds had been moved to the shop at their old home since the couple both worked from home and the husband got sick of the noise while he was on the phone, so they haven't been in the day to day activities of a house for awhile but he seems to like us being around. I dont have any problem with him trying to bite me when handing him treats or reaching past him to get dishes.