NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PTfE tape and birds

monkey

Hello guys.

I recently joined this forum and posted in the Memorial section after losing a 6 month old Grey. I am awaiting his necropsy results.

I did SO much research on Greys before I bought one, months and months of reading articles, lists, forums, books I was super careful. I threw out my smellies, stopped wearing perfume, stopped using air fresheners, even the tumble drier. I knew how dangerous Teflon is to birds, and I thought I knew every appliance Teflon was hidden in, until today.

My sweet bird Elwood passed away. I won't go into it again as I've posted in the Memorials, but I have been racking my brain as to what I did wrong.

I live in the UK, and it's just turned cold enough to warrant using my heating. My place is heated using radiators. Last year I had a new radiator installed, and my desk is situated right next to this radiator. Elwood was out, he'd had breakfast, he flew to me, played, had headrubs then died. No warning. It was very fast and I am devastated.

The radiator had been on prior to him being out, so it was in the cooldown stage.

At 1st I wondered if radiators were covered in a paint that could be toxic to birds, but after some research I've found they're powder coated, much like bird cages.

Then I found out after lots of searching, that plumbers primarily use PTFE Tape (aka Teflon Tape) on valves, pipes, and connectors.

I understand Teflon is only apparently a danger when it's heated to a very high level, OR if it's damaged in any way but as it's invisible and impossible for us to detect, how will I ever know?

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Could this tape be to blame?

They use the tape much like a putty, to seal pipes.

Any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks.

I think the first thing you should do is wait for the test results to come back so you will know for sure.

You may have done nothing wrong and this could happened no mater what.

Teflon tape is used by plumbers in the US also.

I am not going into the operation of steam boilers or hot water boilers at this time because you don`t know what he died from, but the Teflon tape is unlikely.

I know what you're saying Ray and I am awaiting the results, but in the meantime it's human nature to look for possible causes. Also I'd like to know for the future whether or not it can pose a risk :)

A radiator is a heater, the pipes and valves around it are sealed with PTFE.

Hello guys.

I recently joined this forum and posted in the Memorial section after losing a 6 month old Grey. I am awaiting his necropsy results.

I did SO much research on Greys before I bought one, months and months of reading articles, lists, forums, books I was super careful. I threw out my smellies, stopped wearing perfume, stopped using air fresheners, even the tumble drier. I knew how dangerous Teflon is to birds, and I thought I knew every appliance Teflon was hidden in, until today.

My sweet bird Elwood passed away. I won't go into it again as I've posted in the Memorials, but I have been racking my brain as to what I did wrong.

I live in the UK, and it's just turned cold enough to warrant using my heating. My place is heated using radiators. Last year I had a new radiator installed, and my desk is situated right next to this radiator. Elwood was out, he'd had breakfast, he flew to me, played, had headrubs then died. No warning. It was very fast and I am devastated.

The radiator had been on prior to him being out, so it was in the cooldown stage.

At 1st I wondered if radiators were covered in a paint that could be toxic to birds, but after some research I've found they're powder coated, much like bird cages.

Then I found out after lots of searching, that plumbers primarily use PTFE Tape (aka Teflon Tape) on valves, pipes, and connectors.

I understand Teflon is only apparently a danger when it's heated to a very high level, OR if it's damaged in any way but as it's invisible and impossible for us to detect, how will I ever know?

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Could this tape be to blame?

They use the tape much like a putty, to seal pipes.

Any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm very sorry that you had to go thru this. I can't tell you what actually happened other than to say that perfectly healthy birds sometimes die for no reason at all. This also applies to other animals. Many times, vets can't really tell what happened because it has to do with unknown organ failure.

Teflon poisoning can only occur through inhalation. The chemical needs to be heated over a certain temperature and gasses occur and spread thru the air. Many other items that contain teflon don't need to be discarded if they aren't used for cooking, heating. Plus a bird won't eat teflon tape or teflon glues and the type you're talking about was already far away from your bird. Even broken teflon won't cause problems.

Some of the other things you mention here won't cause problems either. At it's worst cold temperatures serious colds or coughs could occur but those illnesses would need to work their way into a bird's organs in order to kill the bird. Those illnesses would be visible for weeks and weeks before any serious damage was done. Usually when people start seeing those things they go to a vet quickly.

According to what you describe It sounds like your bird was happy to the very end. Maybe it was a heart attack. It's hard to say but if it was heart trouble, there wouldn't be anything you could do. It also would cause instant death.

As far as cold weather, greys and other animals can put up with temperature exrtremes. It wouldn't cause instant death.

I know tht you feel terrible but unfortunately, these things can happen to animals. This type of thing happens frequently to wild birds in the woods. Sadly, all the reading material that's available can't cover unknown death. The same thing applies to human babies---Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Edited by Dave007