NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi!

Hi everyone, I'm Lucy. I'm a stay at home mom of a 19 month old daughter. I live near Portland, OR and just purchased a 7 yr old CAG named Odin, had him a week tonight. I had been wanting a parrot for a long time (and my husband has wanted a Grey), growing up my mom raised canaries for a few years and we always had birds, finches, parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds, Indian Ringnecks, Rosellas, and mom had a Nanday Conure that had been abused, the bond they had was amazing.

I've been researching Greys for months and started looking for one to bring home at the beginning of Sept. but it's been worth the wait. Odin is such a good bird, the first morning home, I opened his cage and he came right out, a couple hours later he flew over to the couch to hang out with me. On the second day I could give scritches and pet down his back. He hasn't attempted to bite, he's grabbed my finger a few times but doesn't put any pressure on. He definitely picked me for his person but he will step up for my husband and this morning he was able to give him scritches.

We are Odin's 3rd home, he was born in an aviary owed by an elderly lady. The family we got him from, got him when he and 4 other Greys were rescued from the aviary, there were a bunch of dead birds. He's missing one toenail and the nail beside that toe grows straight out. But he's adjusted so well into our home.

So far he's said hello, youhoo (usually when we're out of the livingroom) I love you, Odin, come here, and a bunch of things I haven't caught yet. he sings the lalalala from Elmo's world song, he has all sorts of whistles and sounds. At his last home he got the neighbor in trouble with another neighbor, she thought the other neighbor was wolf whistling at her :D

pic from his ad- they took him outside a few times, I'm going to get a harness before I take him out, not taking any chances

2675371000054918059dcmxSl_th.jpg

2610486530054918059GItrcj_th.jpg

breakfast time

2372861090054918059TUQAjg_th.jpg

Hi everyone' date=' I'm Lucy. I'm a stay at home mom of a 19 month old daughter. I live near Portland, OR and just purchased a 7 yr old CAG named Odin, had him a week tonight. I had been wanting a parrot for a long time (and my husband has wanted a Grey), growing up my mom raised canaries for a few years and we always had birds, finches, parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds, Indian Ringnecks, Rosellas, and mom had a Nanday Conure that had been abused, the bond they had was amazing.

I've been researching Greys for months and started looking for one to bring home at the beginning of Sept. but it's been worth the wait. Odin is such a good bird, the first morning home, I opened his cage and he came right out, a couple hours later he flew over to the couch to hang out with me. On the second day I could give scritches and pet down his back. He hasn't attempted to bite, he's grabbed my finger a few times but doesn't put any pressure on. He definitely picked me for his person but he will step up for my husband and this morning he was able to give him scritches.

We are Odin's 3rd home, he was born in an aviary owed by an elderly lady. The family we got him from, got him when he and 4 other Greys were rescued from the aviary, there were a bunch of dead birds. He's missing one toenail and the nail beside that toe grows straight out. But he's adjusted so well into our home.

So far he's said hello, youhoo (usually when we're out of the livingroom) I love you, Odin, come here, and a bunch of things I haven't caught yet. he sings the lalalala from Elmo's world song, he has all sorts of whistles and sounds. At his last home he got the neighbor in trouble with another neighbor, she thought the other neighbor was wolf whistling at her :D

pic from his ad- they took him outside a few times, I'm going to get a harness before I take him out, not taking any chances

[img']http://thumb19.webshots.net/t/96/196/3/71/0/2675371000054918059dcmxSl_th.jpg[/img]

2610486530054918059GItrcj_th.jpg

breakfast time

2372861090054918059TUQAjg_th.jpg

Hi, welcome to our perch. As far as that harness you're thinking about--the best one to get is an item called AVIATOR FLIGHT HARNESS. It serves as a regular harness and also allows you to let the bird fly around outside without escaping. Hundreds of people use them. Regular harnesses are pretty heavy and only allow a short amount of distance ( approx 7 ft.) Basicaly, those harnesses will only allow you carry the bird on the shouler or allow him to walk on the ground like a dog.

Look up AVIATOR FLIGHT HARNESS on your PC. Loads of places sell them. They're more expensive that regular harnesses but they are versitle made for a great training aid. There's even videos showing how they work.

Thanks for the welcome...

I'm surprised at how quickly he's settled in. He's not shy at all... he likes to steal food off plates. My daughter and I were eating lunch on the couch a couple days ago and he climbed down the back and walked across and stole a piece of her pizza, it was the first time he had purposely gotten near her

Hi, welcome to our perch. As far as that harness you're thinking about--the best one to get is an item called AVIATOR FLIGHT HARNESS. It serves as a regular harness and also allows you to let the bird fly around outside without escaping. Hundreds of people use them. Regular harnesses are pretty heavy and only allow a short amount of distance ( approx 7 ft.) Basicaly, those harnesses will only allow you carry the bird on the shouler or allow him to walk on the ground like a dog.

Look up AVIATOR FLIGHT HARNESS on your PC. Loads of places sell them. They're more expensive that regular harnesses but they are versitle made for a great training aid. There's even videos showing how they work.

Yup, Aviator it is... just trying to decide if I want the red to match his tail or the silver to blend in lol Probably going to order one tomorrow.

hiya and welcome :D Odin sounds like a great new addition to your family! I have a flight harness for Marco and I bought like an extention so she can fly further distances. but I find typically she doesnt "fly" unless an upward thrust of my hand otherwise she just likes to hang out with me in the sunshine outside. tho, she has been spooked once outside by a noise and Im SO thankful she had her harness on! I got the red so it was easily seen!