NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Which pellets does everyones Greys prefer most?

Miffy

Today I bought my guy a bag of Hagen Lifetime Granules and a bag of PrettyBird Gold. When I offered them to my grey, he loved the mixture! I previously was feeding him either Roudybush or TOPS and he was not fussy on either of those. I have heard that Harrison's is a great pellet, but my fella won't even look at it. I know that every bird is different, but for my grey, he seems to go for the nice aroma smell, and Hagen's does smell yummy!

Hagen Tropican Lifetime Parrot Sticks Bird Food Pellets is what I feed my non grey :) but darn do they smell good! he however much prefers his food fresh........ I put the pellets and Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Bird Food in his cage daily but it just sits there lol! at this rate his bags of food are going to last for years!

Nutri-berries and always fresh available. My bird loves peppers, hot peppers of different kinds, blueberries, sweet potato, noodles, eggs, grapes, sprouts all kinds of veggies. Does not like any citrus, banana or strawberry He also loves waffles, fresh waffles:)

I have to vary it daily, he seems to get tired of the same thing. Loves almonds, will kill for peanuts, and hates walnuts.

• 1 month later...

I have a 4 year old Grey named Gracie an having a horrible time with her feathers. Her belly is almost bare but has new ones coming in. I cook for her and Bob my 8 year old grey so they get veggies and seeds with calcium on them plus pure apple cider vinegar in the am water. Help. some say red palm oil.

I recently visited a very reputable avian vet in the area for Piper's first wellness exam. When she initially came home she was eating pellets as well as the seed/fruit&nut mixture, but shortly afterward she totally stopped eating the pellets (the oven bake ones). When Dr.Stahl asked what we were feeding her, I told him about the mixture and fresh veggies and a little of whatever we are eating that day. He went on to tell me that seed/fruit vs pellets are a huge conversation in the bird community these days, and that he strongly recommends switching her over to pellets 100% and using the mixture as an occasional treat and for the transition period. He said that on a dried nut/fruit/seed died, Piper will more than likely have severe nutritional deficiencies later in age and that she will look much older than she is.

To do the transition, he said to leave the pellets (higgins high potency) out all day, and three times a day at breakfast/lunch/dinner give her the seed mixture that she was previously eating for only 30 minutes. Over 5 days, slowly decrease how many times you give her the seeds. When we first started, Piper did not touch her higgins at all.... she was completely against it and rather upset with the sudden change. However, by day 4 she was completely transitioned and now she loves her higgins.

Good luck!

I have a 4 year old Grey named Gracie an having a horrible time with her feathers. Her belly is almost bare but has new ones coming in. I cook for her and Bob my 8 year old grey so they get veggies and seeds with calcium on them plus pure apple cider vinegar in the am water. Help. some say red palm oil.

Spray your baby with aloe vera juice, available at Walmart etc, 3 times a week. Red palm oil is Great.A Grey need s 15 minutes a day[minimum] of natural sunlight or 4 hres of indoor full spectrum UVB lighting this is the only way they get VIT D3......

I recently visited a very reputable avian vet in the area for Piper's first wellness exam. When she initially came home she was eating pellets as well as the seed/fruit&nut mixture, but shortly afterward she totally stopped eating the pellets (the oven bake ones). When Dr.Stahl asked what we were feeding her, I told him about the mixture and fresh veggies and a little of whatever we are eating that day. He went on to tell me that seed/fruit vs pellets are a huge conversation in the bird community these days, and that he strongly recommends switching her over to pellets 100% and using the mixture as an occasional treat and for the transition period. He said that on a dried nut/fruit/seed died, Piper will more than likely have severe nutritional deficiencies later in age and that she will look much older than she is.

To do the transition, he said to leave the pellets (higgins high potency) out all day, and three times a day at breakfast/lunch/dinner give her the seed mixture that she was previously eating for only 30 minutes. Over 5 days, slowly decrease how many times you give her the seeds. When we first started, Piper did not touch her higgins at all.... she was completely against it and rather upset with the sudden change. However, by day 4 she was completely transitioned and now she loves her higgins.

Good luck!

Pellets are man made, most are chemical based with corn being there main ingredient, in most cases they are completely artifical. Most Grey forum members don't rely on pellets but do the opposite of what your Dr recommends. There still trying to find Pellet trees in the Congo to no avail. [joke] What they do find is Greens, orange veggies, seeds, red palm oil, fruits and nuts grains, riverbank mud, etc. A good diet would be : seeds,less sunflowers,pellets 24/7/365, green veggies, orange veggie, legumes,nuts, pasta and rice[grains] Red palm oil, fruits etc. Nuts alone provide EFA's [Essential fatty Acids] Omega 3 etc, Beans and rice make a whole protein. Each of these food balance each other providing what is truly necessary for our fids to have a healthy mental and physical life. There are hundreds of great thread on this forum, please check them out.

Jellybean does not touch pellets. I have Nutri-berries, nuts, dried fruit, sun flower ( oh my, he will kill for those) seeds once a day and fresh at least twice a day. Dark veggies, beans, blueberries, peppers, what ever else. Mostly what I am eating also. Pasta and grapes, apples, pears... I try more veggies than fruits. Sweet potatoes etc. I always offer the pellets and he just does not touch them. I am still looking for that pellet tree also....

I do a routine in the morning for myself; 2 cups of coffee, then a shake that includes garlic, banana, orange and what else is in season. That is my breakfast. Jellybean learned that when I fix my shake I also fix his breakfast with the above mentioned items. Not mine but his. He flies over to the kitchen counter and munches on some seed until I have his bowl ready.

I have wondered if I am doing something wrong by not encouraging the pellets more? I want to listen to mother nature and I am really wary of the pellets. Please advise....

You always post such useful questions. Pellets are not necessary for a healthy parrot, a lot of the members treat them as a snack or treat. Your diet sound very good, sweet potatos are extremely good as is carrots, dark greens leafy are number 1, don't forget legumes and rice/grains which are a complete protein..... If I may say so, very little fruit is needed by our parrots, it has no nutritional value, it fills them where they'll eat less of what they need and it causes their poop to be runny, it dos not sustain them.