NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Broken blood feather.

Wingy

I am birdie sitting DS's Quaker for the next week. Isabelle was here all of 2 hours before she broke a blood feather. I didn't want to get her to excited and make the bleeding worse so a call to her Daddy for help was in order. Thankfully DS was using tonight to get things together and I was able to call him for help. What are the best fresh foods to feed her to give her while her little body builds its blood supply back up?

Thanks Wingy, Dave is a true Quaker expert, my opinion, if there wasn't to much blood loss and the baby is doing ok, I would just continue with her regular diet, if you wish you might want to give a little Powerade Zero [no sugar] for electrolytes, that's what we give our fids.[we feel it's better than Pedialyte] Doing a good job mama. Thanks Jay

Thanks Jayd. She lost more blood than I would like. There were a few big drops in her cage, on a towel and maybe 4 or 5 on my shirt plus what landed on her. She is such a tiny thing and doesn't weigh much so any blood loss is frightening. Thank goodness it happened when she wasn't alone.

I used corn starch instead. It helped determine that it was indeed a wing feather on the underside and not cut a on the body. I've gotten up and checked on her a few times tonight. She is resting well and is relaxed.

If Isabelle is healthy & eating a good diet, she should recover pretty quickly as long as she's kept hydrated. You might beef up the protein in her diet this week, too. Give her some marrow bone. If she won't eat it on her own, scoop out the marrow & mix w/maybe applesauce or something.

Quakers are scrappy, even by parrot standards. Hopefully Isabelle will be back to her old self very soon.

• 3 months later...

That is something I have not experienced yet and it scares the beejeebers out of me wondering what I would do. Did you get the bleeding to stop with the cornstarch or did you have to remove the feather? It sounds like you have it under control and I'm glad she is doing okay. It sounds like she just takes it in stride, she must be picking up your calm competence.