NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My stars....

Sachi

Well, I think I may have mentioned before that Banner was (informally) identified as a male by 3 members of the staff at the Golden Cockatoo where we got him. They all guessed male on their own accord, without talking to each other - one has 3 amazon parrots at home and the other two staff members have been working at the store for years. His hatchmate (who was purchased right after weaning) was a DNA'd female and much smaller...and the fact that he was chatting at such a young age had them all thinking that he's a male.

DNA results are in, and....we have a GIRL!!!!

Goes to show you that no matter what the "typical" behaviors/size of a parrot are...you never know (unless sexually dimorphic, of course)!

It's too funny, because this morning as I was talking to Banner, I got real close and saw his (now her!) eyelashes and thought...how feminine looking - wouldn't it be funny if he turned out to be a girl?

We're keeping the name....she's still Banner!

Here are some more photos:

1W6A0648-L.jpg

1W6A0666-L.jpg

1W6A0638-L.jpg

1W6A0628-L.jpg

For about 15 yrs, we were all convinced Phenix was female. Then they finally came out w/affordable DNA blood tests. Oops! Needless to say, it took the poor guy a while to stop telling everyone that, "Phenix is a good girl!"

Glad Banner won't have that problem. Very nice that you don't have to change her name, either. Congratulations on your new baby girl! She is quite lovely.

You just never know. I encounter this with pigeon folk all the time. They claim they can tell male from female from behavior and head type. You really can't be sure without DNA or an egg popping out. Most guesses (even with the experts) runs about 50/50. The dimorphic species are so much easier!

athena was 2 when we finally did the dna test. well athena is a boy, not the girl we thought we had, but we still refer to athena as a she. she was saying pretty girl, big girl, prettiest girl, etc by then, so what the heck, once a girl, always a girl for us, lol! it only gets confusing at the vet sometimes, hahahaha!!! so when we got kallie, we did the dna 1st thing before settling on a name.

Nice pics! She's such a pretty GIRL. I'm still thinking about it, but leaning toward having Timber tested next visit. After everything I'd read here, I probably need to know in case of egg problems, etc. However, like Athena I think Timber would stay "he" to us regardless of the test. Too confusing for him and us!

She certainly is photogenic and a real beauty. We are wondering what to do about "Gilbert" if his DNA refutes the gender identity we already have established. We are still awaiting word from our DNA. I love your pics with Banner holding up her wings. It looks like someone is robbing her. "Stick Em Up!" It is joyful to see how much she loves to be your water baby.