NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Foraging toy

Hopefully I'm not posting an idea that someone else already shared. I tried searching to make sure and nothing came up, so here it is.

This is something I make for Tango and he absolutely loves. I use uncooked pasta and Lafaber's avi cakes to make a foraging toy/snack. Tango's vet recommended them as a healthy snack since they are balanced to be a part of a birds diet in place of pellets.

What you will need:

uncooked jumbo shells or manicotti shells

avi cakes

untreated hemp twine (optional)

First I break a chunk of the Avi Cake off and warm in in the microwave for 10-12 seconds just to soften it. You don't want it super hot. (you can adjust the time as needed). This will make the avi cake soft and moldable. Then I divide the mixture over a couple of of shells or a manicotti shell. When the mixture cools it will stay inside the pasta. I then wrap it in paper and its a toy treat all in one!

Another thing I do is before I put the avicake in the pasta I lay either untreated hemp twine in the shell and then form the avicake over that. When it cools the avicake will hold the twine in place and you can then hang the pasta from the cage. I sometimes place a few pieces of pasta without filling on the string because he loves to crunch his "ronies" as we call them. I tried to do it with smaller pasta, but since the avi cake is chunky it is difficult to stuff it into small spaces.

Next time I make these I will try to take pictures.

Edited by itsjustnikki

• 4 weeks later...

Great idea, I have heard of making your own type of avicakes at home and softening the ingredients but would have never connected that to softening a premade avicake to use in a toy the way you have explained. Good on you, thanks. I am going to try that today. I have some cupcake wrappers that I can skewer so at first Gilbert can see what is in there and later go to wrapping them up for foraging. Thanks so much for your tips.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...