NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dometop or playtop cage

scooter4n

I need your input...

Currently I have donetop cage, but I am shopping for newer one an considering Playtop.

Lady at my local bird shop told me that dometop is better, and gives bird more open space and light.

On the other hand my parrot spends few hours a day outside of the cage and on top on the cage. Cleaning poop in between the wires is kind of hard :)

SO what is your experience with this two options, what would you recommend

Jake has the play top and I removed the slide out tray on the top for more light. I have been thinking of putting a piece of plexiglass on there instead. Jake enjoys playing there. I've installed some shepherds hooks for dangling toys (or him playing acrobird). It just gives us one more option during play time.

Corky my CAG started out with a playtop cage, but she did not spend much time up their. When we got Cricket our BFA she was in a small cage. We bought Corky a new clam shell top cage and Cricket got Corkys old play top. Cricket will go to the play top and play.

Our cockatiels have a play top and they could care less one way or the other, their cage is very large for cockatiels and they will stay in their cage even when the door is open.

They will come out when you take them out to play with, but whan you are done they go back to their cage on their own.

I think its up to you and your bird.

We do have some large play stands that are on wheels that we move around that they can play on when they want to.

I have both, actually the same cage in both styles. There is definitely more space and light in the dometop. I use the playtop cage in my kitchen to give Shadow more play space as she doesn't travel much into our family room and is very happy hanging out on her cage. I suppose it makes sense...the playtop has less room inside because the bird is supposed to be spending time outside on the playtop. My birds are all out for much of the day so the playtop is working. I do love the dometops and use them in my screened porch when the weather is nice and I want to leave the birds out there unattended. So many choices...good luck with your decision.

Phenix freaks about having a perch over the cage & hates the tray w/the play tops. So that's why I started having dome tops. I have open dome tops. I probably actually open them up about half of the time. I've never had a problem w/bird poop in the wires, though.

Dome tops tend to have more living space inside. I like the different styles. I like not having to get around the open door. I like that the birds have free cage access but the dogs don't when the top's open.

The last cage I got has a veranda door. I really like that, too, although it does take up space when it's down. But it's a slightly lower & flat surface for toys & snacks. Kura seems to like it. She spends more time on it than the top of the cage now.

I have EZ Care Play top cages for my three parrots. I like them because the whole front opens up for each cleaning. There is also a tray on the top at the play area that is removable if you wish. Newspapers fit in great without folding or cutting to cover the trays. This is the cage I will buy again.

http://www.wag.com/bird/p/super-pet-ez-care-playtop-cage-for-medium-birds-textured-gray-198293?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_W&utm_term=YWZ-007&utm_campaign=nextag

My grey, Josey has a split level cage, it is higher on one side with a playtop on the lower side, she loves to play on the playtop and it has a toy hook that she perches on sometimes, it is so funny to watch her slide down that when she is ready to come down. Some birds use playtops and some don't.

I get the best of both worlds by turning a dome top into a play top. I have this http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=10447&product=10463 bolted to the dometop of my Sennies cage with a get a grip net hanging behind it. Before that we had a small tree like multi-forked branch on top. There are a lot of ways you can embellish the top of dome top so it's a good place for a fid to hang out. For that reason I'd go with dome top.

I have 2 playtops and 1 dome cage, Rocky uses every square inch of his playtop and loves it , Opey loves his to , Brandi hasn't ventured on top of her dome top yet but I'am sure she will , I have 2 playstands and a java tree so they all have lots of time out their cages and lots of things to do , one bad thing about the playtops is the tray does block the light and the dome tops get lots of lighting