NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Amazon - what is he?

Sachi

Well, we have a new family member...

We fell in love with a Yellow-Crowned Amazon at the Golden cockatoo in Deerfield Beach, Florida - the same specialty bird store that I got Sachi at.

This guy was hatched on March 19th and was very chatty and friendly - after much discussion, we took him home.

We love him no matter what, but I did have a question for you experienced Amazon owners...

I'm a member of a different forum, and after I posted some photos of him I was told by someone who owns and breeds yellow-nape amazons that our guy looks more like a Yellow Naped than a Yellow Crown. I'm curious to hear what your opinions are... after I read that she thought he was a Yellow Nape, I did ask the employees at the store if they were sure that he was a Yellow Crown. I was told that he is definitely a Yellow Crown. They do sell all types of Amazons there, and their Yellow Napes are priced higher than Yellow Crowns. I took a look at the Yellow Napes and they were still all green, so that didn't help at all! I do trust the employees at this store as they have always given me good information and I don't believe they would misrepresent a bird in this way. We don't necessarily care what he is, but I have read a lot about aggression problems in Yellow Napes when they hit maturity and I'd like to know what to expect!

Your thoughts? Here are some photos!

1W6A0328-L.jpg

1W6A0330-L.jpg

1W6A0340-L.jpg

I took these photos when I got home and the lighting is different than the store:

1W6A0453-L.jpg

1W6A0471-L.jpg

Thank you for reading/looking!

Trouble maker[hehe] Lets say no one has a clue as to what type of Zon this is? This baby is young meaning it could be [TA-DA] a Yellow-crown, yellow-nape, blue-front, orange-wing etc, or even a hybrid...lol Jayd

Note: A Yellow-nape used to be called a "Single Yellow-head" !!!

I can add nothing to the conversation of his origin or classification. I just wanted to say what a gorgeous parrot he is. His eyes are so bright and he looks relaxed and has a wonderful home. Congratulations. Have you decided on a name for him yet?