NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Baby Vai is home =)

turtlepunk

so today I took a trip to San Diego to pick up Baby Vai (CAG) from Eva Rosen.

she is a DNA'd female and is 4 months old just learning how to eat dry food =)

She is unclipped and flies beautifully. This is the first unclipped bird I've had and it is such a THRILL to

see those beautiful wings being used for what they're meant for! It makes me so happy!

I love the baby noises she makes! she sounds like a little piglet!

I was cuddling with her today and apparently went to petsmart with a big runny bird poop on the back of my shirt!!! hahahahahaha

anyways here's a pic of her

621876_3736991911099_475193288_o.jpg

Congrats! Baby Vai is beautiful. LOL, I cannot count the times I have gone out somewhere only to find poop was on my back after returning. I would love to see more photos and videos when you get a chance. Watching them in flight is a beautiful thing to see indeed. :)

What an adorable little baby grey, love those dark eyes they have and she looks like a real sweetheart. Congrats on the beginning of the rest of your life with an awesome creature and you have been rightfully admitted to the bird lover's club, we all have been initiated into that at one time or another, you just add that to your list of things you do before you leave the house, check for poop on clothing!

thanks everyone! happy to know that I am rightfully admitted into this elite bird lovers club!! lol

so today is vai's second day home and already she came out of her shell! she was quiet yesterday and pretty much stuck to her perch, only taking flight once. Today she is quite the chatter box (she sounds like a little seagull). She's a big ball of energy and just wants to fly fly FLY. The trouble with that is, we have high ceilings and all these really weird high ledges that she LOVES to land on. She knows how to fly very well, but she doesn't know how to land properly or fly down. Once she lands on a high ledge she stays up there and we have to find a way to get her down. I have a lot of work cut out for me! Right now I'm just cuddling with her and trying to teach her how to step up.

Earlier today she took off from the top of her cage and landed on my FACE. I got a claw RIGHT UP MY NOSE! Another time she took off from her cage, i was further away. It looked like she was trying to figure out how to land on me because she hovered above me for a few seconds, but then freaked out and ended up crash landing on a high ledge in the kitchen!

Do birds ever learn to land right or is that something I'm going to have to teach her? I know she's still young right now and just learning how to use those wings. How do you guys teach your greys how to land and also to fly downwards?

anyways, enjoy more pics! =)

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

Our flighted Senegal can land anywhere. She can hook herself to top of the door, while it's closed. Pretty much anything that sticks out more than 3 mm from the wall is fair game as a place to land. Point being, we use long rope perches with the wires in them to retrieve her. I imagine if you attached one to a pole it and taught her to step up on it you could get her down that way. The rope perches are especially good for this since they're super easy to grip. I can spin them around my head and our Sennie just holds on for the ride.

She is just beautiful!! Such a precious face. :) She will learn to land like an ace pilot with practice. I asked the same question when I brought Biscotti home, he was trying to land on picture frames, my head & other very odd places. With practice they become experts!

Enjoy your "baby time" with her they are so sweet & cuddly.

Aerial, baby wipes are SUCH a life saver lol. Im constantly using them! thanks for the great idea penguin!

I'm so proud of baby Vai! We had a couple of training sessions today and she's catching on so fast! She's too nervous to "step up" onto my hand so I found an old wooden dowel to use. She steps on to that just fine! Then she'll "step up" onto a chair, then back onto the dowel. She's doing so well! I'm using a clicker and giving her cheerios as a reward. She's just learning dry foods, so I don't want her to crave seeds. With cheerios I think she enjoys chewing on them more so than eating them! haha. This evening she had fun flying to the high ledges then "stepping up" onto the wooden dowel. Getting her down is much easier!! Of course I still have to step up onto a chair to reach her but as long as she continues to step up I will be happy. She also stepped up onto my hand a couple of times before bed. aw so proud of her!! =) yay for progress. She's also enjoying her veggies!! what a relief!! =)

sounds like great progress! one day at a time! it builds the trust and bond between you both! I am so short that I use a great perch that I have extra to get Marco from the top of her playtop cage cuz I cant even reach that high and she knows to step up on that when I raise it to her. The rest of the time she really doesnt get to fly up high. Shes more a steady coaster to the ground lol then the dogs run for their lives when she lands and starts walking round. lol