NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazons; The misunderstood parrot

Ray P

Ok there is going to be a lot of IMO in this thread, but I don`t think I`m off track in what I have to say.

Cricket my Blue Fronted Amazon, Has been, Is now and always will be my teacher when it comes to zons. I know that is a strong statement, but it`s true.

All you amazon care givers stand up and let your voice be heard when it comes to your zon and other zons you may know.

There is a basic truth about what you hear about amazons, but what they become is up to you. (for the most part).

An article in Bird Talk Magazine, In January 2002, What`s Wrong With Amazons, by Joanie Doss is a good read if you want to know more about Amazons. The article talks about the Hot three, The Blue Front Amazon. the Double Yellwo Head and the Yellow Nape males make up the hot three. The average person will not separate the female from the big three and think they are all the same.

Amazons are not greys with green feathers despite the fact they are equally smart,great talkers and about the same size. Amazons react differently than greys to situations. If they were people, The Grey would be the intellectual college graduate while the amazon would be the street smart life-of-the-party type of guy.

The most important factor though, was that wonderful amazon spirit that allowed them to adjust to captivity better than any other species.

You can Google What`s wrong with amazons by Joanie Doss and you might come away with a different view of amazons.

I'm looking forward to reading more. I only have a Grey. I've always been partial to Amazons, but since I live in a condo I worry about noise. I also admit that those "hot three" males seem challenging. My personality can deal with the cautious grey nature, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with hormonal aggression. If I were in a position to get an Amazon, I would lean toward an Orange Wing or Lilac Crowned female. Who knows, in years to come I may end up with a Double Yellow Head male if circumstances were right. One never knows in the world of parrots. I hope we get lots of posts from the Zon gang.

I have always loved amazons. I rescued a female lilac crown (she was 15) she continues to be a work in progress however she has come a long, long way. She had a horrible life when I got her and she is learning new things every day! I love my cag Dorothy dearly and she brings such joy to my life. I go between someday adding another grey or adding either a panama or Mealy. I would love to hear anyones opinion of these two species. I keep reading that the Mealy's are the gentle giants and that panamas are also gentle great birds for a family. My daughters are 12 & 15 so not too young but I would love a bird that would feel comfortable in our family. I do love the greys however I am very drawn to the "happy go lucky" nature "playful, outgoing" demeanor of the amazons. Again, I would love any information anyone might be able to give in comparing these two amazons. (I don't want to hijack thread, please feel free to pm me)

The point I would like to make is. There are many things printed about amazons that can be misleading.

I do not beleve amazons are mean, and as far as aggression with some male species there may be a two or three years with hormonal aggression that can fall when that zon is between 5 and 12 years old and than it tapers off.

Edited by Ray P

Ray, you make a good point about the tough times being liimited to a few years. This is where commitment and unconditional love come in. Two or three years out of sixty may seem like a short time, but when you are going through it, it might seem like a lifetime. If I ever get an Amazon I would have to remind mysef that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and that with proper interaction those times would be less difficult. Too many Amazons are given up because people either don't know that things will get better or they don't have the tools ro deal with hormonal times when they occur.

Thank you for this, Ray. I have worked with all types of birds - but hardly any Amazons. They are quite an enigma to me. I live in Southern California and we have quite a few flocks of wild amazons that live in our palm trees. I am fascinated by their coloring and vocalizations. I'd love to learn more about them!

Rocky is teaching me everyday how to live with an Amazon lol he is a yellow crown but all amazon lol , he can get moody but it doesn't last long , most of time is a happy lively parrot that loves attention , food and his toys and he isn't afraid of any new toy or of new people he will step up for anyone and he is a great talker I agree amazons are the class clowns