NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hey everyone

TeriG

I think we were typing at the same time Sara! I didn't know about the bobbing possibly meaning backoff. That is good info.
I'll see if I can get a video of it. It's very different from what TeriG described. It starts with a head bob, then he fluffs his feathers and bobs and the eyes pin. That means I'm way too close and I need to back off. He's amazingly hand friendly with me - we shared a banana this morning - just no touch.

You are off to a really good start with Virgil. It is awesome that he stepped up for you. We have a rehomed grey about ten or eleven years old. At first when he would step up, I could tell he was nervous so I would ask if he wanted to go back and he was in a big hurry to do so. He has taken a really long time to build trust. It seems like Virgil does remember you and that is good. You really have an advantage with that. I am so glad you joined us, we will learn a lot from you as you and Virgil become best friends.

I'll see if I can get a video of it. It's very different from what TeriG described. It starts with a head bob, then he fluffs his feathers and bobs and the eyes pin. That means I'm way too close and I need to back off. He's amazingly hand friendly with me - we shared a banana this morning - just no touch.

I've never seen Timber with his eyes pinned. I have seen him do the fluff and bob! ;)

Always... watch the eyes! Eye pinning means... dialating and constricting. Can actually mean two things, from my experience with Sophie. When she was two, just adopted, her eye pinning meant, she was warning me. BACKOFF! As she got older, ( around another six months), and trusted me, her eye pinning meant, she was interested in learning what I had just said. Usually catchy phrases. She wanted to learn what I had just said. Its important to " listen" to your bird, and understand what they are communicating. Warning, vs Learning. Lucky now, all eyepinning means, she is learning. Nancy

Virgil is doing great. He has come out of his cage once so far and he stepped up to me from on top of the cage without trying to bite. He has never done that before. He has always been very territorial of his cage. I'm hoping this good behavior will last. I have been giving him a sunflower seed every time he steps up. If he tries to bite I hold back the seed. I think he will get the picture pretty quick.

He still dances for me and he still does the stretch thing. I got some video I will post up, so you can give me your opinion as to what he's doing. You can hear the little squeak in the one video that does for me too. I also have him blowing me kisses when I say I love you to him. Of course when ever I try to get it on video he won't do it.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj574/genduso4195/Virgil/?action=view&current=Virgil.mp4

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj574/genduso4195/Virgil/?action=view&current=Virgil2.mp4

Oh I almost forgot! I bought Harrison's High Potency Pellets for him and he LOVES them. Which is good since all he does with the fresh fruits and veggies is decorate the bottom of his cage. He will chew on the orange pieces and he likes carrots. He eats a little of the mixed frozen veggies I give him, but the peppers, green beans, zucchini, ect he just pulls out of the bowl. He did enjoy destroying the broccoli, but I don't think he ate any of it. And he didn't touch the kale. I know it will take some time, since for 25yrs all he knew were seeds. He will try something if he sees me eating it, so I try to pretend I'm eating what I want him to eat. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yay on the Harrison's! My little dudes love it too.

I'll leave this one to the experts....but this is what I see. In the first video, just looks like a bird that would like to come out of the cage. The wings are slightly out like he'd like to be somewhere else (early flight behavior). The second video is more difficult to see - but looks like breeding behavior. I can't tell if he's actually regurgitating anything when he's hanging upside down, but the wing tips are fluttering slightly and the posture suggests breeding.

Hopefully, someone can shed more light on this one.

• 2 weeks later...