NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wozzie stopped saying words...Why?

Burkinagin

Well, we've had our Wozzie with us for 53 days now and what a joy he has been to us already. Quick question. The first couple weeks he was with us, he was saying very clearly, (low voice) "Bonjour", and an occasional "Hello" but only when I was out of the room or my back was to him. Suddenly words stopped and only whistles. I know to only talk to him, we hardly ever whistle with him. ( I read this on your forum to do). From what I can recall, the only difference was that we had changed his living area, his small cage to his castle. Any suggestions?? Wozzie is now whistling like crazy during our cuddle time and cant hardly stop kissing me. LOL Two weeks ago, this wasn't happening. Progress, I love it! But not knowing his age, I'm wondering if he older, and was never taught to talk, will he or can he start learning words at an older age? Gin

That is progress! :) I'm a newbie myself, but I can tell you what Timber is doing. When I got him (rehomed) six weeks ago, he was talking up a storm. The first day or two I heard a lot of phrases and words. Then, he almost stopped saying words at all, except for an occasional goodbye. He whistled and made sounds, but didn't say words. Three mornings ago, he started talking again while we were going through our morning routine, and he has talked up a storm each morning since. After almost six weeks of silence, he's decided to verbalize again. It seems that these birds do what they want, when they want to. I've just kept talking to him, even when he didn't have anything to say, along with whistling back in response to his whistling, clicking back at him etc. From what I've read on this forum, I don't think Wozzie's age limits his ability to learn new words and phrases. However, I've also seen many say that some birds just prefer making sounds and mimicking sounds to talking, so it is probably a matter of preference for the individual bird. I'm just going to keep talking and hope Timber keeps responding and learning new words, but it seems like it is a whatever will be will be thing!

That is progress! :) It seems that these birds do what they want, when they want to. ... it seems like it is a whatever will be will be thing!

Good for you! That attitude will get you a lo-o-ong way towards a happier relationship w/a fid!

I don't agree w/the school of thought that says don't whistle to your fid if you want them to talk. Especially if you want them to communicate not simply imitate. It might be argued that it slows down their use of human words. But I know first had that it certainly doesn't keep them from learning to use them.

Phenix was wild caught, fully adult, possibly even middle aged when he came home. He had issues & it was vital to find every possible way to communicate w/him. Talk, whistle, raspberries, song & dance routine. lol Whatever it took to make that connection.

Whistling is how a grey talks. It's how they communicate over distances in the wild. It's also very good to encourage that in your fid so you can keep track of each other thru the day. Hugely helpful if you have a contact call to use if they escape.

Greys are real slow movers. Wozzie 's just starting to really settle in. You will start to see many different phases as he unpacks his bags over the next however many months. It's all good as long as he's communicating & not withdrawing. Roll w/it. Whatever "it" is. lol It's all part of the fun & excitement of living w/these surprising birds.

I always think, birds stop talking, to think and learn. Gotta watch out for those birds! They are pretty smart. They are " absorbing information!" As far as whistling, I believe it is important to whistle back. It is part of their language, and is the first step before talking. This, in my opinion, is not detering them from talking, but is the " building blocks", to communication. Nancy

I'm sure this is just a phase. It's not uncommon for them to stop talking or stop saying certain words for a time. My CAG is a year old today and only says a few words, but we communicate with lots of other sounds and whisles are are great way to communicate. It is all part of the mix.

Our experience was quite similar with Sam. When he arrived he seemed to be "calling his old flock", belting out loads of phrases, sounds, dog barks, and lots of naughty words. After about 6 weeks, he went silent, with the exception of whistles and the word "help". It's been over a year now, and our progress has been real slow. He mostly whistles, but has delighted us with the occasional word.

Have patience- it may take a while for Wozzie to begin to say new words, but when he does, it'll be such a treat!

(Sorry for such a long delay in responding to your great support. Internet has been off and on so irregular this past week. The joys of living in West Africa) Thank you all for your wonderful advice. You all are teaching me so much. It was my mother that had told me not to whistle with Wozzie, only use words. She said she read it somewhere. Now after reading your post, I understand how misinformed she was to tell me this. Poor Wozzie... I am going downstairs right now to whistle with him. LOL Thanks again everyone!

You surprised me with the "no whistle" with the birds. First I heard of that!

Birds vocalize for lots of reasons. One of them is contact calls. You'll notice most birds are noiser at dawn and dusk. It's a sort of "hey! I made it through the night!" and then "ok everyone! let's settle in" (a silly illustration, I know). :) When the flock is separated they will use these calls to stay in contact. If you hear your bird whistle in the other room, give a little whistle back (or words you like).

Burt, my older guy, taught me his contact calls right away when I adopted him. He also has a "you're too close to my cage!" whistle. You will pick up, in time, what each call means to your bird. You can even use them back at them. Sometimes Burt doesn't like me changing the paper in his cage and he will get too close and I give him his own "back off" whistle...and dangit! it works.

Actually, for those of you who haven't heard about not whistling to greys-----the reason is very simple and well known. Greys are the most natural whistlers in the parrot world and whistling to the bird just encourages the bird to whistle more and more. It has nothing to do with it's ability to talk. For those of you that have young birds, the time will come when your bird will get into a constant whistling mode and it'll have nothing to do with communication with the owner. In the wild, birds are constantly chirping around each other. The reason they're together is because they're flock birds. Chirping is the way they relax. If you need an example of non-communication concerning people, just listen to your bird start repeating all the things it knows in no particular order. this can happen in the early afternoon or early evening or just before night sleep. There is no communication with people. They're simply micicing what their brains are storing. Whistling is much more natural to them than mimicing words.

Actually, for those of you who haven't heard about not whistling to greys-----the reason is very simple and well known. Greys are the most natural whistlers in the parrot world and whistling to the bird just encourages the bird to whistle more and more. It has nothing to do with it's ability to talk. For those of you that have young birds, the time will come when your bird will get into a constant whistling mode and it'll have nothing to do with communication with the owner. In the wild, birds are constantly chirping around each other. The reason they're together is because they're flock birds. Chirping is the way they relax. If you need an example of non-communication concerning people, just listen to your bird start repeating all the things it knows in no particular order. this can happen in the early afternoon or early evening or just before night sleep. There is no communication with people. They're simply micicing what their brains are storing. Whistling is much more natural to them than mimicing words.

Very interesting! I haven't noticed any increase in whistling with my birds - or perhaps I'm just used to it.

Dave is always spot on. :)

I have whistled to Dayo since he was a wee lad. I did this intentionally and he has a plethora of the, such as Andy Griffith and other such songs a s well as grey natural wolf whistles and many others whistles I have done for years. After all these years, he has become very creative and makes up his own melodies along with some beat-box sound percussion's etc. It is very entertaining here at times. :P

As Dave has stated, when dayo wants to contact call, he will come out with many various loud whistles and of course also call for using various human language phrases. But the whistles are predominant when he gets in a fret over where one of us are.

I never knew whistles could be so complex! I guess I don't have a contact whistle. We play whistle games back and forth from different rooms. This has been a favorite game for past decade. I make the whistle, she repeats. We make it complicated back and forth.Its always has been a game to us. I do still believe whistling is the first step before speech.Of course, I am no expert, but know what works for Sophie and me. Nancy

I am a terrible whistler.

Burt has a three note contact call. I try to whistle it back to him. Funny thing, Sondheim picked up on my BAD whistle and uses it back at me.

And never leave The Cartoon Channel on for the birds while you are away. My birds are suddenly whistling some nutty tunes!

I got my guy in january of this year, he said step up the day he came home and nothing since. I posed the same question, whistle or not whistle. I chose to whistle. He still will not talk our language but i fully understand his! He is 7 years old and i am still being told one day he will talk again, but it is wholey his choice.

murfchck.. follow his lead. People get annoyed with me all the time, how I focus on the bird, believe in " listen" to them. They teach us. I really believe in this. I also believe in " limiting" behavior. Sophie and I always disagree with behavior issues for the flock. I respect her opinion, but make the final decision. Nancy and Sophie

Sasha doesn't talk and he is 3 years old now. He does say maybe the odd word but pretty rare and not very well (the only phrase he does say is "Hello pretty bird")

He does however immitate every annoying sound that he comes across (microwave beeping, phone ringing, squeeking of the plates when I hand dry them, owls, etc). I just find it weird how he immitates a bunch of sounds but not any words.

It doesn't bother me very much though since I quiite frequently use bad words and wouldnt want him immitating those.

I'd be careful with those bad words! Sasha is capable of talking, as she repeats many new sounds. How about teaching her " catchy phases". Sophie loves them more than saying words. Her favorite... " kootchiekootchiekoo." Try reading some Dr. Seuss books to her. She may like rhymes.Spend time reading books to her. Many think I'm crazy about that, but it worked for us. Nancy

Tango goes through phases where he will talk all the time and hardly whistle and then where he barely says any words at all. I think right now he is in the not talking phase and prefers to whistle. He also only says certain things for certain people. When my mom comes over he immediately laughs like her. I think its amazing, there is never a dull moment with a grey in the house that's for sure.