NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What should my next bird be?

oblivion

I'm shocked by how soon after losing Anya ('tiel) that the hole she's left in my heart and home is begging to be filled by another bird. I know she will never be 'replaced,' and I don't want her to be, but even before she got sick, I knew there would be a successor. I'm not going to rush into anything, but I can't help thinking about, "What should my next bird be?"

This is more of a 'thinking out loud' thread as the fact of the matter is that my next bird will likely pick me, as Spencer did, and will be a rescue/rehome, as Spencer was, but I'm throwing it out there in case any one wants to pitch their two cents in.

First, I've ALWAYS wanted a macaw, but am still not certain I nor my family are ready for one (though my daughter is lobbying for one HARD ;) ). That said, I didn't think I was ready for a Grey when I took on Spencer, and we get on pretty darn well. The two big concerns are, of course, noise and beak size. Noise is mostly a concern with how my wife would handle it since she works from home a day or two a week and already gets annoyed when Spencer tries 'joining in' on her phone calls. There is also still the (although fading) hope that she will get pregnant again, and noise and time would be a concern then (as it would with any bird). Beak size my be mitigated by 'the right bird,' whether that be a good-tempered one, and/or one of the minis. But macaws make macaw noises a macaw volumes. They just do.

One of the reasons I want a macaw, aside from the sheer beauty (in my eye), is their clownishness. That leaves me thinking a conure would be a good next bird. Colorful, boisterous, clowny, with a smaller beak - could be win/win. Other than my old budgie, who occasionally got wound up, my birds have been pretty reserved, and I kind of miss out on those 'hanging upside down by one toe and beating the crap out of a toy' antics. Anya was WAY too proper for any such shenanigans.

I do NOT believe I have the time 'toos are reported to require. I think Anya was pretty close to a snugly 'too in disposition, but she was also independent enough to not pine/self destruct when I was away. I don't deal with 'clingy' well. Ask about half of my ex girlfriends (the half _I_ broke up with). :D

I'm a bit intimidated by some of the reputation Amazons have, but the 'Zon room here as well as other reading has mostly quelled that. I'd be open to the right one.

I wouldn't be averse to another Grey, but would prefer some variety in both color and disposition.

For some reason, I think I want a bigger bird - a conure being about the smallest I'm interested in. Other than 'toos and probably lorikeets (my sister had one) and other 'difficult to keep' birds, I'm not really ruling anything out.

Again, I will adopt whatever bird ends up picking me/us out and will work with Spencer, kid(s), a bunny, dogs and a cat around, but if you have any thoughts on species I should give a longer (OR shorter) look, let me know.

BTW, we are going to C.A.R.E. tomorrow to drop Anya's donations off. Thankfully, there's a lengthy adoption process, so I won't be inclined to come home with a new bird, but we will get to meet a TON. :D But to reiterate/on a more serious note, I am NOT going to rush into this. This speculation/thinking out loud just feels good in helping me cope with the loss of my beloved bird. Any decision will be rationally made, and probably outlined right here.

Thanks for reading.

I don't think you would be disappointed with an Amazon. I find my Louie to be very comical and wanting to please. He never remembers anything adverse. He has a live and let live attitude. Now I do agree with a macaw. I would love one and if I find one that needs a home, well heaven help me, I will be making room in my home! Good luck with what you decide to do. I believe if you are bound to get another parrot, one will just find you!!!

I have been smitten with the little Rose Breasted Cockatto (Gallah). Smaller beak...bigger body. Very playful and easy going. I have been watching a little guy grow up as I have been visiting with my friend who breads all types of exotics. He has captured my heart and always seems to be a crowd favorite.

You will know when the right one comes along!

For some people, the one kind of big drawback w/Conures & Quakers can be the noise. I love Charm (Quaker) to pieces. I think she has an outrageous personality & she's endless fun. I may be a little prejudice, but I think she's darn cute, too! :D

However, she's one of the loudest birds ever. She also hits a particular pitch & volume that makes my teeth reverberate, on a pretty regular basis. I'm usually pretty oblivious to loud, happy bird noises. But sometimes, I actually have to put the noise canceling headphones on until she finally quiets back down.

The other problem w/my particular cast of characters is that Charm thinks she's at least as big as anyone else around. She's very outgoing & has no fear. I'm always doing double time to keep her out of mischief w/my bigger birds, the dogs or whatever else she happens to find amusing. :eek:

I have always been an ekkie fan. I certainly haven't been disappointed being an ekkie parront. Bonus points, my ekkie is the one bird that Phenix actually kinda likes. Although he may never admit it. lol Considering what an anti-social type he is, that was a real big surprise! So I thought maybe an ekkie could be a nice fit with Spencer & your flock?

The one other ekkie that I know fairly well is a Vos male who's quite a character. Male ekkies do generally have a rep for being more outgoing than females. Compared to Kura, he's much more of an entertainer. This guy is definitely in his element whenever he's got an audience. He's just such a big clown that everyone falls for him immediately.

Kura tends to be pretty quiet, for the most part. I think she actually has a beautiful voice. Of course, she also has some very jungle sounding parrot calls, too. But it's so rare that she always surprises me when she cuts loose.

She's very social & loves meeting people. She's very often content to watch the show, rather than be the star. But everyone still falls for the beautiful little redhead because she's just such a little sweetheart. :)

Edited by birdhouse

While not large in stature, the senegals and red-bellied parrots are interesting, snuggly, active birds with clown-like behavior. Our Java is six years old, she is very self assured, loves to lay on her back in my hand for snuggles and is entertaining, exuberant and just lots of fun. She doesn't talk much, and her words don't sound so "human" as much as a silly cartoon character, but she is every bit as intelligent and engaged in the household as any grey we have had. She is a red bellied hen. The male is brighter in color and the senegals are lovely too. I would call Java a quiet bird, she whistles and makes flock calls to me when I am in the house but I have never had anyone complain about noise. I am a bit noise sensitive and I find her to be just delightful. She isn't a "one person bird", will go to anyone in the family although she does prefer me and lets me do more with her than the others. I think that is just because I am home all the time. I have heard others say the Senegal family is good with kids. They really can't be classified as "small" birds, but she looks huge next to a cockatiel and is about half Gilbert's size.

We went out to C.A.R.E. today to drop off Anya's food and meds and visiting the ton of birds needing homes. Heart-go-breaky. We got there early by prior appointment - more than 2 hours before they open to the public - and they were very kind in letting us look around while they were feeding and cleaning cages and they were very grateful for the donation.

One cockatiel was working HARD for my attention. There was also a blue and gold macaw and a cockatoo which literally reached their talons through their bars at me while whistling. A one-legged sun conure was hamming it up, essentially yelling, "Pick me! PICK ME!" There was a Severe macaw who was shy at first and then started begging for attention. Em said that bird would be perfect, "Because I'm like that, too!" Another cockatoo stopped me dead in my tracks by calling out, "I love you!" as I walked by. Sweet, cute, and heart breaking. Many, many stories waiting to be told and yet more to unfold there. I wish it was closer so I could volunteer.

Kat, there's a red-bellied there as well and I read up a bit on them yesterday. This one didn't try to leap out of the cage into our arms like the other birds - was more laid back and just kind of checking me out. Of course it's impossible to judge a bird by one quick pass down the rows of cages. S/He's definitely not ruled out. Similar, a quaker there. No one begs for attention like the cockatoos, though - crests were showed off without shame!

While standing in front of 2 B&Gs and a Severe, one of the workers tried wrangling a newer 'too which had escaped its cage. The 'too flew right down the aisle towards us and sent the ENTIRE room into full SQUAWK mode. MAN was that loud! It settled down fairly quickly and the 'too stepped up with little ado. I said, "Wow, that was loud, huh?" My daughter excitedly exclaimed, "He brushed my arm as he flew by!!!"

I have a few other feelers out, including a line on a potential 'red macaw' in need of a home (do not know if a scarlet, GW, ruby, etc.), but adopting from them is an attractive option. They have a fairly involved adoption/interview process, which I may get started on.

My 5-year old still says we should get a macaw - she really liked the ruby there, but I didn't interact with her much. My wife hasn't yet ruled it flat out, but there are real concerns about her trying to conduct work from home - much on the phone - as it's already tough enough with just Spencer around.

We'll see.

If I was ever to get a second bird, it would be a tough choice as you well stated. Have you considered a Cape Parrot? I have read a lot about them and have found absolutely nothing negative. This may be because they are somewhat rare still--and expensive ($1200-2,000). If you want a rescue--u may not find a Cape Parrot easily. Everyone who lives with one says they are an absolute joy. They are described as being as smart as a grey and as cuddly as a cockatoo. They are as quiet as greys as well and have the playful personality of the other members of the piocephalus family like senegals. I have a soft spot for Amazons and Macaws as well, but noise may be a factor. Ekkies are intelligent and beautiful, but females may seem reserved. As you said, the right bird will pick you. Good luck.

Edited by JeffNOK

Jeff, I don't know much about Capes, but I see no reason to rule one out. I was a subscriber to Bird Talk long ago when there was a big discussion of Capes versus Un-Capes - splitting off a subspecies or something - that's about all I've ever really read on then.

Thanks, Judy, that's very kind.

Sarasota, your words hit me pretty hard last night as a reminder to slow down (in a good way). The funny thing is that after resolving to do so, just this morning I got a call about a 'perfect' Quaker who is sadly being returned to the rescue. So we're going to at least visit him while he's 'near by' before he goes all the way back. I'll keep your advice, which matches my original intentions, in mind. Thanks.

Excellent advice by Sarasota! Mark... the BEST bird, is one that chooses you! Take your time, and " listen". You will know the right choice, because the bird that should come home, is the one that picks you. We were picked by all our birds.You may find several will pick you, but there is that " special" bird, that is out there! There is an immediate bonding, that all of us felt, when we adopted our birds.

Sunny picked Ryan at daycare. He was nine years old, his sitter was a " rescue" home. He bit EVERYONE! The moment Ryan walked in the door, he flew to his shoulder, and started preening Ryan.

Sean was seven years old. He wanted a bird like Ryan. Took him to the local birdstore, told him, to listen to the birds. Let the bird pick him. Kiki, an Amazon was on the playgym, jumped right into his arms! I encouraged him to checkout all the birds, when he was done, went back to Kiki, she jumped onto his shoulder. He was picked.

Sophie picked me after interviewing twice for her. I really believe birds pick us. nancy

So, this guy followed us home:

7606575556_7f3938759b.jpg

Navaro the pretty, pretty Quaker! by oblivion9999, on Flickr

He's about 5 years old, sweet as can be, and had no problem going to my daughter. He's like a step-up magnet. My wife got a little nip due to over-stimulation as we were all standing around him and talking. She wasn't thrilled about it, but I assured her it wasn't personal and she gave him another shot after he calmed down and all was well. We have him on trial with no obligation - it was either go home with us, or go home with the foster lady only to be shuttled back to the shelter, so there you have it. The only reason I could see him going back is if he turns into a raging screech-monster in the next couple days, which my wife just would not tolerate, but I very much don't expect.

I don't have much backstory. The woman who just had him said he wanted too much attention. But she worked nights and had him covered all day, so . . . *shrug* The cage he came with is barely used - not even a poop spot on the playtop and the food bowls are pristine. There are a couple decent toys, but he'll need/get more. His home before that, I know nothing about other than I think they had kids.

He's apparently on pellets, some seeds, and 'table foods' (mostly pasta but supposedly some veggies and fruit, too), so that's all good. And he's had a full blood and fecal panel and all's well.

As Quakers go, he's got much more yellow and blue than I've ever seen before, though, honestly, I haven't paid a lot of attention to them. My wife has said repeatedly how much his coloration reminds her of our old, very beautiful budgie, Nimue. I think that was the deal-closer for her. My daughter is over-the-moon. She's always been a bit bummed that she can't handle Spencer, and as sweet as Anya was, she was pretty skittish with the kid. This guy, so far, is a perfect match for a 5 year old. As I got his cage set up, he was in a temp cage and she was playing songs and dancing for him - he seemed to approve.

And, he didn't freak out when the dogs and cat checked him out.

I'll keep you all updated.

awww what a cutie he looks like a green pallid quaker they have more of a yellowish green tint and some are more lime green , they are beautiful birds I seen a few at the bird fair this year and I wanted to take one home with me but I didn't ,I hope it all works out and you get tokeep him quakers are awsome little birds :)

Your daughter's face is just lit up with pleasure at seeing you with this beautiful quaker. She must get her love of birds from you, she just has a glow about her. I hope this quaker is lucky enough to come home and become her best buddy. I have never seen a quaker, he sure is beautiful. What's his name? I hope he wins over your wife's heart too.

I think his name is "Navaro." I only saw it briefly. I asked if he knows it, and the foster said yes, so we'll see. My wife looks a bit sour in the picture, but I think I just caught her wrangling our anxious child. ;) She's on board, and like I said, enamored that he reminds her of our old Nim. And yeah, Em is an animal nut just like me. She was pretty excited about that gecko behind her head, too (there are a couple in there). It's funny, my wife didn't have any pets but a couple fish growing up. Considering that, she's taken to my zoo-keeping ways (and our daughter's aspirations) pretty well.

He's all settled in and I have't heard a peep out of him since lights-out. I, on the other hand, can't sleep. ;)

Ugh, little dude went and nipped my wife on the arm this morning - he's not making things easy on himself. I humbly accept much of the blame - he was being hesitant to step from me to her, and I kind of forced the issue thinking he just needed a firmer 'approach' as she can be timid at times, so I moved him towards her. Today is going to be a critical noise level test as she's trying to work from home. Wish them well!

Thanks, Ray. After the nip this morning, my wife seems to be softening to him again today. She reports that he's quieter than Spencer and has been making some sweet sounds.

BTW, on the honored list, I don't know what you do when birds leave us, but as I'm sure you've read by now, my sweet Anya is no longer with us, so please edit accordingly. :/ Thank you.

Sarasota, your words hit me pretty hard last night as a reminder to slow down (in a good way).
Wow! Thank you for those kind words. I was worried they didn't come out right.

When I saw a photo of Burt and heard his story - I just knew I needed to meet this bird. And when I did, it was an instant connection. I wasn't planning on another Grey, it just turned out that way.

So, I DID listen to your words - I even took the small car and no carrier with only the intention of meeting Navaro, not packing a bird and playtop cage home. But, well, scroll up and look at that kid's face. Mine was just about as excited. It's not like he landed on her head at a park, but it's just shy of being that perfect. So far, no major cries of distress from my wife at home. ;)