NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Teaching to lie on back?

Christina Larsen

Sarasota, I respect your experience, but Sophie, is NEVER going to do it. she has been in a position that she didn't like, had decided to let go with trust. Nancy

Oh! Ooops, the first part was meant for you. The second part responding to the original poster!

Yes, some birds will never be comfortable with it. Never say never...but I'll eat my hat if Burt ever lies on his back in my hand! :)

After reading this thread, i tried something new with DJ and it's working out slowly slowly and i though i would tell you about it. I was sitting on my desk which is right next to his cage, and DJ was hanging up side down from his cage door. I immediately placed my hand under his back and lifted his body slowly. He didn't let go of the door, but he kept on playing with my other hand. I did that time after time and he slowly accepted my hand. He managed to let go of one of his legs, and i hope he will let go of the other soon :)

I bought my bird close to my chest so bird was facing me, then I gently placed my hand on his back so he felt secure. I then leaned over forwards (as in the movement to touch my toes) and presto he is on his back in my hand which was placed on his back.

• 4 months later...

I have tried this with my 2 year old CAG since he was a few weeks old and up to now he stil goes into a raging biting fit if I try to put him on his back or role him over on the bed when we are playing. Once I try to roll him over ever so gently, the playtime and games are ove and he would no longer want to play. He would immediately climb up on my shoulder and perch although he was full of life and energy a few seconds ago. I dont force this anymore and just made peace with the fact that he does not like it and dont do it anymore. He does hang upside down in the Aviary or his cage wilst playing/fighting with his toys but thats as far as upside down goes for him. Maybe he does not trust me enough yet, but im thinking its more that he just does not like being on his back.