NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Teaching to lie on back?

Christina Larsen

Hi, perch her on your finger and roll your hand like ZulusMom said, then roll your hand slowly at first. With her finger perched face her away from you with her back facing your chest, move you hand towards you [tail feathers down] and press her back against you chest. Next step , if she's hanging upside down lower her to your couch or bed etc...It takes time...Thanks Jayd

Some greys just do not like to be on their back and Josey is one of them, I have tried to put her on her back several times and she doesn't like it one bit so I stopped trying, after all I don't want to get bit because of it. If when you try to do it and your grey growls then you better quit trying.

I dont think I'd try this with a baby either. Garth used to like being flipped upside down but we didnt do it until he was steady, he would do it himself and spent most of his cage time upside down too. I may attempt it with Zulu when he's a bit older and there is already trust established so he knows I wont drop him.

Bongo (aka Stewart ) has been climbing to the top of his cage at night and hanging upside down. I started putting my hand on his back and he will lay into my hand now a little. He doesn't let go yet but we will go at his pace and i know one day he will! It took 6 months before i could touch him so him just letting my hand be fully on his back is a good sign!

If I may. It's natural for a parrot to hang upside down in the wild, they do this to get food and insects etc from a smaller branch or tree hole... the "TRUST" isn't so much they have in us as it is in the trust they have for themselves...Example: Lets say your 5'8" inches tall ad your fid is hanging from your side on your finger upside down, they can let go, right-side themselves and fly off before reaching the ground...They can't do this in a cage, not enough room... Thanks Jayd

I was just wondering if there was a way to teach Amy to lie on her back? I see pics of people with their grey on it's back in the person's hands. Is that something they do on their own or is that taught?

Surprisingly, many greys when comfortable and nuzzling with their favored person will just lay on their back with no coaxing at all. Dayo has rolled himself over since less than a year old on my wife when hanging out with her. It is not something you really need to teach in other words for them to do it in time with the right person. :)

You can see Dayo laying on his back and pulling the blanket up with his talons in this photo.. no coaxing whatsoever:

0907060001.jpg

I hope to eventually get to this point with the grey we're getting. This video isn't a grey, but I'm quite proud of this video becasue it took a long time to document what has been dubbed "flippies." Basically our senegal likes being on her back and will flip over and expect you to catch her when it suits her. We have plenty of video of her on her back but it's really hard to predict when she'll suddenly flop over.

Edited by FirstPenguin

FirstPenguin... congrads! Your senegal totally trusts you to do this! Not only is he demonstrating trust, look at the eyes. No pinning, no warning he is not happy. Complete trust. You are a GREAT parrent. Nancy

Thanks for the kind words. I started slowly with Evie when she was less than a year old. Since then she has bonded fully to my girlfriend. She is the only one capable of handling her like this. Luckily I can still handle her on some level and she still likes to be on my shoulder or knee when she's sleepy, or I'm the only one aroud. She's also fully flighted and fully aware of it, so it's safe to say she wants to be there. I liked that you were able to observer from the video her body language. When she's really relaxed she'll relax her feathers like she's ready for a nap.

• 1 month later...
TWIX... Sophie trusts me with her life. She HATES to be on her back. Trust has nothing to do with anything. It is a bird preference, has nothing to do with the relationship between a bird and parent. Nancy

Good point, Nancy. It's just too uncomfortable for some birds.

It can also be trained pretty easy (simple, but must be done in small steps, depending on the bird). Start by lightly touching the bird's back. Reinforce (praise, treat, etc.). Continue the pressure, start the tilt, keep going, eventually the bird will be on its back.