NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tucker - advise needed :)

Amali

As most of you know, I brought Tucker home two weeks ago at the age of 13 weeks. He was weaned and maintained his weight for at least a week before the breeder would allow him to come home. Since bringing him home, Tucker eats well and I check his weight every other day. He has gained weight in the time we have had him - up to 249g from 241g. He digs into his veggies every morning and eats his pellets well too. Every evening, though, he has started the "give me a feeding" baby cry. It was most noticeable last night so I took a video and sent it to the breeder to confirm that I was reading his cry correctly. The breeder responded that Tucker is, in fact, trying to manipulate me into giving him a feeding, but the breeder advised against doing it. This goes against everything I've read so I'm asking for your opinions on this one.

Some more points that I think are noteworthy - he only does this in the evening as I mentioned. He only does this when he is being held or when someone is in his immediate vicinity. If he is left alone in his cage, he goes on about his own business - playing, eating, etc. Also - I have experience handfeeding and am 100% confident in my ability to give him a comfort feeding if this is the route we choose to take. I know the risks of handfeeding and would never attempt to do it if I weren't certain that I know what to do.

My only goal is to give Tucker the best shot at being a confident and outgoing 'too. What would you do?

Thanks Greywing, Tucker is being normal, a lot of parrots like the comfort food till their a year or older..Like Greywing said get tucker used to a spoon, safer...If you use Formula, don't use Kaytee!!!!30 to 50cc is plenty......

When I brought Sterling Gris home at 5 months, he was eating everything. Sterling is a big guy and loves food. His breeders sent me home with formula and showed me how to spoon feed him and told me that although Sterling ate well he still enjoyed the evening feedings and told me to continue it until he did not want it anymore. Well the evening feeding lasted about 3 days and then Sterling just ignored my trying to spoon feed him anymore. I was panicked and PM Dave007 and asked him "what should I do??? My grey won't eat his formula even though I chase he around." I was told....."stop chasing him around". So I did and Sterling Gris is happy and so am I. The breeders I have know all abundance feed their babies and I think that is a smashing idea. If I am eating oatmeal, my greys both still like to come over and steal a spoon full or so.

We did a comfort feeding last night (and yes, I had the thermometer ready to gauge proper temp) - he still wouldn't use a spoon but would take it slowly from the syringe. He only took a couple CCs but that small amount seemed enough to settle him down and we didn't hear any crying the rest of the night. I will continue to try other soft foods and the spoon :)