NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He isn't trembling!

kave70

I just sat down to read this board and Sam was whistling up a storm so I went to reward him and say a quick hello. He put his foot out to me (a huge wooo hooo) so I picked him up and brought him here to the computer. I had a water bottle here and he leaned down and grabbed it. I am so excited... this is another big step for him. If and when he is out with me, he is usually so timid and trembling. While I know it isn't the ideal toy, I am so happy that Sam interacted and stole my water bottle. I even took a photo- it's not great because I'm balancing him and the water bottle, while sitting here.

This has turned out to be a great day!

asammy 003.jpg

That's great! I'm glad to hear when someone makes progress with a rehomed bird, since it gives me hope. Timber is warming up to me a little, but still won't step up. He isn't lunging or biting like he did when I first got him home though. He will let me touch his beak and scratch his head (sometimes) a bit. The down side is that he (or she) seems to really be attaching to my youngest son. The problem with that is that he is a college student and isn't here all that much. Timber gets so excited when he comes in. He goes to whatever side of the cage is closest to Dakota, and starts vocalizing to get his attention. Not jealous exactly, but I sure wish it was me!

That's great! I'm glad to hear when someone makes progress with a rehomed bird, since it gives me hope. Timber is warming up to me a little, but still won't step up. He isn't lunging or biting like he did when I first got him home though. He will let me touch his beak and scratch his head (sometimes) a bit. The down side is that he (or she) seems to really be attaching to my youngest son. The problem with that is that he is a college student and isn't here all that much. Timber gets so excited when he comes in. He goes to whatever side of the cage is closest to Dakota, and starts vocalizing to get his attention. Not jealous exactly, but I sure wish it was me!

It might take several weeks for us to have a repeat performance, but I'm sure it will happen again. These special moments give me the energy and the patience to just keep going.... especially when it's such a slow process. I'm very proud of him!

That is it one step at a time slowly progressing and the best part is as you go along the good moments will increase. Thank you so much for sharing these steps forward your post will help others understand the patience required to help a frightened bird become confidant and interactive with it's human companions.

I am so happy for you and Sam! I like your approach and philosophy with him, building his trust and helping him along without forcing him to be ready before his time. I believe this is a good way to take joy in the process. It is a win-win for you, for your family and for Sam. Thanks for sharing your happy moment with us. Success.